What amp/dac & headphones/speakers are you using?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by ajkun, Jan 20, 2012.

1. DUS x SSJ4 x

DUS x SSJ4 x Member

CANS: Audio Technica A900x
    MIC: Modmic 5.0
    AMP/DAC: Astro TR mixamp (its counts right?)

Setup is optical into Xbox one. USB to PC. I run chat through the xbox app on windows 10 which allows me to just use my modmic for voice and can record and stream through OBS.

The mixamp is temperamental though... does funny things all the time...

2. l.uke

l.uke Member

SOUNDCARD: Asus Soar 7.1
    HEADPHONES: Audio Technica AD700x
    MIC: Modmic 3.0

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  3. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Has anyone tried the TEAC NAD - D 3020 Hybrid Digital Integrated Amp. I love my TEAC AI-101DA but fuck I'm not sure what's wrong but volume randomly increases and decreases, hot or cold. It's not severe yet, some days it won't do shit. I would have to fight the remote volume to zero it back down because when this happens the volume knob on the unit fails to respond. But when it works I fucking love this unit, 99% of the time.

4. connico

connico Member

You mean the NAD-D 3020 yeah I run one for my computer... The sound is very musical. Performance is similar to the Original NAD 3020 which I still have. Build quality is the same as other NAD products...

5. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Where did you give your money for one?

6. connico

connico Member

7. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

8. connico

connico Member

Yeah but the 101 is a Teac... ahahah Im surprised you spend money on that thing lol

9. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Brand snob

Edit: No sub connection? :(

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  10. connico

connico Member

damn straight i am... yes it was a Japanese corporate... but the long history for quality and innovation is gone...

Hows the 101 working out for you again...

11. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Still going, just anticipating requiring a repair. Or it could last me until I do a new PC overhaul again. So this is my pre-emptive wah. We all can't work 2 days a week like you and earn 7 figures mate.

12. connico

connico Member

... 4-5 days with travel...

The D3020 has a 3.5mm subout... just bare in mind that its not high pass filtered...

13. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I might keep investimagating then, ta.

14. connico

connico Member

Whats your budget?

Have you look at the Denon PMA-50 + Sub pre out?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  15. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Actually, I got the DAC for $199USD, only added the extra $80 or something for the LS-101 speakers, then add shipping to AU, total was $300USDish.

I love the sound for the price. The bookshelf are underpowered I think, not loud enough, but my OSD PS88 completes it. I'm only using an MSR7 also which I love. I'm not the one to spend thousands on audio, that's just me though, not hardcore. So maybe, considering I "might" do local for DAC, maybe $500 tops? Something that will fit nicely with what I've already got, just hook up my sub, bookshelves, and MSR7 and I will be happy. Provided no quality degradation from where I will be coming from.

16. coolroy

coolroy Member

Managed to pickup a new set of Steelseries 840's .

Very comfortable & easy to setup, both via wireless with optical input from my pc & bluetooth to my Samsung tablet.

I have crappy hearing so audio response is non critical for me.

In fps games the explosions in BF1 are nice & strong & overall the sounds are almost as good as my old wired Sennheisers.

Battery performance seems to be to specs but will need to see how they perform over time.

All in all very happy with them!:D

17. Skitz0

Skitz0 Member

I've been on the hunt for an Integrated amp with a decent DAC/headphone amp built in which also has sub-out. The Cambridge CXA80 technically ticks all the boxes but I was a little disappointed by its performance. I think they are a little picky with pairing, we tried Elac Debuts, Elac uni-fi and Kef Q series. The Elac stuff is harder to drive being 85db but they are 4ohm and the CXA80 is meant to be making 120w/ch @ 4ohm. Turning it up beyond 12'oclock the amp just falls apart musically and that wasn't even 'loud'.

I guess I'm a little annoyed because I have a Marantz 2220B which is 20w/ch and it drives the Elacs beautifully. I have some Kef LS50's coming next week which I'll try with the Cambridge and Marantz. I'm not expecting magic from the CXA80 but we shall see.

/vent

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  18. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Yep, I use on with my PC too, driving a pair of Krix Equinox speakers and a Krix sub. it does really well.

Have you considered the Yamaha A-S701?

19. Skitz0

Skitz0 Member

I had the A-S700 and was really underwhelmed driving my Kef IQ3 bookshelves. From memory it was a little bit thin sounding and I kept having to turn the treble down. It could also have been the pairing with the speakers I had at the time. I should mention that this is for a PC system so its all near field. I wonder if they have made any significant changes to the amplifier side. Have you heard it?

Good suggestion though :thumbup:

Edit: The As-701 doesn't have a USB dac built in. I thought I read somewhere that it did.

20. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

I have an A-S701 that I use in my mancave .. driving a pair of 25yr old Orpheus Nexus 2 floorstanders. It's a bright amp, but I like that, and it seems to suit my speakers. I'm very happy with it. No idea how it compares to the A-S700 sorry.

Yeah, no USB DAC input, only coax and optical. You'd have to go up to the A-S801 to get USB, but it doesn't seem to be sold in Australia for some reason (or not that I've seen).