What amp/dac & headphones/speakers are you using?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by ajkun, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Bourke

Bourke Member

http://earphiles.org/2017/04/totl-closed-headphone-shoot-out/

Shot answer is the bulter with the knife in the drawing room did it...
    HD820 suck, they don't work, basing off reviews
    ZMF ordered new will start at $2000aud posted, unless used and the headband takes a beating, earpads are best though
    TH-900 Imaging is killer, bass quality is killer, trebles has daggers of doom and going from smooth AEON to tesla 6k ice picks, some say they can listen for 30secs only.
    LCD-2 Dark tilt but good laid-back planar, buy one if cheap but I think AEON is clearer/brighter/nicer.

I looked up DENON 7200, it is a "fostex driver" has a spike at 3k, but can be made better with pads and packing and has potential for great things.

and why are we talking about RECOMMENDATIONS IN USING THREAD..

2. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

3. Bourke

Bourke Member

Click to view full size!

Nighthawks- After 5mins, where can I buy second pair.
    HE-5se - After 2hrs, What the hell is wrong with these and why don't they make any sense

ysojelly likes this.
  4. ysojelly

ysojelly Member

So....your appreciative of the hawks eh?

5. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Did you send him hawks?

6. Bourke

Bourke Member

Not from JELLY, he has a pair, we love our Hawks in secret coz there's not much love for them.
    What they do is nothing special, but everything sounds good, very laid back and lets the music in.
    9.5 for comfort, 2 pairs of pads (pleather and velour), one of best carry cases, cable is crap, and coming from a cable company is sad.
    On some tracks the muddy bass bleeds into vocals, but on 95% of music it jus sounds correct, value for money I think they are a steal at $500.
    If someone without cans wanted a non-offensive, comfortable and easy to drive can, they i'd say theses over HD's

oh and got the HE-5se to work, found in Win media player has EQ pre-settings, picked music 28k and everything fell into place, and they love drinking power.

ysojelly likes this.
  7. ysojelly

ysojelly Member

This is pretty much how I would phrase the hawks. Music, pretty much sounds 'right', Al least in my humble opinion.
    How come you went for carbon though? Over the timber resin?

8. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

I've watched a few reviews on them. People describe them as very unique, weirdly airy feeling, but overall just no fuss type cans. Shit just is good to listen to.

9. Bourke

Bourke Member

The first and cheapest NIB I found I bought, the timber is a like a veneer, which can peel like on Audeze, Carbon is not very carbon twill looking, jus shiney black.
    I use my HD700 cable, i'll prob get a silver over copper and use on both, should help.

I do get a bit of congestion on the RHS pad, like angle+pad over pressures and is a little annoying.
    If you push on the pad you get more bass, if you break the seal it bleeds the bass off and sounds clean/clearer.
    Should sound real good off a cell phone.

It sounds kinda like a clearer Beyer DT sound, how DT's are bit veiled, these arn't, but vocals need more amp forward to match the soundstage levels.
    Early release, they had QC issues with weird sounds and driver imbalance, but yeah it's a nice buy.

10. eastley

eastley Member

Hey Guys.
    Looking to add a DAC/Headphone AMP to my setup, also a set of Cans.
    What are peoples suggestions these days?

11. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Budget budget budget budget?

12. eastley

eastley Member

Not a lot :(
    Could go up to about $500 for Headphone AMP and DAC, either separate units or all in one is fine.
    Headphone probably $300 max.

13. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

What type of music do you listen to?

14. eastley

eastley Member

Bit of everything, chart music mostly, some old school 90's stuff, which includes most genre's except maybe classical or that heavy screaming music, not a lot of high paced techno either.

Might be strange since I am a fat middle aged guy and all, but I love a good female voice that actually sings and has a good beat to it.

My music listening started in the 90's really, maybe mid/late 90's. So the big band/singers back in that era onto today.

15. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Do you prefer circumaural over your ears or on your ears?

Do you want open back (no noise isolation and leaks) or do you want sealed closed back?

16. eastley

eastley Member

Over ears.

Probably a balanced, accurate closed headphone too.

17. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Are yours ears susceptible to easily burning up with something over them, velour earpads can do this, pleather or leather is generally cooler.

Are you sensitive to having more than 350grams on your head or have a weak neck?

18. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Whilst valid your having way to much fun here..................

Middle of the road and a reasonable baseline is Audio Technica relative to your budget.

Does it matter if their is noise leak (open) or should it be isolated (closed)?

Personally I would focus on the cans as you can readily change the DAC stac at any time.

19. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Absolutely, open back headphones achieve more and sound better than closed back headphones which tend to be less neutral sounding leaning towards a U or V shape FR.

That said there is a DT990 600ohm Premium version headphone with a Essence DAC/Amp for sale in the classifieds section.

20. eastley

eastley Member

Not susceptible to burn, any weight is fine, neck is good.

I have a creative X7 that does the job, but I know it ain't that good as far as Dac/headphone amp goes. A Shciit stack is most recommended, but was not sure if anything else has come out as good.

Already have a set of Philips X2's to play with, hence wanting a closed set of headphones, something different.