What amp/dac & headphones/speakers are you using?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by ajkun, Jan 20, 2012.

1. 123realtalk

123realtalk Member

Don't get me wrong I am stoked with how it all sounds right now, I guess I'm looking at this as future proofing myself whilst trying new things with my headphone setup. It'll take me a few months of research and saving before I bite the bullet anyway, just trying to figure out what I should be aiming for. Eventually the DAC (whatever I choose) will be a part of a speaker setup when I purchase a home of my own.

I will keep an eye out for that DAC, seen a few on stereonet before - But this looks to be an amp/dac combo? Pretty happy with the amp side of the CMA600i at this stage.

TBH I've never used my Mojo portable, can't really get it fitting comfortably while on the move, end up with a chunky pocket and with a band around it makes the phone hard to use. I guess if I bought a poly to go with it, it might fair better.. Not going to lie, I am pretty happy with Andromedas > ifi iematch > Note 9 > Tidal

So my battery is probably fucked already as it's 100% plugged in all of the time! If the battery does die, does it still work whilst plugged in?

Hugo TT is definitely on the cards as I will be looking at something with an external power supply, but they're a bit out of budget, would need to look into the second hand market.

You should buy a Gieseler DAC and let me know your thoughts ;)

2. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

Can't say myself whether it works after the battery has died. But its super easy to replace and you can even run the unit without the battery on permanent usb power*. I use mine on battery power and top it up a little after each use.

*I've tried this and it's not reliable. BC the unit is effectively "charging" all the time without a battery load, you get the same battery top/off buzzing noise from the unit. Not always, but enough to be annoying

123realtalk likes this.
  3. Bourke

Bourke Member

4. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Who dat?

I'd own the first 4, wouldn't pay for them though. Maybe the VC.

5. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Is the 3rd woody one a Denon? Can't exactly tell. Cup looks like an R10 but the headband and yoke doesn't match it. Fostex?

6. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

Headband is embossed ZMF. Just googled it, they're a thing aparently.

7. 123realtalk

123realtalk Member

ZMF Verite I believe - Good collection there!

I want to try the Campfire Solaris and Focal Clear out of that lot.

8. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Verite Closed.

Best closed headphone in the world. Stellia can suck it.

9. garetz

garetz Member

Ive been using an Audio-GD 15.32 TCXO for about 8 years now, and its on its last legs, what has a similiar sound signature with modern amps?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  10. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

How much you want to spend?

Audio-GD is on the warmer side. You could go another Audio-GD, still making a lot of great units. Or a Schiit Jotunheim is also a touch warm.

Most other SS set out to be dead nuetral as they can, so not a heap of warmer SS options.

11. elisiX

elisiX Member

I’m not so sure the Mojo as a DAC would be benefiting the 600i. It’s a pretty amazing all in one package as it is from my research. Hugo 2 in the chain is where real improvements would begin to be found. As an amp though, 600i should be amazing.

+Denafrips Ares II

Spent some time with this DAC paired with both Audio GD D27 and Auralic Taurus this weekend and it’s absolutely amazing.

Really? lol

It seems to be split pretty evenly amongst the wider community that both Stellia and VC are the best closed backs you can buy. I am yet to see a review which shows them back to back. They aren’t the same headphone, different sound signature right, so I’d say you can’t go wrong with either.

As mentioned above, I’ve had some exposure to Audio GD, I own the D28.38 and a close friend the D27. For the money I really think they compete with AMP’s significantly more expensive. Depending on the model they do tend to lean warm. Mine certainly does. I pair mine with the RME ADI-2 V2 and it works brilliantly with the Focal Utopia.

6AB0DB3D-8210-4DC0-837D-39A0B8EFE9FF.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Nethiuz likes this.
  12. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Haha. Hoped you'd see my comment.

At the same price, I'd personally go VC. If you had the money, they are both exceptional and so different, you could own both. So so different.

elisiX likes this.
  13. 123realtalk

123realtalk Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you just start this hobby? Holy shit you moved up the chain fast I am jelly! I tested the Utopia's out at a2a last year and they were awesome.

I noticed things I hadn't noticed before with the Mojo in the chain so seems to be an improvement over the inbuilt 600i dac, but will need to do a better side by side comparison and potentially go to a2a/minidisc to test dacs..

I'll keep the Denafrips Ares II in mind too - seems pretty reasonable at around $1300~

elisiX likes this.
  14. elisiX

elisiX Member

I made some great mates in the hobby, Benno included, and the rest is history. I learned a lot quite quickly, though I am by no means an expert.

123realtalk likes this.
  15. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

The Denafrips is great, haven't tried the latest version/revision but I had a early loaner unit from a diyer and it was pretty good. Clean no frills sound.

16. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Soekris has a nice R2R going on too. 1341 I think. Worth a looksy.

17. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Yeh Soekris is good. Many variations including DIY.

18. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Focal Clear Pro selling too if anyone keen. Won't really get a better headphone for the money. Look alright too!

19. Malakai

Malakai Member

I dusted off my 15 year old Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 cans today, some soapy water for the ear pads and wings, replaced the original cable, new gold plated jack plug and fresh solder joints all over. Wow they feel and sound as if they are new again. They are just so damn easy to drive. A bit of loudness equalisation and 6db of bass boost and they are perfect for some Saturday afternoon music listening.

20. yestime

yestime Member

Earbuds / Earspeakers
    On the go --> Shure KSE1500
    At home --> Stax SR-007 Mk1 or Stax SR-009BK depending on the genre

Speakers
    ProAc 1SC, Stax ELS F81 or Quad ESL 63 powered by Primaluna Dialogue HP

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Nethiuz likes this.