1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What amp/dac & headphones/speakers are you using?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by ajkun, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Dalork

Dalork Member

lol @ $75. I wish focal utopia or Clear OEM pads were only $75 :upset:

2. scruffy1

scruffy1 Member

Dalork likes this.
  3. Dalork

Dalork Member

Yep, seen those but think I'll try the leather ones as I don't like velour/fuffy much. I have oily skin so tend to go lambskin where I can as they are easy to maintain, I really like the sound and comfort of the OEM pads but just don't like the sound of the OEM pad price..

edit: don't get me wrong, I have a aftermarket pad collection hehee. Brainwavz and ZMF must love people like me, had 4 lots of mail from them already this year...(I'm also a sucker for their aluminium hangers).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  4. yestime

yestime Member

5. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

6. yestime

yestime Member

I was surprised they still make it to be honest. I rang up Sennheiser about it, apparently they have large stockpile of it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  7. Antmanoz

Antmanoz Member

spankyofoz likes this.
  8. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

9. yestime

yestime Member

I don't think any of the Fiio lineup are crappy or expensive. It probably the only sensible major company in the audio market.

10. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

I've been quite happy with their products, I also use the BTR5 Bluetooth DAC and it's performed fantastically.

Moondrop has also been quite good for my tastes. Highly recommend checking out the Aria which you can get for $100-$120.

11. Alphaleus

Alphaleus New Member

Currently using Schiit Magni/Modi as dac/amp and Beyerdynamic Tygr 300r and occasion will switch to the Audeze Mobius

12. aokman

aokman Member

My latest setups… I jump between them to mix the experience up constantly, they all have their strengths.

Bottlehead S.E.X / Technics SU-V8 / Harmon Kardon 330B

Klipsch HP-3’s / Heritage DAC with some cap upgrades…

E9316F9C-1FFE-4660-98DE-4255C2FB92E2.jpeg 3ACC2AE9-97E8-4407-81C8-0ECD846F183D.jpeg
    FE940F17-116F-4276-B26D-C762AD060A38.jpeg
    45580533-951D-4B15-A802-BA92407D02DA.jpeg 775C74A3-581D-42FF-A80F-C0B0EAEB2C6A.jpeg

modernshoggoth likes this.
  13. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

So went from the senny HD518 and now have a pair of senny HD660s (mainly for comfort but the sound is also a huge improvement). Looking for a decent dac/amp combo to drive these headphones. This is the specs of my current mobo dac/amp on board the mobo.

- Audio Shielding
    ROG SupremeFX7.1-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC S1220A
    - Premium Japanese audio capacitors
    - Audio Cover
    - Optical S/PDIF in port(s) at back panel
    - SupremeFX Shielding™ Technology
    - Dual OP Amplifiers
    - High quality120dBSNR stereo playback outputand113dBSNR recording input
    - Impedance sense for front and rear headphone outputs
    - Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
    - Supports up to 32-Bit/192kHz playback *
    Audio Feature :
    * Due to limitations in HDA bandwidth, 32-Bit/192kHz is not supported for 8-Channel audio.

Have been looking at the topping dx3 pro+ (there's one on stereonet but we cant come to terms on price as the warranty is only valid for the original purchaser with addicted to audio) or FiiO K5 pro. The senny HD660s came with a balanced 4.4mm cable as well so happy to use that if its going to give me better sound. End goal is to be able to plug in my xbox series x via optical (not doing voice comms anymore and have a Lucidsound LS50X headset for that anyways) and plug in my pc via the usb port and have high quality sound come from both my pc and xbox. Not necessarily both at once. Would also like to be able to drive a decent pair of desktop monitor speakers rather then having just the tinny speakers on my Asus monitor just to give me sound for normal web browsing and messing around. Mostly listening to FLAC audio these days. Although it does sound awesome with my current setup I know with a decent dac/amp it will sound even better. Thinking my next headphone upgrade will be to the senny hd 800s or drop 8XX.

Also do these dac with Bluetooth transmit Bluetooth to Bluetooth headphones or does it accept Bluetooth from your phone or something?

Any help here would be amazing guys. Thanks

Also where can I get a decent genuine senny hd660s cable with a 3.5mm connector on the end ($100 budget) as well as a decent case ($80 budget) for the headphones themselves.

14. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Check the reviews on 8XX - this isn't a HD650 / HD6XX situation where they're basically the same, 8XX has totally different tuning.

Yes, this.

HD660s uses the same connectors as HD600, HD650, HD6XX (and a bunch of other high-end Senns) so while there isn't an official 3.5mm cable for the 660S you can easily find the spares for one of the other models e.g part # 570679 or 508688 ( https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/sennheiser-replacement-hd600-headphone-cable )

stalyoni likes this.
  15. scruffy1

scruffy1 Member

bluetooth degrades the sound and introduces lag depending on what generation it is, and what aptX iteration

this might help understand the options:
    https://soundsightheadphones.com/wireless/bluetooth-5-0-codecs-and-other-bluetooth-formats/

gotta say that for the money, the khadas tone board (tone 1) remains the bargain of all time, though no amp in it, nor bluetooth

if you have money to spend, i note that chord mojo2 has just been released
    it and a few other options are here:
    https://headfonics.com/chord-electronics-mojo-2-review/
    not a balanced output though, i believe, although the khadas tone 2 has that option i think

16. woznme

woznme Member

FiiO K9 Pro. ESS version. Great value for what you get.

17. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Seeking a bit of advice if anyone has any suggestions - If a bloke wanted a decent little amp for 250 Ohm cans under the $200 mark, what might he buy?

Tubes nice but optional (I do enjoy the sound, but will go without for the right kit), pairing with DT 990 Pro's.

18. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

I was going to recommend an Atom amp/DAC stack, or a Magni/Modi stack but they've gone up in price and come in over $200 factoring shipping (unless you're okay with second-hand). The Khadas Tone2 Pro was going to be my next recommendation, but it's also above budget.

Take a look at these alternatives:

juzz86 likes this.
  19. Dalork

Dalork Member

Under $200 and tubes.... xDuoo MT602 comes to mind that might be an option, obviously you have a dac already? Comes well under budget as you can get them from $99....$150 on Amazon I think I saw them.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    juzz86 likes this.
  20. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

I can’t read, you only need an amp <$200; my initial recommendations are within budget.

juzz86 likes this.