What are you sitting on?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by badmofo, Feb 19, 2020.

1. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yes yes your arse, but what's under that? The only time I get to nerd-it-up is the hour or so before bedtime by which time I'm physically knackered, and my bods just not putting up with it anymore. Sore neck, headaches, etc - I get plenty of exercise and some basic stretching / strengthening so am not looking for general self-help, I'm interested in what you guys are sitting on. I'm assuming a lot of you are 40+ desk jockeys like me.

Anyone using a gaming chair for example? One of these bad boys with epic lumbar support and a headrest looks the business:

https://www.centrecom.com.au/gaming-chairs

I have a decent quality office chair but it has no armrests / headrest, so you can't exactly relax into it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  2. adz

adz Member

I pimped out an nice'ish office chair with parts scavanged from the previous "gaming" chair after the shitty welds gave out.

3. connico

connico Member

Humanscale liberty

4. nimmers

nimmers Member

Herman Miller Aeron and Mirra chairs are great. Had lots of issues pulling big hours sitting and having a good chair makes all the difference.

Vanne and elvis like this.
  5. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

My after hours chair is an Officeworks horror, and needs to be replaced. But I survive the 9-5 thanks to an Aeron at work, which I picked up second hand.

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

In the console room, a three seater couch my father in law gave to me when he upgraded.

The room its in has three sides of gaming, and I just spin the couch around to whatever era I feel like playing.

The kids game room have budget gaming chairs, and my arcade room has stools.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Vanne likes this.
  7. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I have an ‘operator chair’ that I got from the local furniture shop. It’s served me well for a number of years. It’s soft, wide and sturdy, just like me.
    I think this it it:
    upload_2020-2-19_20-29-24.jpeg

I’d avoid those racer style gaming chairs, you will get a better office chair for your money without all the gimmicky bits.

This might be more your style OP:

upload_2020-2-19_20-31-3.jpeg

:p

adz and Vanne like this.
  8. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol a few years back , my missus bought me a really nice leather office chair.. at the time I thought it was a bummer present, but it pays back every damn day i use it. Love it, esp after those frikking rubbish airline chairs I spend a lot of time in. Those fucking things should be burned.

9. elvis

A (single) mate of mine years ago treated himself to a Lay-Z-Boy recliner for his living room (to go with his big telly and gaming setup). Got a wireless keyboard and mouse with a "stable table" type tray for his PC gaming, and controllers for consoles. I was pretty bloody envious, I have to tell you.

10. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

My desk chair is a terrible second hand piece from work but it has more padding than the old officeworks job it replaced and a higher back. I really should have something better considering the time I spend on my PC.

I got a mate that has an Aeron and swears by it, I've tried it and it's good but I haven't spent hours on it. the price tag deterred me.

I need to decide what to put in the back room for console gaming, wonder if I could fit a pair of recliners side by side. Would be exquisite 2P comfort.

elvis likes this.
  11. elvis

I worked in a pretty swanky architecture firm eons ago, and they rolled our Aerons for everyone.

I can confirm, they are the single most comfortable office chair I've ever had the pleasure of pressing my buttocks against. Customisable support everywhere, easy to set up so you don't slouch and don't get headaches, and mesh all the things so you don't sweat like a peasant.

If you need to sit upright (PC gaming, sitting at a desk, etc) I don't think there's anything better.

Hells yes they're crazy expensive. But worth it.

WuZMoT likes this.
  12. connico

connico Member

Gumtree for Herman Miller... You'll often get a good deal... Rarely get a steal though

13. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Only important is the number of legs.

14. OP
    OP
    badmofo

badmofo Member

Thanks guys, sounds like spending lots of money might be in order. My wife has a $1K+ chair (RH Logic I think) with a high back and headrest - I'm WFH today so will give that a crack. I really like the idea of a lazyboy but that doesn't work for most of the computing I do - PC games with mouse + keyboard.

15. sammytrailor

sammytrailor Member

I work from home and game all from the same chair. So I'm in a chair most of the time. Like DonutKing, I bought a leather operator chair (a buro Persona 24/7). They are built for the "husky gentleman" so even if you aren't slamming down too many zinger combo's daily, the extra support means they last forever.

The old adage "Don't skim on anything between you and the ground" holds true for office chairs. A good chair will last you nearly 10 years, so a $700 investment is under $100 a year. Buying a shitty Ikea chair each year is more expensive and, if you are unlucky, will do irreparable damage to your back.

16. mkusanagi

mkusanagi Member

Herman Miller Aeron, picked up two for $30, couldn't get them fast enough!

elvis likes this.
  17. elvis

That right there is the bargain of the century.

18. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

That the type of jealousy makes me close a tab.

19. Hater

Hater Member

image.jpg

Something retro of course

20. shane41

shane41 Member

$10 Tina Turner chair. 70's style ftw