"We're overpriced: Telstra CEO admits"

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by MR CHILLED, Nov 4, 2009.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

No surprises here, but surprised to see an admission. I'm a Telstra BB customer myself.....gleeming discounts every 6/12 months, high pricing is probably why they are quite willing to give these large discounts.

Good to see price cuts coming, finally :thumbup:

"We're overpriced: Telstra CEO admits"

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/biz-tech/were-overpriced-telstra-ceo-admits-20091028-hk9a.html

2. Sankari

Sankari Member

I would have taken cable instead of ADSL2+ but Telstra and Optus made it impossible with their ridiculous pricing.

Way to go, guys!

:rolleyes:

3. dephilile

dephilile Member

Fingers crossed they will price there ADSL2 service more competitively, maybe even try to undercut other internet providers which will force a price war. They can price their ADSL2 service however they like because they don’t have to let other ISP’s use it in the same way they have to share the original ADSL network.

4. omen_child

omen_child Member

I've heard nothing since this announcement last week - I wonder what their definition if 'imminent' is?

5. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

6. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Im not sure if they've moved out of line, or really if the other players have left them out on a limb. Im not surprised that their market share is being attacked. Guy in my office is with TPG and i think yesterday he told me they're now doing 50gb/50gb on/off peak for $50/m? Telstra clearly doesnt even bother competing on price... just flashy adds and the superior NextG network. I've been everywhere man.

Satisying cutomers or defending/attacking market share? Not that i really care... im a cable customer and whilst the service itself is superb, its fu--ing expensive.

Thodey... soft touch :lol:

7. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

'Imminent' = early December.

You may be in luck, MR CHILLED. Rumors are that cable is going to 100Mbps (hopefully beyond Melbourne and Sydney) with 50GB and 100GB shaped plans.

8. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Dont even have the 30Mbps service here in Adelaide :mad: Not that i kick 17Mbps out of bed for farting.

Im guessing new modem for 100...

9. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Telstra really are all over the park. Probably the worst value ADSL2+ around for $/GB, especially with uplaods counted, not much better on non compariable cable plans. Yet they have the best valued Unlimited ADSL2+ for $300 p/m. A perfect example why TW and Retail/Bigpond should be seperated IMHO.

10. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

If they consider quota free stuff like Xbox and Steam I'll be pondering a move.

Optus's lack of consideration for things like this are totally undermining their long term value with so much dloadable content.

11. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Old? It is? Article is dated 28/10/09......Thodey made the annoucement the same day. What's old? What am I missing here? :confused:

At this point I'd probably rather have a price cut than more gig and faster downloads.

12. glasnt

glasnt Member

I'm guessing he's trying to say that it's old news that Telstra is overpriced. It's been one of the least bang-for-your-buck ASDL providers for.. well, forever! :p

13. r8response

r8response Member

Most of the shit on Steam is quota free on BP :Paranoid:

14. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ahhhh, well yeah of course....duh....heh....but the point of the article and post is that a Telstra big wig has admitted such ; )

15. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Yeah, just found out :)

Thing is with the 360 streaming HD movies I need an ISP which will cover that and no ones likely to be offering that soon although Telstra is a possible contender.

16. Merudo

Merudo Member

is that unlimited* or unlimited ?

17. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

30Mbit/60GB Cable customer here for at least what like $120 per month, it sure is way too expensive thats for sure, but I just cant settle for slower or less cap :thumbdn:

I sure do hope it gets cheaper and faster asap.

18. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

>Unlimited< true all you can eat, with business SLA and all that jazz. take a quick search, its been mentioned several times around the place. :)

19. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

Unlikely, but let's hope they drop their wholesale prices as well. :D

20. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

What Telstra need to do is make a 60GB Liberty plan and drop the price to match the current Liberty plan, then have a 120GB plan as the top end plan.