1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What did you machine today

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Butcher9_9, May 5, 2023.

1. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I thought it might be interesting to have a subtractive manufacturing ( CNC Router, Mill, Lathe ect) thread to go along with the additive (3D Printed) one we already have.

Feel free to post your creations and any details regarding how they are made.

Mickatroid and juzz86 like this.
  2. Cererus

Cererus Member

Set of triple clamps I designed for my project bike, took more than a day though

Probably not in the spirit of hobby machining which I think is the intention of the thread. I'm an ex tool maker and have a HAAS VMC to play around with at work.

IMG_20230401_161432.jpg IMG_20220913_164606.jpg IMG_20220906_152608.jpg

Tinian, woja, MrSnuffy and 4 others like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Does not really matter what machine it was made one, still a personal project. Also you could do that on a hobby machine , it would just take 10+x longer and the surface finish might not be as good :) .

I made a set of screw drives recently on my 6040 CNC, I have an A Axis but Fusion 360 hobby edition no longer supports it so had to work both sides separately. Bored 2 holes in the 2 half's to align when when gluing and then for the 2 sided operation. Forgot to take a photo of the partly machined step. The most of the drivers are from a Makita set other than the far right 2 which are from cheaper drivers.

I initially only made the 2 far right as I wanted a short shaft but long handle which does not exist in the wild , like them so much that i made a full set.

IMG_1562.JPG IMG_1570.JPG

Last edited: May 8, 2023
    Tinian, caspian, brayway and 3 others like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

The Bed on my CNC is not the best and my chipboard spoil board is on its last legs ( Chipboard does not like mist coolant and its literally falling apart.) so I have started to make a new Bed.

Bought a 100x20x4000mm bit of extrusion, rough cut it into 5 pieces with a circular saw and then again a bit more accurately on my table saw. Each piece is a fair bit larger than my CNC machines work area so i'm doing the front and then back. Got part way through on the weekend ( Each piece takes about 4 hours of machine time with a chunk extra for tool changes, moving clamp ect.

IMG_1611.JPG

The second part is half way through. The raised section will be the work area of my CNC, I'll flatten that and add a few reference holes / lines once its installed so I can be sure they are flat / square to the machines axis.

The 2 holes that are that are not centred are for referencing the second half.
    Larger holes at either end are for securing to the CNC
    All other holes are approximately M8x1 ( 0.2mm smaller than normal ) All single point thread milled , will be just shy of 200 total. I have a bunch of Stainless coil inserts that will convert then to M6x1 but they are a tough undersized and the magic of single point thread milling is you can make any size of threaded hole.

With a little bit of help of the table saw the plates will be locked together with a small tough and groove ( maybe a bunch of epoxy for good measure).

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  5. brayway

brayway Member

I really shouldn't subscribe to this thread, it's going to make me really want a lathe...
    Some impressive work in here so far though!

6. Soc

Soc Member

Made a 900x900 burn box.

6mm steel. Apparently it got so hot that the middle of the sides flexed out 15mm. Gonna update the drawings to pin them in.

Attached Files:

7. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Looks pretty good, Water jet , plasma or did you manually cut that all?

8. Soc

Soc Member

3kw laser. :) Just stuff I have sitting in the garage. :p

Rampage101 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Lol, knew I recognized the name. "I started a laser business" thread.

Soc likes this.
  10. Soc

Soc Member

I guess it's kinda cheating.

Drug trays and dividers for a travelling veterinarian.

Attached Files:

woja, nin82 and brayway like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Hows it (The business) treating you financially if you don't mind me asking.

12. Soc

Soc Member

I am losing money quickly.

Each day, between the machine repayments, gas bottle rentals, gas bottle fill charges, Xero business costs, It costs approx 150bucks a day.

I've made some decent sales, but I think I'm still undercharging.

I'll go update my thread properly tomorrow.

13. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Its a fine balancing act, charge too much and business dries up, too little and you fail.

Might take a while for you to get a foot hold in the market. With those fixed monthly fees you really need the machine running all the time which is hard when you are first starting out.

14. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I'm a bit ADD, love procrastination and get side tracked easily. So I have a lot of projects on the go.

Started making some side tables 6 months ago and finally made a bit more progress. ( Had time to kill in the work shop while I baby sit the CNC making the new CNC bed)

I made a end grain chopping board some time ago and had some off cuts left so i made the trippy bit below. I had planned to inlay that straight into the top of the table but I did not end up with enough so will try my first double inlay. The pale board below will be inlayed first and then the patterned bit into that.

IMG_1615.JPG IMG_1617.JPG

Defyant and Soc like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Started milling and the wood for the legs ( From old roofing timbers) but I'm not sure if I'm happy with the leg design yet so was hoping for some input.

Currently the legs are symmetrical but not sure if I should make the topof the legs a bit smaller so there is more of a gap between the top and the legs.
    Also have 2 ideas for the very tips of the lets ( Top and bottom.) I have models the first option.
    Untitled.jpg
    3 legs so I'll have fun with the joint. The hole in the middle is for a Red Glass sphere and I'm going to round over all of the Edges but that's not needed in CAD as i'll just use my router table (much faster) .
    Table.png

Soc likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Finished the most of the CNCing of the new bed. I still have to cut the tongue and groove on the table saw. I did make a small mistake at the back , I updated the main sketch and turned out that I had dimensioned the rear holes to the wrong thing and they came forward abit. Figured it out of the first 2 but did all of them to make it look symmetrical.
    IMG_1644.JPG

Found a very large chuck and mystery plastic at a local salvage store for a good price ( 25x400x600mm for $25), I think its HDPE but its just a guess. I would have liked thinner but such is the roll of dice at the salvage store.
    IMG_1647.JPG

Old spoil board is pretty wrecked.
    IMG_1622.JPG IMG_1624.JPG

Updated #2

Finished the Tongue and Groove, I don't have a flat top table saw blade so it came out a bit ghetto. I had assumed it would I have planned to fill the gap with epoxy .
    IMG_1655.JPG

Also cut some grooves in the underside so that the bed sits a bit lower. Stock was 15mm thick so I sunk this by ~5mm. I did check clearance with the Y Axis before hand and changed a few bolts to lower profile ones. Got about 2-3mm now.
    IMG_1652.JPG IMG_1653.JPG

Still need to drill and tap all of the mounting holes ( Only 2 line up with existing holes).

Update #3
    Drilled and Tapped 28 holes by hand i nthe CNC frame, glued and screwed everyhtign down and levels hte bed.

First pass shows it was not flat ( 0.45mm off the top), second pass removed almost everything ( Extra 0.2mm). Did not have enough meat to do a third pass. But its good enough given I rarely use the full bed without a spoil board.
    IMG_1662.JPG IMG_1664.JPG

Now I just need to de burr the ~200 holes, install the stainless threaded inserts and do the spoil board.

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  17. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

All done.

IMG_1675-1.jpg
    Turned out to be 204 threaded holes I machined and another 28 I had to manually tap.

Made about 2X 20L buckets of chips making this new bed.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
    AdamMB23, dirtyd and Soc like this.
  18. cvidler

cvidler Member

I'm busy* turning a 100x300x52mm chunk of 6061 into a part, all on a manual mill. will have to get some pics.

*lol, it's taking many hours so far, and many many more to come over a few weeks I predict.

19. Soc

Soc Member

I really need to get my CNC mill working again...

20. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Got any processes you want to add to your work flow to use multiple machines? ( Laser + Mill, bending ect)