What amp/dac & headphones/speakers are you using?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by ajkun, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Yeah haha. Different price brackets bro!

Isn't many high end closed options.

LCD XC, PM1, MrSpeakers Aeon

2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Honestly if you want more bass from the 1060 which aren't that bad with bass (mine was the earliest version back in 2016 and had been heavily modified) you might be after a more V shaped sounding headphone. Closed backs generally offer that "bass" you're looking for compared to open air headphones.

3. Tazor

Tazor Member

My Mistake, think I got mixed up in the conversation somewhere...

4. Suopermanni

Suopermanni Member

I'll admit it's a bit hard to tell at times! Sorry if I sounded rude and blunt.

5. Bourke

Bourke Member

We're all phile-friends here, it's a safe space .... jus no My lil Pony crap or EDM fluro's

AKG K712 inbound....tried for 812's but denied....FR looks similar but price diff is a $500 jump..:(:(
    New amp inbound next week...1.3w @ 300ohm should be enough.
    Oh and a JDS 3 stage EQ, coz all the best guys EQ their phones, it's :leet::leet::leet::leet:

Can I get some feedback on DAC's ATM it's a JDS Labs, different albums sound similar on levels and vocals and it's kinda annoying, guessing it's DAC.

I'm looking at DRAGONFLY RED or CAMBRIDGE DAC PLUS or CHORD MOJO(but prices getting up there) or SCHIIT MULTIBIT something something.
    Dragon is cheapest and fairs well with reviews....idk wat I want really, if it's transparent or warm or boosting...something cheap and different...has to be USB/lappy/pc friendly
    Phones/amps/music is for everything so flexible is good.

6. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

If it's just for DAC I'd go the mojo. Crystal clear and such a versatile little unit. Can run HD800 etc reasonably well too, ticks the portable box too.

7. Bourke

Bourke Member

Honest, i'm trying to not have to buy one, but if all the love is for them, it's poor form by me to not listen.

I can deal with a non-portable unit to an extent, but small and port is good for when there's a fire....or travel/work

8. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

It's a good unit.

I have the JDS Element. I like it. Good price. 1000mw at 300ohm I think.

OJR likes this.
  9. OJR

OJR Member

I have the same amp/DAC. It's awesome.

10. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Buy my Lampizator or MSB Select DAC. I’ll sell em cheap as chips to you.

Suopermanni likes this.
  11. Tazor

Tazor Member

Pretty excited, my SMSL M8 and Bravo Audio Ocean should be arriving this week and in a few weeks my Aune X7S. So pumped. Also order a balanced XLR cable for my HiFiMan's to use with the Aune.

12. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

I'm ordering some MrSpeakers Aeon closed back soon!

Just gotta sell the Fostex and HD800 first.

13. Bourke

Bourke Member

Lampizator or MSB Select DAC.

I looked it up....never seen so many 000,000 for things before...:tongue:
    But yeah I have no space, the Valhulla is same footprint as a netbook, and everything else stacks.

I think i'm over Planars, they do what they do, looking at other REF stuff.....AEONS are good on reviews...ETHER's are yeah sometimes, everyone needs a Mr Speakers in their collection.

14. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

You need some hd800 in your life

15. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Yeah for anyone wanting or looking to get into high end headphone gear, you must try or own the HD800's at least once in your listening lifetime, whether you would like them or not is a complete different matter. I've owned them 3 times and have been thinking of getting a custom Colorware HD800S which I've been wanting to get for over half a decade. Purely for collecting reasons as I don't really care or listen to the latest headphones anymore as my vintage Sony CD3k, Stax and speakers get plenty of listen time.

Bourke you're going through headphone gear puberty so now that you've popped your cherry in the head-fi'dom you'd realise you (your brain) get over the new toy syndrome really fast. Planars do what they do best and its generally nice mids and natural bass reproduction. Don't focus too much on what gear you own or how many you own or brand names but just listen to things you think you would enjoy or sound right to you. The sooner you realise this the sooner you stop wasting money buying this and that.

Suopermanni likes this.
  16. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Yeah.

So buy my HD800 haha

17. Bourke

Bourke Member

Beyer T1's inbound.....used though ^cough^

I'm enjoying my HD700's atm with a Modhouse mod and light felt insert....they are easy listening for sure....KORN sounds awesome...even opera

Well, if I had the space i'd get everything for $350 and figure it out, but atm trying to sift through and making smart choices, I COULD sell stuff but i'm not that good at it.

For reference, I started collecting CD's like 18 years ago, but never had a stereo/gear to get the most out of it, so last couples weeks I prob smash +3hrs of music a day, and when I get a setup jus right, I smile...:):):)

18. Bourke

Bourke Member

I'd trade you my hd700's and cash BENNO, you drop a level and I gain a level....I have no lust for 800's....and I wish the Sony's were a hell a lot cheaper, they seem interesting

Oh, and DAC's, do the diff chips change the sound..????? so a PCM or SABRE or WOLFSEN or watever a Multibit is..????

19. Suopermanni

Suopermanni Member

Quoted for truth

20. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

No dice.

And yes. Different DAC chips have different signatures. Some are warmer than others. Some are brighter. Some are clearer. Some are just shit. AMPing also has a big affect too. So both together ...

As with most audio gear. You get what you pay for up to a point, then diminishing returns.

I find the JDS Labs Element pretty good for the price. Good enough to justify high end cans.