What coolant for hybrid watercooled laptop loop?

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by bennyg, Feb 21, 2018.

1. bennyg

bennyg Member

So my laptop hybrid watercooling setup is functionally complete and works well

My question is what coolant/mix I should use to mitigate the various issues present

Right now it's open loop, soft vinyl tube, and mixed metals, lots of mixed metals... keep in mind this is a project, my choices were made primarily for cost, availability, and functionality... not for longievity.

If some things should be swapped out I can do that, all suggestions are welcome. I can plug the top of the res to be airtight but it will need topping up occasionaly as a few drops escape sometimes with the QDCs (and I would drain and purge the laptop's loops for travel)

I'm not particularly worried about the tube clouding over, it is unavoidable as it's near a window and exposed to the UV of afternoon sun, but it's cheap so I won't cry if I have to replace it every 6 months. My main concern is anything springing a leak near the business end (so I will be adding clamps at some point) since the quick disconnects are the lowest point in the loop. Not ideal but any other setup caused lots of bleeding issues.

I've been reading a bit;
    Distilled/deionised water as base to avoid galvanic mixed metal corrosion
    Alloy (green) automotive coolant for anti corrosion additives (I have quality stuff on hand, Penrite concentrate with extra zinc for the galvanic issues inherent in my 25yr old alloy BMW engine)
    Metho or silver kill coil (why not add yet another metal into the mix!) as anti-bio

What kind of levels do each of these need to be to be effective? I was thinking about 10% methylated spirits, and the rest a distilled/coolant mix at about 1/4 the strength of automotive coolant

I don't see anything inherently special about dedicated PC watercooling premix or concentrate.

The components:

10mm soft vinyl/PVC tube from bunnings
    MCP655 pump
    Phobya res/balancer
    360mm rad (second hand; copper I think)
    6x Coolermaster SI2 120mm in push/pull (cheap and quiet)
    A mix of alphacool 10mm-G1/4 barbs with o-rings, chrome I think
    Black nickel phobya quick disconnects, with 10mm brass barbs soldered onto the male end using sn63pb37 low temp solder paste, no internal o-rings on either (obviously)
    Dinky $1 thermal probe with display :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

juzz86 likes this.
  2. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Fuck yeah, love it :thumbup:

All things considered, you've done a pretty solid job as far as the metals go mate. It's only really the Lead that 'doesn't belong', but fuck Lead-free solder in all forms.

All I'd do would be to clamp up a few of your barbs for peace-of-mind, and probably run an automotive coolant pre-mix to keep it as low-maintenance as possible. If tubing doesn't bother you, colour doesn't matter either.

Got any pics of the internal work?

3. OP
    OP
    bennyg

bennyg Member

Yeah separate thread in modding

It got dodgy the longer it went on but it handles two GPUs @ 170W and doesn't leak

4. havabeer

havabeer Member

honestly just use the automotive coolant mixed to normal engine ratios on the bottle.

you'll get maybe 1 degree difference between it and distilled water. never even heard of people using metho before.

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Add metho into the mix and watch the acrylics in those reservoirs turn to rubble inside a week - if not hours or minutes... just use standard automotive coolant, nothing else required.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    juzz86 and bennyg like this.
  6. BigDave

BigDave Member

:thumbup::thumbup::cool::cool: What he said :thumbup:

7. toolsncorpses

toolsncorpses Member

Very cool.