What amp/dac & headphones/speakers are you using?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by ajkun, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

My Shure SE425s split a couple of days ago, sadly rendering them inoperable. Decided to spruik for SE535s and, after some initial problems getting the right seal (seems Shure has changed their rubber sizes) I am absolutely blown away. Read a lot of reviews talking about the differences between the two pairs (the 425s allegedly being more accurate and less warm) but these things are better than I believed possible. Even better than my AD900s, which to my ears were as good as headphones can get.

Yes, there are probably better canalphones but, given the lack of ability to audition, I decided to stick to ones I knew I found comfortable.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Try some Comply T400 tips. Usually helps with Shure and Etymotic IEM's.

3. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

I used to use the comply tips and cut the ends off, worked for me.

4. Bourke

Bourke Member

Ordered a new DAC, SMSL SU-8 v2....you know....that chinese brand one...:p:p:p

$385 posted.....4.0v channel matched XLR outputs and 32bit/768hz - DSD128
    and yeah ordered a stax L-300 limited....they getting short supply, found one and needed something to do....L-700 too much money, but L-700 pads on L300 look interesting.

nothing really that interesting around, still waiting to see JADE II reviews, everything new is pretty expensive tbh, jus gonna buy light used under retail, more as a collection.
    I did find a AUS place that has some bargains, so anyone looking too save post it up and i'll help what I can...as an example.....

Black n gold SR-007A ex-demo for $2900 with store warranty....I wantee but can't.....:(:(:(

5. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

6. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Any recommendations for Bluetooth IEMs? Phone has aptX HD and BT 5.0 so probably won't buy a portable DAC/BT thing. I've done some research and Jabra Elite 65t seem to be my best bet, any thoughts?

7. Bourke

Bourke Member

This is a short story of the SMSL SU-8 dac.

Day 1-why does this sound so trash, I'm gonna throw it out the window.(checks Ebay for Dac's)
    Day 2-why is this still garbage sounding, and why do my fingers tingle when I touch the chassis.
    Day 3-huh, using Sony's this doesn't suck for some reason.
    Day 4-things seem to sound alright(plays with settings)
    Day 5-Lappy >SU-8 > Little Dot > HD 700 > The Who, best of.......this is what Analog sounds like....OMG

Elear doesn't work at all, HD 700 beats it's arse

8. Tazor

Tazor Member

So something happened to by M8A when my dog went to jump on my lap and got tangled in the cables... Using my M3 now for the time being, which is still an impressive little unit that I bought as a LAN Dac/Amp combo, but drives my HiFiMAN HE4XX's really well!
    That said, I have my doubts when it comes to higher quality audio files, but if anyone needs a cheap and compact unit to use over onboard audio, the SMSL M3 is great as it doesn't require any drivers and runs off a single USB cable.

9. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

Just got this. Free shipping internationally. Very very good deal for a portable DAC that rivals the Dragonfly RED at the price of your lunch: https://www.partsconnexion.com/BITSTRM-83916.html
    I'm in no way affiliated with them, just thought I'd help the hi-fi community out with a good deal I spotted on SNA. Lots of guys on there have jumped on this already.

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

11. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

I found the bass with them to be very deep and not boomy, which was quite impressive in itself, although I'm certainly not a bass head anymore

Bold Eagle likes this.
  12. Leyland

Leyland Member

Would anyone have a recommendation for a DAC and Headphone pairing around $700? Looking for something fun for media consumption and listening to music. I was rocking an ATH-M50x and Audioengine D1 which had a good sound, but very flat. Definitely did not lean any which way, and I know people enjoy that but wouldn't classify it as 'fun' by any means.

13. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I really like my Schiit stack Magni2/Modi2 and was running that with some ATH-AD900, sadly I now need to strip them down (either the cable or RHS driver has failed). The Schiit stack still works really well with the ATH-E40.

The Magni3 and Modi3 are out now;
    https://www.schiit.com/
    https://www.themasterswitch.com/review-schiit-magni-3
    https://www.headphone.com/blogs/new...-solid-state-vs-tube-hybrid-review-comparison
    https://www.whathifi.com/schiit-audio/magni-3/review

Their other gear also rates highly and they ship from the US.

Search their reviews........................

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019 at 12:39 AM
  14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm about to step 'up' to a set of entry level Sennheisers ( RS 120II ) from my basic JBL's. Source will be the onboard sound on a coming new motherboard, probably a Strix X470. Audiophiles will scoff, and reviews are mixed but not incredibly complementary. Not incredibly bad though either, so that's something I guess.

Major reason for me... their main purpose is only YouTube, I prefer on-ear, wireless is a must for me, and the charging cradle will be perfect mounted on the side of my new custom case.
    Doesn't compare to what others are talking about in here, but I'm looking forward to them. Had a listen to a pair in Officeworks the other day, they will do the job nicely for me.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019 at 12:51 AM
  15. Bourke

Bourke Member

Ratzz, it's not that onboard is bad or anything, it's that USB noise/mains noise/hard drive noise gets carried through to your HP's, which ends up being annoying.

I was hoping my new build would be great, be it isn't, I get hard drive whirling which kills the vibe.
    It happens due to amping the signal, you are amping the noise too, until you hear what loud and clear can be, it's jus a shouting match of opinions.

Even when I have a chain, a cable in the wrong spot can pick up mains noise or a ground loop and it's like finger nails on a blackboard.
    When the signal is perfect, you can even grade how "black" the background is, it's almost like an abyss that your ears fall into.

It's like anything, when you do a new hobby with entry level gear, and have a good time, you upgrade.....I can justify $2-3k DAC's, only coz i'm having a good time.

16. Urauc

Urauc Member

I am also running the Schiit stack of Magni and Modi into a set of Beyerdynamic 2nd Gen T1s.

Quite an affordable Amp and DAC.

Just picked up a Schiit Jotunheim with the multibit DAC installed as I'm planning a headphone upgrade.

Beyerdynamics T1s don't have XLR cable so I haven't really tested the Jotunheim just yet.

17. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

For the price of their gear the output is amazing and hence why Schiit gets reviewed so positively across their range.

18. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm gonna have to check this Schiit out :thumbup:

19. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Also has best marketing. They like Apple. Product is good enough, marketing is and aesthetic on point.

20. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I find their marketing seems to be plain and very objective - unlike Apple which is incredibly subjective and more about selling an image to gullible tools for a lacklustre product that is incredibly overpriced and underperforming (other products can perform better at a better price point). Schiit seems to be the exact opposite of that with high performance at a moderate price and they are 'Made in US'.

Look at the Schiit website and it can be noted as a no frills but fully functional design - just like their gear;
    https://www.schiit.com/
    https://www.schiit.com/guides
    https://www.schiit.com/reviews
    https://www.schiit.com/about

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019 at 5:54 PM