1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

What amp/dac & headphones/speakers are you using?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by ajkun, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Fidelio x2's would be a step up from the Momentums, more clarity and air to the sound.

2. johnnyfootball

johnnyfootball Member

Would they require a dac/amp as they are higher ohms than my current set iirc.

Will be used on my iPhone X and new ryzen build.

3. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

It's not that straight forward I don't think.

The momentum line isn't trash. They are more aimed at mass consumer market like beats, but they aren't dreadful. $350-400 they are an OKish buy. The X2 come in at $299 or so.

They will be a different sound for sure, clearer and more airy sound. But I think its more of a side shift than straight step up.

I'd prefer the X2 over the Momentums, but if you want a proper step up from the Momentums, I'm not sure the X2 is it? If you just want a more Audiophile focussed headphone for that pricerange, sure.

Need a budget too bud.

But running off iPhone AND PC.

I'd go a set of Sennheiser HD600 or HD6xx, whichever you find cheapest, and a portable DAC/Amp like the Oppo HA2-SE or a cheaper similar product.

4. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Very easy to drive, don't need a DAC or amp.
    They are rated at 32ohms Z the inefficiency point kicks in at roughly 100ohms with basic dynamic transducer based headphones to be driven from a portable source (iphone etc.).

There are lots of Momentums, they don't belong in the same category as the Beats as the Momentums is a transportable/portable on the go entry level dip into the hifi world ideal for public commuters. The Philips Fidelio range is a step above and they are cheaper as well. The Momentums have a warmish sound signature comparable to the HD600/650 but lacks the bite, clarity or neutrality in some sound frequencies. The Fidelio X2 an improvement over the original X1's is a step above as the low end spectrum is sorta similar sounding but it is a lot more engaging.

In my experience and view, I would not rate the HD600 or HD6xx as a good mid level tier headphone anymore, lots of better options out there now and ones that do more right than wrong and don't require sundry parts to power it to sound good (i.e. amplifier and DAC) etc etc... Once those are inclusive for the HD600 or HD6xx it is way past the sub $500 category.

5. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

A used pair of HD600 or even new HD6xx can be had under $300 pretty easily. For that money they are a good buy. For $500-600, the HD600/HD650 aren't the way to go. But $250-300 with a portable DAC/Amp, they are a solid option.

Really need a budget and what he hopes to achieve. If he is happy with his Momentums, whats the point in upgrading at all.

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Well $600+ (amp + HD6xx) compared to $299 brand new which the X2 can be had for as little as $150 if you know where to look and where to buy. Big difference.

7. johnnyfootball

johnnyfootball Member

Budget will be around the 500 mark if it’s would be a noticeable difference between my momentum’s, otherwise I’d prob just pick up a cheap pair of x2’s and see if I like them as much as I think I will.

I noticed that the price of the higher end headphones hasn’t really decreased much in such a long time, I was hoping all the sets I knew would now be much cheaper.

8. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Due to our shit currency exchange prices haven't really dropped much here wise but on headfi they go for cheap. Shit thing is the currency exchange as mentioned. Otherwise used HD600's can be purchased as little as $160 like back in 2011-2012.

johnnyfootball likes this.
  9. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

You say this in most threads :p If you know where to look and buy you get XXXX cheaper.

Just buy the cheapest pair of X2 you can and see if you like it.

If you can get to a headphone store and try some stuff that'd be great.

But for $600, for example, you could go a OPPO HA2-SE (sick little DAC/Amp that works with PC and iPhone) for $350 or so second hand, and pair that with $250 HD6xx or many many other decent options. HE400, few Beyer models, those entry Fostex. Allesandro / Grado.

What kind of sound do you like? Bassy? Super detailed and airy? Warm?

Open or closed cans?

10. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

Have a look at Kef M500 headphones, they’re great, I bought a pair to take to work when I got sick of taking my IEM out every time someone wanted to ask a stupid question. They’re available at Grays online through eBay at about half price at the moment, from $240 depending on colour.

With your budget Id spend the remainder on a nice portable DAC/amp to use with your phone. The Audioquest DragonFly is great, phone still sits in your pocket along with the DF. I used one for several years on the train, 4 hours a day, they sound much better than iPhone output. Around $150 for the black version.

11. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

[​IMG]

Picked up an SMSL M3 off ebay for $70 delivered. I've had a couple weeks to get acquainted with it and it's a great little headphone amp, seems solidly built, sound quality is great for the price. It's processing through a CS4398 DAC chip and I would describe the sound as airy and clinical but in a good way. Currently using it to drive Beyerdynamic DT770 pros (80 ohm). Seems to be quite a good pairing. Bought it to replace the realtek hd onboard sound of my motherboard, which struggled to drive the DT770s as they were meant to be heard and sounded rubbish in general. Bass kicks are now solid, tight, and all the details of instruments are all there without the distortion and melding of the instrument tracks that the onboard sound had.

One minor issue with this amp is the analog volume controller. When making very small adjustments to the volume at low levels it can go out of slightly out of balance with left and right channels, but doesn't take much to rectify. Overall, pretty happy with the unit. Very versatile with the number of inputs, and although it's not the smallest and most portable amp on the market, for a semi-permanent desktop/laptop/console setup it's fine.

12. donnot

donnot Member

Am using a iBasso D2 Boa+ DAC/amp with my Sony MH1c's and Creative Aurvana Live 2's (snapped headband 1 week outside the year warranty so I use them with an elastic head strap, need to redo cabling too :().

Have a sub and set of KEF eggs hanging around but need to find something to amp them with :confused:.

13. neRok

neRok Member

Got some BeyerDynamic DT880 Pro's (250 Ohm) the other week. Unfortunately my Fiio X3II could not deliver the goods (turns out the v2 is a bit underpowered compared to the v1, which people were saying could do it). So I ordered a Schiit Magni 3, which I am testing out now (driven by the X3's line out). I'm pretty chuffed - this is a good sounding setup :thumbup: There is a some great value to be had from headphone systems at ~$500.

I gotta keep testing but, because I reckon the amp sounds a bit nicer set to high gain. There a few posts on reddit and other forums with the same conclusion. Only problem is, 5% volume is sufficiently loud on high gain for background music :lol:

14. Tazor

Tazor Member

Nice! Yeah I agree that you can get a lot out of $500, i think I probably spent $700 ish with my dac included, but amp+cans would have been around $500 and I'm smitten with em

15. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

Decided to upgrade my desktop gaming/music cans from a dt 770 pro/80 ohms to a 1770 pro. My Sb zx drives them very well and love the improvement over the old cans in sound.

Swapped over my mod mic and had a decent session of BF1, comfort wise it feels better than the 770’s and I had no issues being able to identity sounds around me.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  16. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

I really liked the DT1770. And DT1990 for that matter. Enjoyed the short listen more than I did on the T1. Good cans!

17. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

If I didn’t have a requirement for closed cans the dt 1990 would be my choice when I auditioned them both.. not by a huge margin but enough to notice.

18. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Yeah for sure.

PM me, I might have something for you actually.

19. Maka0

Maka0 Member

Are the DT 990 Pros worth the purchase? I've seen them online for roughly $200

20. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Depends what kind of sound you like. And what kind of headphones you find comfy.

Where are you?

Go try some on, have a listen.

Maka0 likes this.