What amp/dac & headphones/speakers are you using?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by ajkun, Jan 20, 2012.

1. bondibro

bondibro Member

Current PC setup is
    schiit bifrost > Asgard > HD800s + wireless modmic

On the go
    Astell SE100 + Campfire Solaris

Home
    Roon > S2 Ultra > schiit Gumby > Marantz > LS50s
    Roon > S2 Ultra > schiit Gumby > Mjolnir 2 > HD800s

Also just bought the sony z7m2. Love em!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  2. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Solid setup mate. The new Solaris looks nice, 20% smaller housing!

Mine desk setup will soon be;

Schiit Modius > Cayin IHA6 > ZMF Aeolus
    Schiit Modius > McChanson SET Tube > ZMF Aeolus
    Schiit Modius > NAD 3020 > Monitor Audio Silver 50

Just waiting for mr postman to bring the toys.

bondibro likes this.
  3. 123realtalk

123realtalk Member

I didn't realise Schiit released a new dac, I assume this is the 'new' modi? Interested to see how it stacks up.

Mine is fairly simple right now, the wife hates when I hoard headphones otherwise I would own a few more pairs (eyes on HD800s & a pair of high end closed headphones at some point..)

Questyle CMA600i > (either internal DAC or Chord Mojo) > Audeze LCD3 / Sennheiser HD650
    Samsung Note 9 > (either internal DAC or Chord Mojo) > Campfire Andromeda
    KEF LSX (3.5mm > RCA into CMA600i used as a preamp or Bluetooth to phone - The wifi mode keeps losing connection a couple of days after setup so will need to investigate..)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  4. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Not to replace the Modi. It's in the Bifrost/Jotunheim form factor. They made it to prove a point. See, we can make a DAC that measures amazingly, in the USA, for $199. Take that Amir....or something along those lines. It's a AK4493 based thing.

5. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Earbuds = Soundmagic S10 or something, actually bloody good for the price.
    Cans = VMODA xfade wireless with larger aftermarket pads to replace to recently worn flaking Audio Technica MTX 50 and they are much better.
    Speakers = PC has Logitech Z5500 5.1, my god they are good for the age, but bass heavy and lacking tweeters! | TV has Yamaha amp/decoder and 5.1 speakers, the front left and right are about 5 foot tall and the sub is 12 inch, same as the Logitech sub actually, booming.

6. elisiX

elisiX Member

Setup hasn't changed in a while. About to consider a few changes.

Office

Hugo 2 > Focal Stellia

Home

RME ADI-2 > Violectric V281 FE > Focal Utopia/Meze Empyrean
    RME ADI-2 > Woo Audio WA2 > Sennheiser HD800S/HD6XX
    KEF LSX (via AUX using V281 pre-outs for volume control)

Portable

AK380 + AMP > Focal Stellia

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    Benno1988 likes this.
  7. randomman

randomman Member

FiiO BTR3K > ATH-M50

Plugged in for my home PC. Wireless for work and the TV late at night.

8. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

USB > Questyle CMA Twelve > Sony MDR-Z1R / ZMF Auteur
    Optical > KEF LS50W II on Aperta Stands

elisiX likes this.
  9. 123realtalk

123realtalk Member

Only change for me is upgrading the IEM's to Campfire Solaris (from Andromeda), they're pretty damn incredible..

Considering selling off my Audeze LCD3 and trying something new.. No idea what to look at just yet, I mostly listen to metal and they do a good job for it, but the upgrade/side-grade bug is kicking in. Any ideas?

10. bondibro

bondibro Member

I had the solaris and they were good, but too bulky for my ears - unless you are talking about the 2020 model which I haven't tried.

11. bondibro

bondibro Member

also looking to buy these - Sony MDR-Z1R - anyone got any feedback? I currently use the Z7m2 which I am looking to sell and HD800s which I will never move becasue I love too much

12. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

I never got myself the Solaris although I was pretty close.. I adored my Andromeda's though.

What do you think of Solaris?

13. elisiX

elisiX Member

I'm yet to really explore the world of IEM's and i've only listened to a few. They just don't give me the same experience as I get from full sized headphones and I don't have the specific need for an ultra portable setup. Hugo 2 does the job around the house. I suppose if we were travelling for work again I might consider some IEM's for work trips, etc.

Z1R is a fun but polarising headphone. Some dislike it but I personally really like it. It's only when you compare to other high-end closed backs like the Stellia that it falls short - i'd expect it to as significantly less cost though. Z1R has this uncanny ability to have quite an open soundstage for a closed back. I think they're a perfect compliment to the HD800S - they're also incredibly comfortable.

HD800S is the best value headphone in the world. It may even be the best overall period. I really love mine even though i've got some other heavy hitters in Utopia/Empyrean, etc. They're fantastic on tubes, so if you can add a tube amp into your desktop setup i'd highly recommend it. I run mine off the WA2 from Woo Audio. Pretty entry level by tube amp standards but it does the job nicely.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  14. bondibro

bondibro Member

I agree with you there! I love my HD800s a lot. I do have a tube setup to which I use the HD800s - my Schiit stack ROON > Streambox S2 > Gungnir > Mjolnir 2 > HD800s. I love this combo very much!

elisiX likes this.
  15. 123realtalk

123realtalk Member

Nah, I have the first gen ones - Fortunately they fit my ears well so no complaints in that department.

Bit more soundstage, bit more low end bass, but the best part is that I find the instruments pop out more - specifically guitars and cymbals. In saying that I absolutely loved my Andromeda's, and my Polaris' before that.. Can't afford to keep all of them though! Solaris is definitely a worthy upgrade, try them out if you can.

Agreed for the most part, but I can't take my HD650's on the train without pissing off the whole carriage! If I come across a cheap pair of HD800's, they might be my next go-to.

16. elisiX

elisiX Member

There’s an HD800S for sale on SNA right now.

17. 123realtalk

123realtalk Member

Hanging out for a set around the 1k mark :) Happy to wait, will probably be waiting a while haha..

18. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Wouldn't think LCD-3 would do well with metal? Very dark and laid back headphone. I had it few a few weeks, moved it on. Whats the budget?

I have a Z1R now (again). Really enjoy it. Give it a slight EQ nudge up top and its good.

19. bondibro

bondibro Member

Ok so I went a little crazy yesterday. I went out and got the Z1R and also the TA-ZH1ES and I am thoroughly impressed. Even sounds great with my HD800s. Now need to find some time to compare with my Mjolnir/gungnir stack.

20. 123realtalk

123realtalk Member

I reckon it's quite good for metal, but then again the only headphones I've actually lived for a long period of time (outside of testing some others at minidisc/a2a) are hd555, ad900, dt990, hd650, lcd2, lcd3 - So not a huge range. Will be keeping the hd650's until they die, absolutely love them as a daily driver.

Budget would be pretty much what I sell the LCD3 for.. I wouldn't like to to spend more than that so I guess around 1500? I remember trying the whole focal lineup and liked the utopia's a lot, but way over budget. How are the ZMF range?

They'd need to gel with the questyle cma600i I have as well.