1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What amp/dac & headphones/speakers are you using?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by ajkun, Jan 20, 2012.

1. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Many thanks to you both, appreciate the guidance.

A Schiit stack is something I've had my eye on for a bit, but they're very sporadic locally and I don't tend to have the slush fund when they do.

I've currently got a little pocket FiiO which is very good for my AT and Sennheiser sets, but this time I'm hoping to check out the desktop form factor to pair with the new cans - they won't move far.

Source is usually an iPad - to be honest I don't think I need a DAC for this, I usually just feed the FiiO on Line In from the iPad - this setup won't work on the recommendations above? I'm not opposed to a combo or stack setup, I've got a few DACs around but all PC-centric!

2. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Buy direct from Schiit (cheaper too).

juzz86 likes this.
  3. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I did look at (and shortlist) this one mate, just hadn't heard the name before!

4. juzz86

juzz86 Member

They're beaut and very full-featured - but I think I need an analog input of some description to do what I want to do.

Please school me if I'm way off base here - I really just want to drive my new cans from an analog source :thumbup:

EDIT: I could Bluetooth I guess, but I normally save that for the TWS buds.

5. Dalork

Dalork Member

Unless your just using the headphone out (3.5mm to stereo RCA) yes you would need a dac I guess, or maybe a combo unit with BT. I don't use Apple gear (don't use a tablet at all of any kind sorry) so not up with best way to connect/use it but I would have thought a dongle dac would be used to go off-board analog signal for a tablet or just use BT.

Problem with Schiit gear ATM is getting stock... Even from them direct is a issue as currently they are having problems getting supply of the components to make a lot of stuff. I spoke with them just 2 weeks ago to place an order and they could give me no forward date on when they would be able to supply and were very apologetic. I felt worse for them as to me it's just more audio fun but for them it's their business, hope things pick up/sort out for them quickly

Have a look for reviews and peoples thoughts on the model. I have some xDuoo gear that I'm very happy with, TA-30 and TA-20 but different range and out of given budget

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    juzz86 likes this.
  6. Dalork

Dalork Member

deleted, double post

7. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Pricing a stack from Schiit brings it to about $400 delivered - which isn't terrible buying for what's included by any means, but I'm not going to get the return out of it realistically. I echo the sentiment - hope they are able to pull ahead in the near future.

I've had a good read - I think the 602 is going to do what I need it to. I also have actually seen the name before - they made my shortlist for a DAP before I canned that idea and just stuck with mainstream stuff.

I also found a little Bravo Audio unit which reviews well at Head-Fi, so there's a choice now. 602 in front - tube selection good and many more reviews.

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it! :thumbup:

8. scruffy1

scruffy1 Member

juzz86 likes this.
  9. juzz86

juzz86 Member

For some reason Scruff I completely blanked on Topping - thanks mate. Had a DAC of some sort which I actually gave away some time ago now. Wasn't really into it back then, could've used it a dozen times over now! :thumbup:

10. scruffy1

scruffy1 Member

yeah, they punch above their weight, and t-path amps push some serious power

the tp22 drove the bookshelf speakers at more than enough for a bedroom, albeit a bit lacking in a larger space

juzz86 likes this.
  11. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

I was looking at the topping dx3 pro+ to drive my senny hd660s headphones and possibly some nice decent studio speakers. But given the new release of the topping dx5 it will ether drive the price of the dx3 pro+ down or the dx5 should sit around the 500 bux mark inbetween the dx3 pro+ and dx5. Not sure what road to go down but definately want a topping all in one DAC/AMP. Been waiting for the best second hand deal to come up but always more then im willing to pay for a second hand unit.

12. scruffy1

scruffy1 Member

hmmm, this may be worth a look too

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003612722186.html

stalyoni :

i have been eyeing off the dx3 pro+ also, mainly so i can stream bluetooth via ldac from my phone and listen to the focal elears in bed with minimum cabling

but then i thought it might replace the khadas tone 1 in the living room, and maybe i need two :D

the khadas is so good a stand alone dac though; maybe it and the topping should move up to the bedroom

the alo pan am is even better, but the hum from mains power is really annoying, although between the laptop unplugged and a lipo with adapter for the alo, it's gorgeous, but lots of pieces to hook up

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    stalyoni and juzz86 like this.
  13. Current

Current Member

14. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

15. juzz86

juzz86 Member

16. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

I've got the xDuoo MT602 and really like it as a headphone amp, and can also function as a preamp / tube buffer to add a bit of tube sound to speakers.

Replaced the fairly average Chinese tubes with GE 5654W and I like the package

juzz86 likes this.
  17. scruffy1

scruffy1 Member

yeah, tubes are fun - i thought the russian stock i had in the pan am were great with the akg q701 phones, and then i got the elears, and re-tried the french tubes that also came with it - wow !!

likewise i used to enjoy rolling op amps in the asus hdav (opa 627 and then burson v5i for the win with that, for sure!), but eventually recognised that really well designed higher end hardware rarely leaves room for such "simple" improvement, but we all like to tinker

my best advice is once you find something you really enjoy, don't try too hard to hear something better, or you will be met with diminishing returns and the need to start scratching that itch some more

unless you want to have lots of equipment, and play with the synergies that different chains of components can reveal - but you'll need deep pockets, lots of room, and a tolerant partner

i save that sort of collecting for my model aero pursuits ;)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    juzz86 likes this.
  18. juzz86

juzz86 Member

That ^ was a great read, what an awesome hobby. Extremely impressive were the results on your new laser cutter mate - looks the goods!

I don't want to derail this thread too much but I do enjoy the idea of a micro drone too - something I can have in the pocket at work, and throw up for a quick silo inspection or tag read.

I'll keep reading - thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Sage words, I've got to remind myself that once I get my toes wet in decent gear, that's it. No $$$$ gear :p :thumbup:

scruffy1 likes this.
  19. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

i've been loving my Drop+ THX 789 + SMSL M300 MKII, but I broke the micro USB port on the M300 so until I can find someone to try solder it, i've decided to go back to my Modi/Magni/Loki Schiit stack. I wasnt using the Loki for a while but decided to loop it in...its fantastic. is my main go-to now, esepcially for gaming. Will use the Drop+ 789 for pure music listening, have it linked to my Scarlett 2i2 now as well for when I plug the guitar in

cant recommend Schiit highly enough

im also a BeyerDynamic addict, they sound phenomenal in all my setups

juzz86 likes this.
  20. luke o

luke o Member