Web site Problem

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by M1ck1, Aug 16, 2020.

1. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

Just uploaded Template Toaster Website and Chrome is showing the mobile version on my desktop, while Edge and Firefox display correctly, last time I did this was with Dreamweaver 4 20yrs ago so code is not a strong point understatement thanks

2. philquad

philquad Member

wats ya url

3. OP
    OP
    M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

4. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Doesn't display right in Edge for me... everything is squashed in the middle.

JSmith

M1ck1 likes this.
  5. philquad

philquad Member

umm, humm, yes i see, templates are pretty hard to screw up, its thin on all browsers, howd you manage that? have you got hosting? c panel?

i can help you in wordpress if you want it http://bennettstax.com.au/

6. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I would start off in your style sheets. I haven't had anything more than a quick look but it seems you've got some strange "container" sizes and widths in there. There may also be some errors with the screen size setting in the css, I didn't get that far.

7. OP
    OP
    M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

cpanel ,desktop and tablet were ok just some alignment problems but mobile was crap and I tried to fix it I may have bit off more than I can chew. I used a start from scratch HTML 5 template, the missus didn't like any of the templates in word press or any of the others its her site I'm just the bunny, I think its one width settings , I'm trying to fix it now

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  8. OP
    OP
    M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

Yeah I'm in there now trying to fix it looking at the settings in the pages that displayed properly the first time thanks

9. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

It appears that your ttr_menu and ttr_page could be the issue, (or one of a few issues) both are in style.css but they could also be influenced by something in the bootstrap files, or other css files

10. OP
    OP
    M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

That will teach me to mess with stuff I don't really know, it seems more complicated than in 2004 cheers. Watercooling was heaps easier

11. OP
    OP
    M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

yeah I've altered the menu and container size and looking better, there is a setting for max and min width size in one pop ups what would be good values to cover desktop to mobile screens thanks for your help

12. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I was able to change the menu and the main body without any real issues but even after they change they were not both the same width so there is another setting in there somewhere. It also appears there is a few issues with the resizing and the containers because at lower than 992 wide your section inside the "ttr_page" is not 100% width, where as over 992 it is.

13. OP
    OP
    M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

I think I may have fixed that not sure it was originally set at 3442 max or something and 900 min it must have change as i had it on full width and it set my screen width, i've set it to 1200 max and 200 min now I'm changing the other settings. Do I still have mobile container set at 100% and only scale the font down?

14. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

You'll possibly need to set multiple screen sizes in the css, one for phones etc, one for tablets and one for over about 992px wide. Each one will inherit from those above but there will always be some elements that each resolution needs on it's own. You need to use !important at the end of element in each screen resolution section for it to override the previous element. You might need to change things like max-width, font-size, font-weight, border, margin etc as the screen res gets smaller but there is no hard and fast rule as to which ones need changing.

e.g. font size might be 12px at resolutions above 1000px wide but at less than 720 you might want it at 10px so the element under the @screen for max-width720 will be font-size:10px!important; that way it tells the browsers to override the 12px size at any screen res below 720px wide.

Damn, that's harder to explain than think about.

15. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member