What chipset for my line length?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by R3IGN, Dec 31, 2013.

1. R3IGN

R3IGN (Banned or Deleted)

Hey guys i know some chipsets work better on long and short lines

Here is the stats from http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au

Your Results
    Line of Sight: 1317 m
    Estimated Cable: 2041 m
    Estimated Attenuation: 29
    Estimated Maximum Speed: 13666

So what chipset would you guys recommend?

2. Cpt Watermelon

Cpt Watermelon Member

Plugging in an actual modem and getting attenuation values would be better. 29 could be way off depending on the age and the degradation of the line.

3. OP
    OP
    R3IGN

R3IGN (Banned or Deleted)

Upstream Downstream
    Current Rate (Kbps) 1000 13592
    Max Rate (Kbps) 1002 13804
    SNR Margin (dB) 6 6.4
    Line Attenuation (dB) 22.4 42.2

4. caspian

caspian Member

just buy a decent modem and use it, not a cheap piece of crap.

most of the discussion over which is the apparently superior chipset is a myth.

5. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

I wouldn't say most discussion and then call it a myth, some chipsets do perform better on poor lines, it's just the levels of superior that some people claim are the myth. Difference between a good chipset and a bad chipset is likely to be no more than 100-200k if your lucky. Better off with the modem/router that has the features you want.

On a poor line that difference can be sync and no sync. I experienced it myself when i was having issues on line at my old place, NBN9 900k sync, 7404VGP 700k or no sync.

6. Renza

Renza Member

I've found broadcom based modems to be the most stable even on long/noisy lines with low SNR

7. caspian

caspian Member

broadly I agree, but I've also personally experienced different modems that sync at 13 and 19Mbps respectively on the same line - same line cord, socket, everything but the device itself. that's a chipset compatibility thing, nothing to do with superior performance, quality or anything else. the same two modems might well have performed exactly the opposite in different circumstances.

possibly, but my initial reaction on reading that is that 900Kbps is barely worth having anyway - it might achieve sync versus another modem that won't, but it basically going to be down on the ground dragging itself by its lips at best. it will be running a bucketload of errors and unstable if someone cracks a fart at the other end of the house, so the real problem is to get the line fixed, not finesse the hardware.

there are certainly some crap devices out there that shouldn't be touched, but if you're buying a decent device then I honestly don't think there is an across-the-board difference - urban folklore about long/noisy lines aside.

you can't even rely on price. time and time again I have seen $1000 Ciscos beaten by $75 consumer grade stuff. certainly the router is superior, but that doesn't do you much good when it's inescapably coupled to a fairly basic modem.

8. biatch

biatch Member

I've seen Ciscos start putting AC voltage back onto the copper pair and therefore start causing its own dropouts. I didn't fully believe it until it happened on my own home line. Telstra came out instantly and physically disconnected the copper pair outside the house, 'cause it was setting off some alarm.

If you're currently getting 13mbit and it's stable (presuming that it's stable), then why get a new modem? what are you expecting?

9. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Braodcom is great for over 1.5KM. I use the billion 7800n, been working for 3 years better than anything else I tried before that!