1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wedding Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Alper, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Alper

Alper Member

Thought it would be a good idea to start a banter thread based around wedding photography.

My Story,

After second shooting for 20+ weddings, and a few eshoots, I have started doing paid wedding work recently. I still think i have a long road ahead.

So far I've found it very challenging but i also have enjoyed it (most of the time. 15 hour days can take it out of you)

Main thing i have learnt up until now is that the business is not as glam and laid back as some might perceive. lots of work goes into it. getting the name out there, talking with clients, shooting, editing and the list goes on.

Having said all that, i love taking photos and would rather make a living off that than be stuck in I.T for ETERNITY!

That's me up until this point.

Think it'll be really good to have a thread were all the working wedding togs can just banter about different ideas.

please avoid shameless self promotion or plugging your personal business.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. Jim G

Jim G Member

Glam and laid back? I wish :/

Here's a question... as someone who does it on the side to their own job - do you worry about business insurance/litigation insurance etc.?

3. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Great idea for a thread Alper :)

Looking forward to seeing everyone’s experiences.

One thing I have to say to all contributors to this thread is to please avoid shameless self promotion or plugging your personal business.

Discussion of rates is welcome though, as are watermarked images!

EDIT: Also, a reminder that we have a list of OCAU Wedding 'togs here if you'd like to add yourself!
    List of OCAU Wedding Photographers

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  4. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

I've started to think about the litigation side as well. I've got the gear covered with insurance. But i've always wondered about a few scenarios.

-Sudden illness of the primary photographer that could not make it to a contracted wedding. Litigation?
    -Bridal party /guests stack it and break something during the shoot - Litigation or public venue liability?
    -Drop a 200mm f2 whilst changing it and it kills some ones dog. - Litigation?

5. OP
    OP
    Alper

Alper Member

i work under someone else's business, so im not 100% sure on that. Mainly as a second shooter or to cover double bookings.

6. Nafe

Nafe Member

I don't think you're alone in wishing you could take photos for a living rather than your day job. The truth of the matter is, very few will get to do this, especially to the level they need. I only know of a few personally (there are a few on here as well of course).

7. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

I would say a definite YES to insurance.

I want public liability insurance for any shooting I do (paid or otherwise). It wouldn't take much for a client to trip over a lighting cable and break something.

Or for a photographer to position/pose a Bride, only to see her slip over and break her pelvis. I'd imagine the groom would want to sue for 'damages' on his wedding night :p

8. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I think the thread is a good idea.. if it doesn't attract a trollfest. People will have to keep in mind that everyone shoots with different styles, different client bases and have all learnt in different ways. It doesn't matter what a KB warrior on the internet says, if the clients are loving it and paying then they are doing their job.

Own insurances or coverage under who you are representing. I think it is something that gets overlooked however.. for those starting out, testing the waters but not really covering all bases. It is something that can seriously impact your life in the long term (shit happens).

9. OP
    OP
    Alper

Alper Member

getting over that hurdle of "its very hard" is actually quite challenging at times. But if you talk and connect with the right people and work hard i think its doable.

10. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

I'll go first with an image.

At first I was p.i.s.s.e.d..o.f.f. when I got this home and realised I had too shallow a DOF (focus was on the ring, and I was too concerned with getting exposure right), but I included it on the disc anyway. Turned out to be the couple's favourite shot. :)

[​IMG]

11. checks202

checks202 Member

This..

Photography is a competitive market. You need to find a niche else your screwed. Wedding photography even more so considering that people these days are more than likely budgeting only $1000 for a wedding photographer. One of the main reasons I haven't gone into it ( along with a clear lack of experience ).

12. Nafe

Nafe Member

I didn't say it's not doable, but the number of people who do it as their sole source of income and profession is far less than those who do it purely on the weekends. I'm not saying you shouldn't try, but people have to be realistic about it (which you seem to be). Sometimes you see people who seem to be quite successful, and getting lots of work, but the reality is a long way from perception and they are struggling to make ends meet.

I've only ever really shot as a second shooter bar a couple of my friend's weddings. Being second shooter was plenty tough enough when you're shooting for someone highly successful, I can't really imagine having to manage the entire wedding as head shooter! :D

13. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

That is a common misconception though.. there are plenty of togs charging a good price and getting booked out all year round. It doesnt happen overnight, but there is still a healthy market for it.. and people are ALWAYS going to get married.

You need to find your own voice and direction though, know where you want to be and work on how you can get there. There isnt a standard path to follow, or way to do it.. some have things go right and bang bang bang they move quick, others go at a slower pace but build things up. Like with any business you need to sell your product and your brand.. you make the clients want you, and they pay for you.

14. Nafe

Nafe Member

Arch - I actually like that it's on the ring. The ring symbolising the committment to the marriage and joining of the couple as opposed to a kiss which they can do anytime :)

15. Jim G

Jim G Member

I dropped my day job to do it full-time and it certainly hasn't benefited us financially vs. sticking with the day job - I may be earning what I was before but this is several years later and I would have been earning more each year had I stuck with said day job.

The satisfaction is worth it, though, imho. But it's a bloody sight more work - well over 50 hours each week with some weekends stretching to 30 hours alone...

16. Power47

Power47 Member

personally i dont find it that hard but then i do love being busy and a challenge. tbh i found working a dead end 9-5 more difficult to cope with.

it has its up and downs, but overall its one of the best jobs imaginable... just dont screw up is all ;)

17. methd

methd Member

hrmmm.. it's an easy job :) the hard bit is editing on time when you're behind on all your editing and brides are emailing u every day to see how far you're away from their set!

18. Jim G

Jim G Member

Anyone here done this? I'm deadly curious to hear about other people's horror stories from wedding stuff-ups...

19. dandanmien

dandanmien (Banned or Deleted)

I've lost a memory card full of images.
    I've fallen sick during the ceremony.
    I've taken a nap during bridal prep because I was ill.

Shit happens all the time.

20. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

1st major stuff up. Went to car to get back up camera. Put bags and cameras down. Changed lenses. Took both cameras. Shut the boot.....
    Keys in the boot+bag with primes+batts+cards....:eek:

Lucky got NRMA on a Sat... I really did just pissed a little in my pants that day.