1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What amp/dac & headphones/speakers are you using?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by ajkun, Jan 20, 2012.

1. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

I do love that colour scheme. mines all traditional silver finish but that definitely looks cool

2. juzz86

juzz86 Member

The silver Schiit gear is hot as, I love it. The SMSC stack also looks great.

gtarmanrob likes this.
  3. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

i do recommend looking into the Loki or if theres something else red/black as an EQ. i dont normally bother with EQs too much as I prefer to hear the headphones neutral sound, but flicking the Loki on and EQ'ing is a lot of fun, even though its only 4 band

juzz86 likes this.
  4. BIG DWIFTER

BIG DWIFTER Member

Fulla Schiit?

That is very fitting considering the products they sell!

I have gone down the rabbit hole myself, and there are many fantastical products available to increase your audiophile needs.

I love that audiophool thread lol.

My desktop audiophoolery consists of -
    SMSL SU-9
    Yamaha HS8's
    Yamaha HS8S
    Yamaha MG10XU
    Darkvoice 336SE
    Audio Technica MSR7
    Corsair Virtuoso XT

I have been through a few dacs, even used an oppo 205 on my desk for a while(which was unbelievably good), have had this setup for a while now and see no need to change.

5. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I wound up finding the FiiO E09K Amp to go with my E17 DAC, en route from the States at the moment. I sold the DT990s and picked up a 600 Ohm set of the DT880s which I'm looking forward to receiving.

The idea of going a bit 'vintage' overboard for the desk appeals. Might try and find a nice old Sherwood/NAD receiver with a bit of EQ or something, and see how that goes. Got a shelf under the desk that isn't being used.

I did consider a Darkvoice - they seem to get a very good rap and are pretty hard to come by. One on eBay currently for 325 - I'll see how the FiiO goes with the 880s first.

6. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

If you look in the right spots you can often pick up Bottlehead Crack for under $450 or so. Basically a Darkvoice 336se but better.

juzz86 likes this.
  7. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Yeah, another one that popped up a lot as 'reference' in reviews. Haven't seen it under a grand at all, wrote it off immediately :p

8. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

They sell between 400-700 used on StereoNet pretty frequently. Just depends on age and what tubes.

The DV is good for its price. Is a bit prone to transformer noise though. Also only for high impedance cans like the 300ohm beyers. Will sound like crap on low impedance or planars, will struggle to drive them.

9. juzz86

juzz86 Member

StereoNet seems to be a bit of a weird beast. One page viewable before you have to sign up, couldn't even see the new member guidance thread. I mean I get it's an easy process, it just seems a bit excessive to cap it at one. What's the moderation like over there? I've lurked Head Fi for years, but always keen on different opinions - gets a bit echo-chamber-y.

To be honest mate I am not well-seasoned on all this, nor do I have the disposable income to dive in for now. I've been perfectly happy with an old set of AD900x on the E17 from an iPad forever. I caught a listen on a mates old DT990s a while back and always remembered I enjoyed it, so I picked them up and the rose coloured glasses had obviously been on, so I've got a set of 600Ohm 880s on the way - seems like they'll give me a bit less top-end and a bit more bottom than the 990s, which will be perfect.

10. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Not a super strong Head-Fi presences on Stereonet. But some. Head-Fi has lot, lot of nutters too though.

juzz86 likes this.
  11. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Some wild stuff there if you go down the rabbit hole. Same as anywhere I guess. People would look at us the same no doubt :p

12. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Currently still using Razer Tiamat 7.1 headphones connected to Asus Xonar AE PCIe card.
    The ONLY issue I've had with the headphones is the ear cushions are a little on the weak side, that is they tend get unstuck from the headphones after yrs of use (glued back on, but they could have done a better job at the factory) . Otherwise the sound quality with proper full on 7.1 support is outstanding!
    No complaints about the sound card either, does exactly what it claims to do, at least on win 10.