Website design review/feedback

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by ni9ht_5ta1k3r, Sep 20, 2012.

1. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Been concepting and designing a personal website that i will use as a portfolio to get some business or get into a job as a web designer and I have been doing this for a TAFE course so far. I have only done one page so far so none of the links work yet but I am curious as to see what others think.

the mock version is at the site below:

http://www.kl23media.com/kl23m_mock/stylev4.html

so far that's all I have (the project hasn't officially started but i am doing this to give myself a heads up so when it comes time to start officially i can simply build it).

2. zeeps

zeeps Member

it's too busy. K.I.S.S

3. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

suggestions?

4. Philll

Philll Member

1. Lens flares are bad, mmkay

5. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

just distracting? will try it without the lens flare in the morning.

6. Philll

Philll Member

It's more of a signature move that you see from most people after they've used Photoshop for the first time, putting it in everything from photos, to websites, to letterheads etc

For a first website, it's better than 99% of most first websites I see, but it's hard to be any more helpful when typing from a phone

7. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

ok so lens flare = n00b then...while I think it looks cool I'll remove the lens flare and see if that will look better. I was trying to go for a mix of the metro UI and cover flow looks for the site. I originally was not gonna put a menu bar and have all the site links in the tiles but after looking at it I thought that many site visitors may not understand how to navigate through the site.

8. wwwww

wwwww Member

It's overdone.

9. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

As above, too much. But what jumped out was:

-The 2 big boxes on the right distract too much. They are also very different colours, doesn't really work
    -I didn't know which of the squares did something and which didn't. To be honest if I was a client, I wouldn't care. I just want information on your company, not to play a game of 'memory'
    -Too many boxes, simplify it. The boxes in the background are okay but the many white/black/red boxes are just too much.

10. power

power Member

what's with all those boxes? They don't do anything.

11. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

would just having it matrixing an image over the tiles be and have bottom right 5x2 section of boxes as one big box for some text (like a list of services - only three things) "less busy"?

i am trying out 5 columns with bits of work instead of the grid but i don't have all the pics i want to use so i'll keep working on it and upload it when i get home for a reappraisal.

12. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Will need to see it but anything that removes the total number of elements I think will be good.

13. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

http://kl23media.com/mock_v4.1/stylev4.1.html

I haven't got to the pics yet (will just be bits of stuff i've done) just getting the layout down. (in a tafe class atm so :p)

NOTE: they have no real function...just for looks of course.

14. ikonz0r

ikonz0r Member

I don't mind the concept. If each of the squares popped up a sample of some sorts it could work. Logo / Lens flair needs work.

Edit: Oops didn't see your last version. That's nicer :)

15. Loop Goose

Loop Goose Member

I wouldn't put "My Resume" on there, as it makes it seem more like a "student trying to get into webdesign" website, rather than a website offering clients a professional web design service.

I think the 2nd version is much better than the first. Most clients I build sites for just want something simple and straightforward, without all the bells and whistles.

16. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

maybe for a gallery when i do the portfolio pages.

i can see how the first one was like a n00b showing off.

the reason why i have the resume in their is because the site will act as both a business front and as an online portfolio to find work.

EDIT: chucked up some pics for those columns to see how it would look. so the left, middle, and right columns would have what i specialize in while the other 2 columns are for show :p

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  17. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

OK, I updated the 2nd link with a new design with some pics in those tiles... feel free to post your thoughts (i know, my art on the tiles is not great but it's original work and it'll do for now).

18. m3k

m3k Member

Moar lens flair, use drop shadows and bevel emboss it makes everything 3d,mane more gradients, people love dem gradients

19. Alby

Alby Member

Still too busy. Not with the boxes but with whats contained in them. There seems to be no main focus point to draw the viewer in.

I think you should also decide if it is for business or your own personal site. Someone wanting a product probably isn't going to want to watch tutorials or videos, they would want to see what your company can do for them. On that note, I would ditch the Cert IV/Uni links and merge the personal/commissioned works into the "Our Services" part. That way when they go to see what you offer they also see what you have don at the same time.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  20. m3k

m3k Member

straight up man- look at portfolios that tickle your pickle and copy them- give it a few years and u'll find ur self comfortable venturing in making your own designs that imho - don't try as hard and just show natural humble ability.

you've got a bit of improvement to go brother! keep it up, you got the coding down so that's good.

edit: list of things id change

logo- remove the directional blur,
    cut down on the images, and if there are anything repeating- cut that out too, you want ONE picture per box, don't collage it so much its too busy.
    see that gradient at the bottom? either chill out a bit and drop its opacity, or lose it all together,

those diagonal scan lines are old and only look good on low resolution monitors, now days not so appreciable but feel free to use them, some people think they're neato so whateverr floats your boat, i think they're nice but i love oldschool tech looking stuff.

make that background solid colour....

try making it a bit brighter too, its not hard to make a good looking dark site, but good looking mid-tones is more challenging, and even more attractive to potential clients.. ( mostly because most people enjoy bright happy positive designs )

make this ur V1 of your portfolio site, i rkn by the time u hit v4 or something we will find somthing sexy to oogle at :D

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012