1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wedding Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Alper, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Xang

Xang Member

The combination of enjoying shooting weddings, and weddings being one of the few events that general consumers value enough to spend the amount required to be able to do it as a full time career.

If I was in it for the money, I'd be doing something else.

I've always maintained that you can make a reasonable/significant income doing just about anything if you are talented/focused/determined enough though.

It means that price will come down, some players will be forced out of the market, or in the real world, a combination of both ;)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  2. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

Just curious - does one's own quality of work factor into the equation?

Just as an outsider it would seem to me that an overwhelming part of the enjoyment is producing quality that is above par. However, obviously quality is only one component of running a successful business. So I'm just wondering if you can be happy just being merely competent though running a successful business.

3. wiztek

wiztek Member

Great insight, and good to see the pro’s weighing in.

I’ve always thought that it takes a lot of balls to pursue what you love as opposed to what is safe/comfortable. Even more so when you could be earning more doing something besides photography, but I guess it’s that balance between money and doing what you enjoy that makes the decision for you.

I guess there’s the whole running a business/being your own boss aspect too, which some would enjoy much more than others.

4. dche5390

dche5390 Member

Chasing perfection in one's art can lead to destruction.

5. sejanus

sejanus Member

Sure you can be merely competent. There are plenty of guys in the cheap bracket who fit into that category :)

As for how I do it, I typically have 2-3 editing days a week. 1 album day a week (i.e. album designs). The other day is taking care of the business side of things.

Although I could do it faster if needed, I generally allocate a whole day to each wedding edit wise. I know some guys who go further and spend 3 days on a wedding - I'm pretty quick on computer so don't need that.

6. dche5390

dche5390 Member

Lies! The secret is WINE!

7. sejanus

sejanus Member

I'm on a fitness binge now. The wine fridge is off limits until December :(

8. Nafe

Nafe Member

Lifting a big prime wears you out :lol:

9. lionman

lionman Member

Fits with the get what you pay for thing.

10. wiztek

wiztek Member

Question for the pros; what's the current status quo on providing RAWs (paid or otherwise) to those that ask for them these days?

11. dche5390

dche5390 Member

There isn't one. You do what you want. It's your business. No one elses.

12. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Agreed.

I dont for money or otherwise because I do not want to.

13. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Shot a wedding on the weekend. I am extremely new to weddings. Just wondering what tips people have with getting a consistent white balance throughout the day?

The ceremony changed from cloudy to full sun. Plus some in shadows. Then of course different locations for posed photos.

Is it just a good eye and manual adjustment?

14. dche5390

dche5390 Member

White balance? What is that? ;)

Auto-WB in-camera does the trick usually. Most "WB" issues are due to inappropriate exposures anyway.

15. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Depends how much you care really, I am fussy over it but there isnt much you can do when light conditions are constantly changingother than go with the flow.

I just spend a bit of extra time making sure it's all balanced and the skin tones are good when it comes to editing. If I am in a room or a situation where the WB temps are not going to vary much, setting them in camera can be good (especially to avoid too much mixture of colour) but .. who has the time.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  16. wiztek

wiztek Member

I have always used AWB (not shooting weddings or anything though).

I find the the AWB on the X-T1 a bit cool, so i'm going to start experimenting with using something warmer as a base line.

But yeah, otherwise just correct it in post. More work though.

17. Xang

Xang Member

Adjusting WB in post has no IQ loss, so I shoot AWB and fix it later.

18. methd

methd Member

Just use auto WB throughout the whole day and then at the reception set a custom WB. Easy.

There's a neat trick to setting custom white balance (on the nikon at least). Put it into live mode and point the camera where u need it. Dial in the right K temp and you can see it in front of you :) Not really a trick but lots of people dont do it

19. wiztek

wiztek Member

X-T1 does this too with the EVF.

20. wiztek

wiztek Member

So I’ve offered to take some photos for some recently engaged friends. They are having a small, budget wedding, and were not planning on having pre-wedding/engagement photos done. I’ve also never had the opportunity to shoot a couple, and it’s something I really, really want to do.

They’re keen and now I’m shaking in my boots. A lot of pressure to deliver, not just for the couple, but for myself too.

I’ve watched some youtube videos, taken in a lot of blog content but I’m still nervous about being able to get the job done. I have never taken photos of two people in this sort of context. I am most concerned about posing them. I’m going to copy a bunch of classic engagement shots (stealing from the blog content) and do my best to instruct them. Any tips? I think the ice breaker will be to take some normal shots first… happy snaps, then get into trying to pose them while giving them ample opportunity to just do their thing (don’t have anything longer than 50mm so may be challenging).

Also I’d like to recommend a location if they haven’t got one in mind. Just before sun set in Sydney. Somewhere not so busy would be preferred as I’d like to take my time, with no distractions, and I want the couple to feel as comfortable as possible. Any recommendations?