What amp/dac & headphones/speakers are you using?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by ajkun, Jan 20, 2012.

1. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Member

who the f&*k says i was replying to him. I would have quoted him if i was.

2. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

M.Kane is just angry. The tone of all his posts is 'angry at the world'.

I thought the same thing reading it. I was like "Pretty sure ol mate just posting what his rig is". Then he thought it was a suggestion and shredded it haha. Gold.

Anyway.

The D1 is fine. Built nice. Never have a problem with it. Sounds ok for cheap. I've had the Rev 1 model since it came out many many years. Never skipped a beat, use it for gaming. Still pinpoint sounds better than everyone else. It isn't shit...

3. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Settle the fuck down fellas.

4. Tazor

Tazor Member

a1 are good, so if you can get through them you may be better off, you don't pay GST on Massdrop, at least I never have... But you do have to wait quite a bit longer than if you just bought it direct from a local retailer.

The MODI 3 is really solid from what I hear, but I've never actually used anything made by Schiit except for a Asgard headphone amp, which is great, but not what we're talking :lol:

If you already have a headphone amplifier then you may be best to get the MODI 3 or Multibit, but if you don't have a headphone amp I would recommend the X1S personally.

5. kot0005

kot0005 Member

Tazor likes this.
  6. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

See. Forever angers.

7. Tazor

Tazor Member

8. kot0005

kot0005 Member

Ok I can confirm, this is an amazin unit. High build quality like the STX 2 but some sounds are much better and dont even have to install drivers, The driver they have on their website limit this to 32bit 192khz, with default windows drivers its full 384khz

spotify doesnt work with 384khz..so I had to dial it back to 192..

packaging is pretty good as well and the unit it self is as long as STX 2 but a lot thicker. I have it hidden behind my monitor.

9. japes

japes Member

Any suggestions for USB DAC's with TRRS (is this possible by definition?)? I'm shifting between two systems currently and using the Audio-Technica USB that came with my old ADG1's because it's nice and convenient - super compact and does a good enough job. Looking for something a little better for my main system.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  10. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Any of the gaming ones bud. Creative still churning them out. Check PCCaseGear. Be good enough for those cans.

Edit. Ha. Can't find them now. Good one. Just some Sennheiser jobs but has split headphone and mic inputs.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  11. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

My AI101-DA's volume knob is playing up worse than before. Time to order myself a NAD D 3020 v2.

12. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Why not just swap out the volume potentiometer? Only 6 connections to adjust.

13. japes

japes Member

Yeah that's what I mean, it's all dual input. I can do the split no problem but I'd rather not because then it means running TRRS to split to the DAC, so its two cables that can twist/tangle/be general pains in the arse.

14. Bourke

Bourke Member

I bought something today, but I don't wanna talk about it....and had to go to bank to sort loans out....back in the hole I go.
    Anywho....
    Sony MDR-ZR1
    I went to go see them on Wall of Fame on INNER, they weren't there.
    Had to dig a bit to find "Old mans" review of them, 2 pages of fluff, and 2 sentences on the actually SQ and presentation.....I was shocked..he fairly trashes them.
    In comments under the review he gets flamed by many, as a Old man.

So I run them on POWER for a couple days to feel them out...They are funny/different like HD800 or ETHERS are different..Classical and Aphex Twin is near perfect, Rap and Arcade Fire is a little off.
    I was shocked with AF, the presentation was good, but imaging got blurry when all elements were active, it all turned into pudding and hard to discern the instruments from vocals.
    Kool Keith was a little diffused too, it's got big bass in it and I never got enough SPL thumping me to bother me or even enjoy.

KORN-SUFFERING, i've never heard it better than with the ZR1, I said WOW at how detailed and focused the sound stage was, almost like the album was engineered with SONY's in mind, the vocals use different effects, and I could easier pick an effect vs a distortion, I heard heaps of new details.
    It was that good, I played it in the morning, changed to the Little Dot in the evening, and enjoyed it even more.

Playing TOOL atm and it's perfect again, as in it sounds like a Reference headphone, when it sort of isn't one.
    In general, vocals are recessed a little, not bright or forward, mids are always well balanced, bass is odd, never bloomy or carrys-on, alot of bass is turned into a sub-bass push instead of a SPL force, which is different and nice.
    Comfort is a 8.5, I forgot I was wearing them sometimes, the ear pads can come off in 3 secs with your eyes closed, you rotate to unlock position and they come off.
    Very easy to drive, atm -25db on the DAC and at 10 oclock on the Little Dot.

I've been listening on POWER for a month or so now, to understand the Transparent side of things and opinions....idk
    Sometimes I just feel nothing or get bored/don't wanna listen to anything....listening to music should be fun...tubes are fun....EL34 tubes in summertime is not fun though.

15. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I’m not handy or confident enough with tinkering with its internals. I could probably see if an electrician can, depending on the price of course.

16. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

That isn't a job for a electrician unless they are trained or familiar with basic soldering and parts relevant to it. Need a basic tech who services amplifiers or a seasoned diyer who can do it for you. 10 minute job really, if you were in Melbourne I would look at it for you.

17. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I’ll have a hunt around.

18. Wynne

Wynne Member

Seeing as you've not had any replies i'll give you my less than useful one, i've never seen TRRS on a headphone amp/dac and I definitely would have gone for that if available :(

19. japes

japes Member

Ended up finding a few cheap options but I can't imagine any of them are worth it over regular onboard or a USB adapter. eg. Creative G1.

20. Bourke

Bourke Member

millsy likes this.