1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Website to sell video footage?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Digit, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Digit

Digit Member

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering what a good website or CMS platform is to market/sell stock video footage online? I'd assume something like square space would work? I'd also like to promote being able to do custom footage (interviews etc) to complement the stock footage.

Asking for a mate.

Cheers

2. dche5390

dche5390 Member

How will you market this marketplace to your target audience?
    Ads?
    Organic?

What is the intention of the site and where in the funnel does it sit?

Squarespace is rubbish.

PS - How will it differ to existing established video libraries?

Digit likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Digit

Digit Member

I suppose marketplace is the right term, but it is also a gallery to gain inquiries. It's not to compete with Stock video agencies, but sell footage taken by us, or do custom footage for clients (for instance we've done a lot of footage on Christmas Island on the crab migrations).

We'd try to reach the audience organically, it's a semi established brand so we'd be trying to expand the reach, and allow some simple/short wildlife clips to be bought online, but also to bring enquiries in about custom footage. So I suppose the wide end of the funnel?

4. dche5390

dche5390 Member

I see.
    Gotcha.

How will existing footage be hosted? Via unlisted YT, Vimeo or similar hosting service?

Since I have a SEO background, I am biased towards optimising for organic search and promoting individual asset visibility via organic means. This makes sense since I would think most footage will have corresponding long tail keywords (e.g., Chrismas Island crab migration).

It's almost an ecommerce approach to silo structure, where each video sits its own 'product page' with lots of descriptive text. You could even have an ecommerce backend to checkout if the footage is exactly what the user is after. Or funnel them to make a custom request?

Then you'd internally to these product pages via a large category page which is internally linked from the homepage.

Who are your customers?
    How do they search for footage?
    What do they want?

For something like this, a clean WP build is probably easiest. A custom build will cost a fuckload and overseas devs are ... yeah. Avoid the usual Themforest bloated rubbish. Even Divi is way too bloated with shit code. Something like Astra or Hello theme for Wordpress + Elementor page builder will get you up and running visually with zero CSS/JS background. Then build out site structure and product pages accordingly.