1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

SOLVED Weird HDMI/Audio behaviour with Panther Canyon 11th gen NUC (NUC11PAKi5)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by dcl, Aug 30, 2021.

1. dcl

dcl Member

I recently picked up a Panther Canyon NUC (NUC11PAKi5, i5-1135g7, etc). I had intended to use the device with my TV for HTPC and gaming purposes but I am having some very weird problems with the HDMI connection and audio.

I've got a Sony Bravia X900F TV connected to a Sony HT-X9000F soundbar via HDMI+ARC. Every other device I've used with this setup has worked perfectly, PS4/PS5/Switch, multiple PC's (Nvidia + AMD), multiple MacBook pro's, etc.

When I plug my NUC in via HDMI to the TV, no audio comes out of the soundbar. More interestingly, if the NUC is plugged in, even if I change inputs or swap to a free-to-air channel, there will still be no sound coming out of the soundbar. I have to remove the NUC, reset the TV, soundbar, etc to make everything work normally again. I find it extremely odd that just having the NUC plugged into the TV via HDMI and powered on, ruins the behaviour of the setup for other inputs.

I have tried:
    • Changing HDMI cables.
    • Changing HDMI ports on the TV.
    • Installing the latest video drivers (I'm using win10).
    • Updated BIOS.
    • Played with HDMI-CEC settings on the NUC.
    • Plugging the NUC into the soundbar directly and letting the video pass-through to the TV. Video works, audio doesn't work.
    The only thing that 'mostly' fixes the problem, is using a USB-C hub like this. However, this has 2 drawbacks:
    • Limited to 1080p/60 or 4k/30.
    • Imperfect connection/audio behaviour. It's as if the TV isn't always 'listening' for sound signal, if I play a short-duration sound, the TV won't play it, but if I play some music, after 1-2 seconds the audio will kick in on the TV, and the TV's information banner pops up with the current channel/connection/resolution/display information (as if someone new was plugged in).
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. OP
    OP
    dcl

dcl Member

Update:

Using a HDMI CEC-less adaptor that cuts out pin 13 solves this issue. Let's me do 4k/60 without the weird sound issue. The USB-C hub with a HDMI out port I was using to semi-solve the problem must have been removing the CEC signal.

Ultimately, this must be an issue with the NUC's GPU hardware or firmware. The problem persists even if HDMI CEC is disabled in bios, whereas the special CEC-less adaptor works fine.

pwlm1975 likes this.