Western Digital shipping 2.5TB and 3TB Caviar Green HDD's

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Oct 20, 2010.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

[​IMG]

Western Digital has today introduced two new Caviar Green 3.5-inch internal hard drives, 2.5TB and 3TB models which make use of 750GB platters, the Advanced Format technology, and are bundled with a PCIe x1 controller enabling operating systems to correctly 'see' and address their capacity.

http://wdc.com/en/company/releases/PressRelease.asp?release=57c317bc-4000-4a5a-8920-3ffcd8205f5f

Product Link: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=866

Operating System support for drives with greater than 2.19 TB capacity

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  2. DeejW

DeejW Member

excellent should bring the 2tb drives down :thumbup:

3. lordaus

lordaus Member

Does anyone know when these drives should start to be sold in Australia?

4. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Pricing has dropped a very good amount over the a couple of months. I'm hoping for 2TB just under $100 bucks in the not too distant future.

5. DeejW

DeejW Member

6. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Four bay NAS, 12TB of physical storage.... :D i know what i want for Christmas!

7. issa2006

issa2006 Member

WTF? WHY DO I WANT A CONTROLER? i just want the hdd to work on any controller, ? i got 18 sata ports + 4 controllers allready no space left(slots) in system

do you need special setting for the seagate 3tb hdd?

wd link is wrong?
    For more information on solving the 2.19 TB drive barrier, please see the WD information sheet at http://products.wdc.com/largecapacitydrives.

is hdd basic install.???

no xp support for this hardware/ controller card? hdd+

http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_caviar_green_3tb_review_wd30ezrsdtl

quote"
    Conclusion

The Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB drive is the first drive of its capacity to be available for purchase for use as a boot or secondary drive. Seagate was technically first to market with their external 3TB storage solution, but it has not been sold as a bare drive for DIY use. The 50% capacity jump is great if you are working with limited bay NAS units, which might already be maxed out with 2TB drives. In a given RAID 5 implementation going from four 2TB drives to four 3TB drives means your total storage capacity goes from 5.5TB up to 8.3TB.

Besides the significantly higher starting price over the 2TB Caviar Green ($189.00 MSRP for the 2.5TB and $239.00 for the 3TB), the new 3TB model does have its drawbacks. Compatibility is limited, there is no current Windows XP support, and even with the HBA add-on card you still might run into problems. If you think this drive might be something you are interested in, you might want to make sure you check our forums and comments at retailer websites to see what other users with your hardware are saying. As time goes on though, every system will be moving to become UEFI compatible, and this issue goes away on its own. Until then, if you can’t wait to finally increase the capacity of your machine, or absolutely must have the latest hardware, the 3TB Western Digital Caviar Green might be for you."

"Compatibility

In the introduction we mentioned that WD knew from the start that there would be some compatibility issues with various systems, but they didn’t want to hold back this drive back any longer. In our lab we actually ran into a problem of getting the Caviar Green 3TB drive to recognize its proper capacity in our test rig, even with the HBA add-on card. No matter what we did the drive would only recognize as a 746GB drive.

In one of our alternate Linux-based systems the add-on card actually worked as intended, showing the drive’s full capacity, and allowing us to run the Crystal Disk Mark tests on the very outside and inside of the platters. In our test rig we were only able to make use of the outside 1/3 of the drive, which was fine for our IOMeter tests, but would have given false readings in CDM.

We also tested the 3TB Caviar Green in two NAS units being tested in our lab, including a Synology DS411+ and a QNAP TS-459. Both models recognized the drive as a 3TB model and were eager to create a properly sized single partition on the drive. Neither seemed to throw as much of a fit as our Dell XPS 9000, which wouldn’t show more than a 746GB capacity with or without the HBA."

8. Hive

Hive Member

Why they didnt use the 6Gb/s controller eludes me

9. sub.mesa

sub.mesa Member

Some controllers may not support >2TiB booting (from GPT). Could also be a Windows limitation.

Under other OS you shouldn't need anything special and should be able to use on normal controller just fine.

Exciting are the new 750GB platters; but it's still a 4K sector with emulation drive, i assume?

10. revhed

revhed Member

It's overlay software all over again!

Whenever I see these announcements for bigger drivers all I can think of is "Loose more data than ever before at your next HDD failure!"

It's great that we can store all this information, but I think it's high time they do more work on improving the robustness of storage, the speed of transferring it and the ability to recover it.

11. sub.mesa

sub.mesa Member

Mechanical storage won't ever be reliable. So much better to work around its unreliable storage using redundancy and backups. Perhaps SSDs one day will be more reliable; but they are not that much more reliable than HDDs at the moment.

So do not trust the storage device; but rather trust technologies that circumvent the unreliable storage hardware properties; such as ZFS.

Mechanical storage will keep all its limitations it has today. It will never be reliable, and never be truly fast. Not being forced to use it is a blessing for everyone using computers.

12. revhed

revhed Member

Yeah, I know. But there are already problems backing up large data arrays in the enterprise. There's also those theories that it'll take longer to rebuild 2TB drives than the next failure is likely to occur.

I've started to experiment with ZFS (nice work on the GUI BTW!) But it's still limited by how fast you can get data on and off disks to replace those that die. (and it the tropics they fail a whole lot faster than the cooler climates I can tell you!)

13. issa2006

issa2006 Member

wasnt adf (adv disk format) tech sup overcome this?

14. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

15. Copie

Copie Member

2TB's are already below that if you know where to look (i brought 9 F3's not long ago @ 91 a pop)

16. Jon187

Jon187 Member

Be a brother and share...

17. Copie

Copie Member

EOL special, since they were being replaced with F4G's.

Though i got 5 WD20EARS for 110 each, and 3 for 100 each several months ago.

Also PCCG had 1.5tb's for 69 on Monday, which works out to be better c/gb. They are keeping F4G's for 119 as well.

18. xPanda

xPanda Member

That storagereview.com article doesn't explicitly say so, but the content, such as the mention of a difference in performance depending on 4 Ki alignment, seems to suggest that the drive is presenting 4 Ki sectors. Which is shit.

Speaking of shit, that article is a steaming pile of it. Whoever wrote it ought to be taken out the back and shot. The charts are almost maliciously confusing, the legend isn't ordered the same as the bars, captions come before the chart. And there is a small section titled 'Aesthetics', where they bemoan the lack of LEDs and a window on the drive? They must have let the usual reviewer's pimply teenage son write this article. I don't usually get worked up over things like that, but that was really awful.

Oh, and despite using the prefixes correctly when mentioning the 2.19 TB barrier, in the conclusion he gets them wrong when talking about the growth in size of a 4-device RAID5 array. And he even fails at rounding the numbers.

Ah, looking at the brightsideofnews.com review shows a picture of the drive surface, which says LBA = 5860533138. LBA * 512 = 3000592982016, which is 3.0 TB (2.729 TiB). So yes, still only presenting 512 B sectors, with apparently no way to disable this emulation for people who know what they are doing. Though it probably isn't reasonable to expect them to have this feature on a non-enterprise drive.

EDIT: The anandtech review is much nicer.

19. Hive

Hive Member

20. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

If i'm not mistaken, none of the blue or green series of drives come with SATA 6.0Gb/s only the Black models....another difference between the series'