1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Well this is interesting, yet scary....

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Current, Jun 12, 2022.

1. rg144

rg144 Member

Current I (genuinely) once and for all, want to know why you're still on Win 7 ;) Not for debate, but sincerely out of curiosity :thumbup:

2. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

I gotta say, using Windows 7 and choosing the username "Current" is pretty great irony. I dig it.

MUTMAN likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Current

Current Member

Im on phone, so please excuse spelling and grammar.

In no particular order.

Win 10 is spyware.
    Win 10 has corrupted my file system and cost me time and money.
    Win 10 looks shit and i hate the way everything is located in an unintuitive layout.
    Win 10 looks shit, win 7 looks nicer on the eyes.

Win 10 has to be messed with to get a atart menu and classix simple layout and theme. Even then its just a bandaid.

Edit.

Forgot about win 10 sneaky shit of turnjng things back on after i disable

Installing shit i dont want, forced advertising

Having updates at the worst times... working on that project ? Nah have an update, will take a few hours to complete.... 11 hour later on your aussie net connection....

Its like having a car wjth the seats, wheels ect all in different places than usual, then the car auto drives itself to a dealership when you are driving to a weekend family bbq... or restarts itself while doing 110km/h down the motorway... oh, dont forget the stickers on tje car you didnt want, or ask for. Oh and we record everywhere you go, how you get there, who you travel with, call or sms with the in car connectivity features.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  4. rg144

rg144 Member

lol I actually giggled. When one asks for why you're on Win 7, and gets an answer for why Win 10 sucks :) Fine, we'll assume the reverse of what you said for win 7 == true.

5. OP
    OP
    Current

Current Member

Its the electrical meaning of the word as im doing electrical engineering at uni

6. OP
    OP
    Current

Current Member

Win 7 does not turn stuff back on that i turn off.

Win 7 does not have a shit system/layout and is nit harsh on the eyes.

Win 7 has never done an update on my pc that has corrupted the file system causing data loss, time and money costs.

Win 7 doesnt have forced advertising within it.

Ect:

7. flu!d

flu!d Motoring and Intel forum admin

Wow.

Not only is the context of your argument questionable in places and not in line whatsoever with reality. I honestly believe that you think the extreme of paying for a loaf of bread using a wheelbarrow load of fifties is somehow a good thing and we should just suck it up because that's how the world works. After all..."It's quality bread".

I remember a world where that wasn't the case, I prefer that time. When Microsoft became too demanding, I switched to Linux - And I never regretted doing so. So obviously, I was being sold a measure of convenience I didn't need and as a result of voting with my wallet I'm now better off as a result.

When the reserve bank gets involved because the cost of living is simply too expensive as a result of excess 'inflation', that includes all 'goods and services'.

Or like having a car where you turn off the start/stop feature only to have it enable itself again in ~50klms worth of driving (oh wait, that actually happens).

Current and JSmithDTV like this.
  8. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I see... :Paranoid: :lol:

As you may have noticed, my comment was general about corporations... not MS specifically. Well aware they don't give a shit, but that doesn't negate fora discussion on the negatives and positives of Win11. Win7 is a massive security risk... I wouldn't be using it personally if that PC is online at all. I'm unsure if anyone in this thread has actually watched the 2nd video posted on this subject by that YTer, as some of the main concerns have not even been discussed. I would have thought one specific issue would have irked you immensely... ;)

Discussion is to be aware... don't discuss at ones peril IMO.
    Well I certainly don't pay... YMMV. :)

JSmith

flu!d likes this.
  9. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

I'm cool with people subjectively not liking things. Nobody can tell you what you do or do not enjoy. But "intuition" doesn't exist in computing.

After eating, breathing and excreting, you had to learn everything else. Computing was no different. "Intuition" is something people who grew up with Windows 95 to 7 confuse with two decades of learned behaviour. And if you're as old as me, you'll remember the bile spat when Windows 95 arrived and was declared "too different and unintuitive" by the masses compared to Windows 3.1.

People said the iPhone was too confusing on launch. Windows 7 had long time XP fans screaming from the pulpits. We quickly forget how difficult things are the first time we use them, and especially as we age, the barrier to entry of needing to learn a new skill becomes increasingly difficult as we lose our neuroplasticity. It's also really, really easy to forget 20 years of learned habit effort, and convince itself it's just "Intuition".

Windows 10 isn't "unintuitive". It's just a bit different to older Windows. And again, you're well within your rights to love it, hate it, not care about it, or any shade of grey in between. But the problem isn't intuition, and you've only got a future of pain ahead of you if you think user interfaces aren't going to keep changing forever more.

The only constant is change.

You certainly do. You might just be blind to when and where. But you do.

10. rg144

rg144 Member

And with that folks-

Don't believe the hype that your being conditioned into paying for something. Or the reserve bank will step in and save you. Or that the reserve bank will put an end to this. If anything's as sure as the sun heading north & south, its that the masses don't change. But that doesn't mean you can't decide what software you use without a big stink :p All it takes is a click of a button.

Negative mate. No mention of extremes, let alone was there any mention of bread, or paying through the roof of bread. We're just going further away from the topic [again].

Nevertheless 4 or 5 video subscriptions does not equate to bread. Nor do you need 4 or 5 video subscriptions to replace a video store :rolleyes:

The simple matter at hand is if you don't like software, don't use it.
    If you don't like what corporations are charging, don't pay for it.

How many times to do we have to repeat this?
    Why does economic x/y/z condition affect your decision to click a button?

Watched it. What's new, what are you alluding to?

Every big corp does this in some form or fashion. From Google, to Apple, to Amazon, to Netflix; with learned behaviours, to the folks that sell your usage. To the retail industry that advertises based on what, to the finance industry that onsells your orderflow.

You can opt out.

Seriously guys- keep it to Win11, not the economic environment. What are we complaining about specifically?

11. flu!d

Being bent over and told we should just take it because that's how the world works, while others think such actions are perfectly acceptable even though the evidence now exists that we've reached the tipping point where people may actually say "we're opting out". If MS do reach a point where they charge for certain Windows features linked to MS accounts, people may actually consider alternatives, despite what we've been conditioned to believe is convenient.

Furthermore, if mega corporations want my personal information, they can pay me for it; or where possible I'll use the product that doesn't pass on my personal information.

But according to yourself, mega corporations have to make a profit killing, so....:rolleyes:

Actually...You really do. Let's not forget the record store.

Current likes this.
  12. rg144

rg144 Member

Discussing what if MSFT scenarios, tipping points, noted.
    No-one is bending you over, tried to repeat a thousand times, but still not reaching you, noted.
    Never mentioned mega corps have to make a profit/killing as opposed to you can opt out, noted.

Lol. Trolled again, noted :thumbup:

13. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

The possibility of mandatory secureboot and the effect of same doesn't sound too flash... 'slippery slope'.

JSmith

14. flu!d

Except they are, hence the reference to interest rate hikes as individual expenditure vastly overwhelms income. A point you choose to conveniently ignore even though you brought SaaS into the discussion - Noted.

I mean, trying to force the idea that SaaS is cheaper then outright buying games/movies when you'll only buy the titles you want on a one time basis and actually own (and likely of better quality), while not paying an ongoing subscription for a hot mass of garbage you wade through just trying to find something worthwhile to watch knowing that all the good media is likely geoblocked, is plain ridiculous. Micro transactions while gaming are fast becoming a bane of the industry, while game studios totally ignore the financial impact to the consumer while profits are at an all time high. 'Opting out' is quickly becoming impossible unless you want to flounder on old maps or struggle (to the point of disillusion) to advance in the game.

15. OP
    OP
    Current

Current Member

what happens when you want to take the hard drive out of the machine to save data and the new machine is locked out > ?

16. flu!d

That only really happens if drives are encrypted. The problem with secure boot is Microsoft are holding all the keys and can therefore dictate just what operating systems run on what should be an open platform.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  17. rg144

rg144 Member

I thought it was clear when I changed the avatar- the only thing getting bent over is that fly. Although I am genuinely sorry (somewhat concerned) you feel everyone is getting bent over, that's a bleak state of affairs.
    Finally!
    At present you can disable Secure Boot on 99% of new mobo's. I can see laptops having more Secure Boot mandatory; but again long before the days of Secure Boot- laptops have become less upgradeable (hardware wise); and we're already seeing laptops that are locked to OS's so again this is nothing new.

If PC's take the direction of laptops- where they effectively become toasters, and hardware is locked to software (honestly can't see that happening, people have been saying this for 2 decades yet the PC/desktop industry continues to remain open, thrive and is just as modifable/hackable as ever before), I'm pretty sure you'll have a long line of other OS's and options to choose from ;)

Fwiw- I've read a few articles about the potential now for dual bios's with/without Secure Boot (or for OS's that do/don't require), not to mention alternative approaches, but we're really looking at what if scenarios again.

But to be clear- Secure Boot is not a problem with Windows 11, disable it if bugs you that much.

18. flu!d

And the consumer is the fly that's bent over.

Well, as stated, I wouldn't expect a person that had the Apple logo as an avatar to show much empathy towards the consumer in the current economic climate. The reality of the situation is undoubtedly bleak as consumer confidence drops. But, perhaps that's what's needed to force change regarding products, services, ownership, freedom and privacy to the benefit of the consumer.

And expose yourself to all sorts of nasties introducing themselves as part of the bootloader process. No thanks.

19. rg144

rg144 Member

C'mon dude, enough with the back & forth bickering and Apple bizzo, we dont need to stoop to childish levels, I can go to Facebook for this nonsense.

As said from the start- there are no bad intentions with Secure Boot. Its utility in preventing specific attacks/serving as a mechanism for root hardware protection is there for people to love or hate. I cant tell you what Microsoft's intent will be in the future, for all we know their monopolistic behaviour of days past could resurface should they go on a power trip.

So finally we get to the root of the complaining- it's not Secure Boot, rather Microsoft holding the keys? To what end? Google owns your data.
    Also- it becomes very difficult to keep a converstaion going when big post edits like above keep popping up. Nevertheless- not trying to force an idea of cheaper; rather [AGAIN] it depends on your requirements/how you consume ffs.

We get it: You don't like subscriptions :thumbup:

But guess what- some of us do like some services. Some of us also like owning software/paying outright. Some of us also dont have the option to subscribe as outright is the only option.

And 'opting out' is not becoming impossible, there are other options if you're willing to compromise; but sounds like you don't and this is a 1 sided conversation.

The troll has been fed. Peace dude (for the 2nd time in a week) :thumbup:

Oh- and the fly is the fly gettin boned by another fly :rolleyes:

20. flu!d

And just like the other thread you keep trying to refer to, my point has been made, it's proven by the current economic climate, and I stand by it.

Childish is essentially your new Avatar while you proudly highlight it's one fly getting apparently boned by another fly. I mean, that's 'literally' the most childish part of this whole thread.

The fact is: Contrary to whatever perspective you're failing to highlight, subscription based models benifit companies, they are not intended to benifit consumers unless you actually fall for the lie that is 'conveniance' - Especially considering that quite often there's no increase in convenience.

There comes a point where people simply cannot afford to keep paying for multiple subscription models that keep increasing in price while wages and consumer spending confidence goes backwards.

"I enjoy paying too much for multiple products or services" said no one ever. So c'mon dude, enough is enough while you deliberately keep missing the point.