What did you print today?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by th3_hawk, Jan 14, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Interesting...
    Couple of questions. Is it heat causing these issues?? Putting it into an enclosure seems to have helped with some thing but not others... I did notice stepper issues until I was printing with the top and side flaps of the (stock Creality) enclosure open to allow heat to escape.

I've got a Micro Swiss direct drive and hot end waiting to go in and would consider doing the mainboard as well if that's going to make things easier. What would you upgrade to? The 4.2.7 or something else?

I assume that's using a 80/120mm fan with a step down converter to 12V? Got a link to the page for those stl's? I've got a pile of 120mm computer fans sitting on my desk at the moment which I'd be happy to repurpose, 80mm I would have to buy but it's not like they are expensive.

2. Defyant

Defyant Member

Cheers :D

In Cura choose triangles infill with high density (60%) then zero top and bottom layers :thumbup:

3. Defyant

Defyant Member

Nice!! i'd be really keen to hear how the swiss works out :) keep us updated !

They say it's the heat.... then i read different things.... Upgrading to 4.2.7 fixed the prob. Then i upgraded to JyersUI firmware.

A good way to tell if your having probs is to listen and watch your extruder motor if you notice any layer or under extrusion.... you will here it !!!

I had one of the bad printers in an ikea hack enclosure and couldn't hear it..... took me a while to work it out.

MB Cover
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4653994

Has mounts for this

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/124184290892

PSU cover

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4822648

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4792732

You will need these too!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4721832

4. OP
    OP
    th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Interesting. I installed the reality all metal extruder as well as a BLTouch and enclosure, all purchased from the Creality store. While it mostly seemed to work the extruder was clicking and skipping and under extruding a whole lot and the stepper was getting damn hot. At the time I thought it was an issue with the metal end vs the OEM plastic one so swapped them over and the feed issues seemed to go away... although at about the same time I also opened up the top flap and half opened the side flap to allow for at least some air flow. Things are still pretty warm inside, but the stepper seemed cooler and happier. I figured this setup reduces dust (since I can close it when not in use) and minimises drafts while printing to help with warping/lifting (which it seems to sort of mostly do?... although I had a little lifting today on the side OPPOSITE the opening!).

Maybe I should just try pulling it out of the enclosure and seeing if that helps. Seems like the simplest plan of all really!
    Alternatively, the other plan is to remove the PSU and hard mount it under the table and use a longer cable with plug to get to the mainboard... maybe move that outside the enclosure too with some more extension cables for all the things.

I have to do some more reading on the 4.2.7 board as my first pass seems to say that the Ender 3 V2 LCD doesn't play so nice... while I don't really use it (since I use Octoprint) it is nice to see at least temp and layer X of Y to get an idea of progress while you're at the printer.

Defyant likes this.
  5. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

the other thing with creality boards is the fan is on the same circuit as the part cooling fan - so if you have it low or off then the board does not get enough cooling. solution is to put the board fan into permanent 24v

i went a different route and put all the electronics outside of the enclsure of the ender - all the stock cables just fit if you dont have it too far

Defyant likes this.
  6. Defyant

Defyant Member

I am having fun with some down time between runs, Getting some more printer mods and upgrades printed . One thing i like about the enders, they are fantastic to mod :thumbup:

This is more of a "what have i printed this week" :)

3 down now and going for a bright lambo green for the next then finally for the 5th a plain white. As you can see im testing out different coolers . But keeping pretty much everything else the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    mad_mic3 likes this.
  7. Elmf

Elmf Member

You're too good Defyant. Love seeing your posts.

I had my first print fail due to something that wasn't adhesion (I only just bought a Creality CR-6 SE). Seems maybe my nozzle randomly got a bit blocked? Cleaned it out a bit with the thing they give you and just doing another test print now...hopefully works ok!

I'm printing brackets to hold up a laptop underneath a desk, because I basically bought the printer to tidy up my office LOL.

Headphone stand next :)

Defyant likes this.
  8. Defyant

Defyant Member

Cheers mate :thumbup: That's a damm nice printer ! you ganna get some amazing prints from that :D

i can't seem to stop printing this one...https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2446648

Every time i show some mates or fam i end up printing another :D

Been printing gazillions of these for the tradies that come into the shop.

[​IMG]

Elmf likes this.
  9. Elmf

Elmf Member

Very funny you say that, my next print is one of those in white for my "testing PCs" set of headphones ;)

It will be my largest print so far and I'm a bit scared haha

Defyant likes this.
  10. Defyant

Defyant Member

More of the same :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Elmf

Elmf Member

I don't have a pic on hand, but I printed a custom PSU shroud (like not professional like Defyants stuff at all) for a cheap-ass case that didn't have one. It hid the hard drive and the cabling quite well and was like...no effort.

Defyant likes this.
  12. scips

scips Member

IMG-20210718-WA0001.jpg
    IMG_20210719_151053.jpg

I think I've almost got some good settings going (diff PLA to last time, I think it wants lower temp)

Its about 20cm across, other half is printing now :D

Gonna tweak it with a few more settings then a friend wanted a gold USS enterprise....nerd.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    mad_mic3 and Defyant like this.
  13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Just out of interest how much does something like that cost to 3dprint, in materials?

14. scips

scips Member

Uhm, it'll end up weighing about 600grams, its about $25 for a 1kg spool of PLA.

This one is beefcake settings tho, less walls and infil it would be ~400grams.

Defyant and MR CHILLED like this.
  15. savolion

savolion Member

What filament are you using? It looks great - I've been using the Esun +

16. Defyant

Defyant Member

Cheers :) XINGTONGZHILIAN from amazon, really does print nice ! pretty much this brand for all my fancy Ender 3 colour mods...

Flashforge for all the stuff we ship off and some Noulei here and there.

17. Defyant

Defyant Member

Still having fun trying new coolers and designing my takes on some of the pro builds out there. This theme is based on the amazing Ender / Voron switchwire conversion.

This is my personal printer on the desktop beside me :) Thought i'd tone the colours down a bit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one for the missus as well :) Altho, i have to say that pink is pretty sexy !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A link to the files i made if any one else want's to use the theme :)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4937076

m3k and mad_mic3 like this.
  18. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

I just printed this!
    Not very exciting I'll grant but the first print using the newly installed X-Change and a flexible sheet on the bed.
    A bit more tweaking to get the bed level and then printing a Hero-Me mount/duct as the stock Creality shroud is only attached with one screw.
    new_print.jpg

Defyant likes this.
  19. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

The Afterburner is one the next mods on the list for my Ender3, bought the Fans and have a spare Bondtec clone to pull parts from.

What mount did you use for your machine? There are several on Thingiverse
    Part cooling OK? Some people say its not the best but it does look cool.

20. Defyant

Defyant Member

This is an afterburner clone ! it goes over a stock hot end. All you need to do is add the 4020 blower fan. The blower fan can get loud... but i rarely ever run it at 100% usually 20-40%is more then enuf for pla/pla+.

The grey one has a Trianglab Microswiss clone installed and the they really do work well together. Unlike the bulkier coolers this one lets you see under @ the print.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4916389