What Are You Drinking Now

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Bambi_1319, Aug 10, 2007.

1. HeXa

HeXa Member

Wolf Blass Australian Tawny port

was on special at SPAR awhile back.... my daily drinking selection needs restocking if I am reduced to this :Paranoid:

2. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Couldn't decide what I wanted to drink tonight... 'Having drinks' while gaming is a bit of a thing lately with me and some mates... They all got beer... I got 'Dry Dock' An Australian 'Premium Lager' :D

At least it doesn't taste like cat piss... hahaha

3. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Got a bottle of Grey Goose in my fridge... Been opened about 3 years, 3/4 full... Google tells me it's safe... But I dunno... haha

4. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I love this stuff. Probably not for every one as it's quite sweet and syrupy.

[​IMG]

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Just having a crownie.....it's been a long week, already! : (

6. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

"You can get it shearing a sheep,
    you can get it spamming a forum...
    matter of fact, I've got it now.."

We are not Chardonnay drinkers, but I got a bottle for my birthday, and we are drinking it now. Actually quite nice!

7. Hetty

Hetty Member

Chardonnays can be lovely. Me and the hubby just came back from a trip to the Hunter where chardonnay is one of the main types of wine made. It really opened our eyes. They have a bad rep because when chardonnays were first made in Australia the grape vines were too young, so they had to heavily oak the wines to give them flavour. Which made for pretty gross wines! We bought about 40 or 50 bottles of wine while up there, many of them lovely chardonnays.

As for what I'm drinking... I can't have that wine now because I'm on a diet! I'm about to have some peach sparkling water.

8. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Was a long hard day today that required alcohol at the end of it. Lol. Couldn't find any of the recommendations at my local bws, so I resulted to strong bow. Oh so satisfying. It was a long day!

9. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

It's fine. Almost all straight spirits are shelf-stable, at 40.0%abv / 80 proof nothing nasty could grow in it (especially if it's been kept in the fridge).

Bit of a shame to leave such a good voddie unfinished for so long though, some of the alcohol will probably have evaporated and it may have suffered some oxidation which will affect the super-smooth taste that GG is known for.
    But it certainly won't do you any harm (unless you polish off the rest of the bottle in one sitting... :p).

Sweet and syrupy... like Drambuie?!? :D
    If so, I'll definitely have to give it a try... I love a wee Dram or three, to round off an evening.

Is Sortil├ęge commonly available or do you have to get it sent/brought over?
    (Not impossible for me, my cousin and his family live in Toronto)

RIP John Meillon, Aussie legend.
    Such bitter irony that he passed away due to cirrhosis of the liver. :(

Properly cellared Chardy from good vineyards can be great but young, overly-acid and heavily oaked is like sucking a vinegar-soaked lemon. :lol:
    Ok, maybe not that bad, but I'd much prefer a young Semillon or Sauv Blanc to a young Chardonnay.

I don't tend to cellar whites or spend a lot on them as I greatly prefer red varietals, so I usually don't go near the kind of Chardonnays that I can afford. :)

Drinking now: Coopers Sparkling Ale, because I had an early finish at work but the local was sold out of my preferred Pale Ale.
    Nice for a change, but the extra alcohol content can do nasty things on an empty stomach.
    I'd better go and eat something, lest I ruin myself for tomorrow. :lol:

10. Matt P

Matt P Member

There is a massive oversupply of really cheap sav blanc floating around at the moment and surprisingly it is mostly drinkable. I've been buying cheap dozens off the net for about the last 2 years and the only rubbish one i've come across was a chilean one (why they'd import wine to Australia to sell it for $25 a dozen i'll never know)

11. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

I remember thinking that when a workmate first ordered some Chilean red online to give it a go... why the hell would they try to absorb the Wine Equalisation Tax and compete in a nation that produces some of the best wine in the world? Needless to say, it was pretty damn average.

We're really spoiled in Aus...you can get decent quaffing red/white parcel blends or even single origin varietals for 4 or 5 bucks a bottle that shit all over the stuff you'd get in Europe for the same money.
    Check these guys out for some great co-op funded cellar door deals:
    http://www.nakedwines.com.au/

All that being said, I bought a cheap Bordeaux from Aldi the other day which was $7.99/bottle and not bad at all. Would probably be pretty hit'n'miss though, depending on how it was stored/transported.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  12. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Just cracked a crabbies strawberry and lime ginger beer. Not a bad taste

13. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So I've posted in this thread a lot :D

Tonight, I've been drinking some 'Jim Beam' 6 year old, picked up from Maurituous (spelling?) by a friend.

Surprisingly smooth, and not bad.

14. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Shadduppayaface, ya blerdy pierceport. :p

Farkinell. It's almost 3:30am and I have to go to work tomorrow and I've had faaaaar to many Coopers Pale Ales.

Good start to the week. :Paranoid:

15. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Hahaha. I stopped at around 1:30. Went through about half the bottle... Lol

16. Boneman

Boneman Member

Johnnie Walker Black, straight from the bottle baby!

17. Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

got some Manuka Honey Bee Mead for the bday damn its good. Not usually a big drinker but i could get used to this stuff.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

A cheap Corona tonight.....courtesy of an awesome Woolies voucher :D

Two cartons for $75.

19. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

What was that voucher?

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!