1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

What adapter/cable do you use to charge your USB C Macbook?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by drunkntigr, Dec 6, 2018.

1. drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

I'm aware there are issues with cheap chargers and cheap Type C cables (I believe mainly issues with the wrong resister being used for usb type a to type c) not working well on charging the macbook especially the 15" macbook that needs the 87W charger.

I'm just amazed why 1 usb type c cable literally costs $30 (type c to type c) and the charger another $130.

I've bought the satechi charger 75W and am waiting for the ugreen type c to type c cable. I'm using a 2017 macbook pro.

What is everything else using as reviews of the apple charger and cable are lacklustre.

2. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

I am still using the one supplied by apple, but have replaced the cable with a HOCO 87W USB-C cable. The reason for this is it has a magsafe type connector on the computer end, which will prevent my computer going for a flight if someone trips on the cable. I also have a Cygnett Charge up Pro 27Ah battery pack that not only charges the laptop at full power (13" model) of 60W, but also does iDevices/Android as well. The only drawback of this battery is it does not have power pass through, i.e. it cannot charge a device on the 12W ports while it is charging. This is minor though, as it has such a massive capacity that it only needs to be charged once every 1-2 weeks depending on how much I use it. It only take 4.5 hours to fully charge from the macbook pro charger.