Website Development

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by l.lai, Mar 24, 2009.

1. l.lai

l.lai Member

Hey guys,

Not sure if its the right section.

The gym i train at is looking for a redesign of their website.

www.vt1gym.com

They opened a new gym and want to launch a new website.

They've been given quotes of $2500-$3000 for a 20 page website, with hosting costing $300 a year.

Is this cost normal? $3000 seems pretty steep for a website, and after its developed are the customers usually trained on how to update and keep it going or does that usually cost extra and is part of the terms of the agreement?

When they designed the site themselves, hosting was very cheap yearly, and obviously the site was made by them so it didnt cost anything.

They're just asking me and i have no idea so i thought someone here might know.

Cheers.

2. flightcrank

flightcrank Member

$3000 for a static web site seems reasonable. not steep. For anything more dynamic like a content management system especially a custom coded one it should cost alot more imo.

3. Frazzman

Frazzman Member

Hosting sounds steep for the kind of website you are asking, but know nothing about the actual site or how many people visit it, I cannot make any fair assessment.

As for the development, If you are developing through an established company, 2.5k sounds about right for a complete redesign, recoding, and development of 20 static pages. Keep in mind that a company has overheads + profit to make on top of paying the coders and designers.

I would be expecting a nice design, with multiple revisions in the design process and w3c compliant pages to produced for this price.

You could most probably get id done cheaper by freelancers however.

4. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Wouldn't even get a design out of me for 3k.

5. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

Both seem pretty spot on to me.

6. mordy

mordy Member

the hosting is very high ... you can pick up a good host for 5-10 per month, theres no use to use their host.

the design part of it is for a pro company .. im sure u can get someone on the forum to do it for a bit less, but you will get what u pay for most of the time with these sorts of things.

7. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

When you pay for hosting in that amount, your paying for the company to maintain the site/server.

You have a lot to learn mordy.

8. Luke212

Luke212 Member

i dont know anyone who would charge less than 2.5k for a static site. most are 3-4k for small businesses and 25k-100k for larger companies.

9. Frazzman

Frazzman Member

Maintain the site server in what way? you mean upload it to a $10 a month host? and never look at it again?

10. Luke212

Luke212 Member

i assume they would be sitting on several thousand dollar per year servers. Can you host 200 domains for $10 a month? please let me know where!

11. jomo

jomo Member

Why would a gym need to host 200 domains?

12. w00tsTyLeZ

w00tsTyLeZ Member

$300 a year is nothing, thats like 1 guys time for 3 hours, out a whole year...

13. OP
    OP
    l.lai

l.lai Member

Ahhh okay, so the hosting also includes maintenance etc!!!

See i obviously have no knowledge in this area, thanks for all your help guys.

So usually in these circumstances, would the coaches of the gym (martial arts) just meet or send through updates weekly to be added to the site and the company would make the changes?

14. Luke212

Luke212 Member

no the web company does. i was saying that I dont think web companies buy a $10 host for each client. They buy one that supports multiple domains.

Server, $300/month = $3600/year
    Per domain, $10/month = $120/year

so after 30 or so domains youre better off.

no that is called a managed website. they are much more expensive, thousands per year. or charged like $150 per hour for changes.

the maintenance refers to server outages, backups, guaranteed compatibility, peace of mind, telephone support.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  15. OP
    OP
    l.lai

l.lai Member

Wow, so once the site is built, will they train you to make basic changes and updates to the site? otherwise how the hell will they update the site? or add content etc? News, upcoming events, results etc?

16. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Theres no reason why the Gym can't say "i have my own hosting, i need a new web site".

However if your going to be hosted BY the WEB COMPANY. Then your going to pay a lot more.

If the web company delievers you a website in working condition, and you cannot get it up and running for what ever reason. (i dont even care if its a static HTML page, no images, just a static page with "Hello World" on it.

If you cannot get that up and running on your host, that web company is under no obligation to help you.

If somewhere down the line, the website is moved to another server. You paying $10 to some company for hosting, they aren't going to give a flying fuck about you because your nothing to the large companies who are paying anywhere from $200 to $25k a month in hosting / dedicated hosting/services.

Your paying $300 for a company to host, and maintain your site for a year, if they move the server, they will ensure that its still up and running, they will ensure it's uploaded and configured properly and works to your liking. If you have any issues they will help you out.

When you pay for a CMS, you pay a lot MORE because the web company is giving you the ability to update and maintain your own site and content via a Content Management System.

With a static site, if you want changes. More often than not your looking at about $1000 per change depending on where you go, this includes the time of specing out requirements, raising a change request, doing the work, testing, deployment, and probably a bunch of other things, just to change the text on your homepage.

17. Luke212

Luke212 Member

the easiest answer for you is Read The Quote. Firstly, if its not in there you can assume they will not be doing it for free! Secondly, the best companies have everything in the quote because they are frequent and valid questions. if its not all clearly laid out in quote they are a dodgy company and cut corners. :thumbdn: the foremost priority for any company is to put you at ease.

18. mordy

mordy Member

maintain what?? they upload the site and then they do what?

I have called my $30 per year webserver (jumba) to fix file permissions, php errors, domain transfers ... and they are very helpful. I wouldn't spend more than that to host a bunch of static pages ...

i can believe you are convincing a gym owner with a few static informational pages that he needs to pay for type of the hosting you get for a site which will run a mission critical business app. He just wants a nice looking web presence ... it doesnt need 99.99% uptime with huge redundancies and a team of techies making sure its online.

edit: if you are spending money on it already, why isnt it something more easily maintanable like a cms?

19. Bradzac

Bradzac Member

Best to ask them, not make the assumption on what we say ;)

Also, Mordy, LOL u idiot.

20. platinum

platinum Member

For a static 5-10 page site that sounds reasonable.

Hosting "in house" is quite often at a premium rate, but you do get some advantages, i.e., if somethings is not working, you can simply call one company to sort it out, rather than shuffling between two (and the host blaming your web designers, and vice verca), less paperwork, and usually phone support rather than just email. They will also handle the signup process, making sure the host has the correct technologies installed, etc.

It might be easy for a (geeky) person to sign up for hosting and get a domain name all setup, etc - but for the average person it's all a bit of a mystery, so rather than stuffing around and wasting hours of time trying to work out what "PHP" is and just exactly why they need "bandwidth" it's easier to just let it be done by the web design company.