Welders

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Beaistheman, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Beaistheman

Beaistheman Member

Well I've been looking for a welder for a while now as I want to get into some tig welding and want the option of stick for those quick jobs.

Been offered a 2nd hand kemppi 185 tig welder for $1100 or a cigweld acdc 200 weld skill for $1000. Both are 2nd hand and I know the kemppi is better but the cigweld give the ability to do alloys/ally so I'm a bit torn. Any opinions?

2. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

just my $0.02
    I buy cig gear myself "transtig 150" since new 20+ years old & only had to adjust the points for the h/f a couple of times
    really depends if you only want to do stainless "dc"or a combination with alloy(aluminium) "ac/hf" also
    Dont discard some of the chinese inverters on ebay, ive helped people in the past with getting and testing them, they run smooth & have pulse if you require that function

3. OP
    OP
    Beaistheman

Beaistheman Member

Hmmm I figure instead of eBay ones u end up paying almost the same for a decent ebay one as the above 2 ive been offered which are very good.

4. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

The ac/dc 1 gives you more options, its better to have it than not have it;)

5. OP
    OP
    Beaistheman

Beaistheman Member

Yeh I feel the same about ac, better to have it. The cig that I mentioned has a digital control panel which makes it pretty clear to adjust, and exact. Not a big fan of some of the cheaper ebay ones after I read some threads of a dude opening one up. Pretty worrying, but then again they are rebranded and sold under various brands. I mean look at this:
    http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/131120736099?nav=SEARCH

http://www.eastwood.com/tig-welders-eastwood-tig-ac-dc-welder.html

People say that Eastwood is pretty good but obviously limited Adjustment. I think the cig is the way to go

6. mils1

mils1 Member

I wouldn't pay those prices 2nd hand. Unimig do both a HF tig unit & a AC/DC unit for $750 (KUMJR180P) & $1250 (KUMJR200AC/DC) . Should have at least 18 or 36 month warranty (it varies year to year). They are imported & serviced by Welding Guns Of Australia. Eastwood welders are shit BTW, the best is Fronius which gives the smoothest arc but are really expensive. Your better off buying new, last thing you want do is spend money replacing a mainboard.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  7. OP
    OP
    Beaistheman

Beaistheman Member

see i kinda disagree there. I if pay 1000 for a welder, i want it to last like 10 years or something. If i get a 3 year warranty thats great, but if it fails then it fails and its going to fail again probably and be out of my pocket eventually....Also i realise that eastwood are crap, was just pointing out how large companies are rebranding such and such.

The kemppi are made in europe i believe (finland or something?) and the cigweld generally have good history (as the other poster). The Unimigs are Jasic. Worst thing about the Kemppi is replacement part and accessory prices. Cigwelds are reasonable.

Really dunno which way to go, but i definitely want AC.

Cigweld seems fair bit better than the unimig, but again new vs old.
    https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W174
    http://www.cigweld.com.au/product/diy/weldskill-200-acdc/
    20% duty at 185 vs 200 of the cig. 100% at 90 vs 100 of the cig. Kemppi is better than that but of course its only DC

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  8. shane41

shane41 Member

Grab one that does alloys. High freq TIG is amazing.
    For me anyway, just seems like soldering.

Don't look back.

9. mils1

mils1 Member

The unimig internals are built with better components than the Chinese Jasic versions, which is why you get a decent warranty. I would look at Fronius if you want something that lasts, I had one last for 18 years. I have a fabrication shop and all my machines get used constantly, I have used various brands and do know what I'm talking about, Esab is another good brand.

10. BioNiKaL

BioNiKaL Member

After a fair whack of research I ended up with a BOC welder, I was MIG though.

They might be worth investigating.

11. OP
    OP
    Beaistheman

Beaistheman Member

I know a guy that works at BOC, he told me they no longer use kemppi units and all of the cheaper ones are still chinese made but theyre alright.

I found these:
    http://www.magnumwelders.com.au/AC-DC-Tig-Welders.html

Heard some ok things from some brief research. Check out the duty, 60% at 200amps, wtf. Surely not. Better value than the unimig according to that info, but then again they are identical to this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WeldSmar...20548300950?pt=AU_Welding&hash=item1c113d1896

Just keep going around in circles. How can this ebay cheapo ac dc (also the magnum) be 100% duty at 154amps but the unimig only 90amps? Surely they're not made equal?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  12. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

The other thing to watch with duty cycle is some manufacturers put 15amp plugs on them, but when you read the manual, the duty cycle is done @ 32 amps input current

13. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

Is TerraOP still around?
    Last time I spoke with him he fixed welders for a living, would ask him whats what personally.

14. OP
    OP
    Beaistheman

Beaistheman Member

Ill try and get in touch with him.

15. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

I think his advise on Chinese machines was to buy from a company that looked like they were sticking around because they are your only hope for buying parts. Apparently all those Chinese machines look the same-ish on the outside yet are completely different brand to brand on the inside.

I've got a 200A weldsmart, welds aluminum and steel well enough for my needs.
    Had it 3 years, still works.

16. OP
    OP
    Beaistheman

Beaistheman Member

Thanks for the info. Yeh as mils1 said, they do order them with different internals. Makes more sense that theres so many.

How much did you pay for that one if you dont mind me asking? Theyre around 800 on ebay. The unimig ones look pretty good because of the amount of support they seem to have (not based out of a single shop).

17. heydonms

heydonms Member

I've got a Weldsmart MIG, I haven't used it too much (I was using disposable cylinders so it got expensive, just picked up an E tank so it should get a bit more use now). It seems to work fairly well for the price, but their support was absolutely shocking.

I had a part break after about 6 months (less than 30 minutes actual run time) and they did their damnedest to avoid repairing it under warranty. It took a heap of phone calls, emails and visits just to get them to give me a replacement. Once I got the old part off, it was clear there was a manufacturing defect and it was never going to last long. Since putting in the new part it's all going well but I dread having to deal with them again.

18. OP
    OP
    Beaistheman

Beaistheman Member

Thanks mate,
    All the feedback helps!

19. JunkDogg

JunkDogg Member

Some good points in this thread.

Duty cycle is number one priority.

I wouldn't pay the prices you have in th OP for 2nd hand stuff, as you can get brand new for those prices. Just need to shop around and wait for specials(Country Field Days are brilliant for this, always go on the last day).

I've had a Esseti AC/DC TIG for 8 years now and would never buy anything else. Yes, they are expensive but it's worth it in build quality. They have the smoothest arc I've ever used.

I'm a Boilermaker by trade and have been the Manager of a Maintenance department in Iron Ore for 4 years. I've seen all makes and models come through and seen what lasts, what doesn't and what is just plain crap.

Best bang for your buck, is the CIG line up of Caddy welders. We have used them for years, gone to other brands and models and always ended up back with them. Great duty cycle and good on warranty work.

I'd steer clear of Kemppi's as per personnel experience. They just don't last, they hate dust and shit the tin very easily. Though take into fact we work in a very dusty enviroment and my guys are harsh on gear.

Honestly my first priority would be Esseti and then a CIG machine. My father's business has used CIG Migs and Diesel Welders for years with no dramas and he looks after his gear unlike my workers, whomo trash everything.

My 2 cents anyway, if it helps at all. :thumbup:

20. frizzl

frizzl Member

Just out of curiosity, with your experience, (I am in a similar line of work) what do you think of the Lincoln AirVantage 400? That has always seemed to be the workshop pick and a number of boilies I've known has been on their trailers also... Just wondering!