What do I do with these chicks (birds)?

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Danske, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Danske

Danske (Taking a Break)

Heya,

So story is there was a light above my car in the car park that was replaced, the electricians chucked the old light in the bin, I thought I had heard birds around there before, but figured it was just adult sparrows hanging out, but it turns out there was 3 chicks in the light frame, in the bin!

So I opened the light and took the nest out, and put the nest in a box.

My problem now is, how do I make the mum come back to the nest to feed these tiny things? They keep chirping and opening their mouths at me and I keep saying "I can't feed you guys". Obviously they don't understand me.

I called the vet and when I said I think they are sparrows because I've seen a sparrows around they said they won't take them in because they are pests/invasive species :(. Only advice i got was to try put the nest back where it was.

The box with the nest inside is about 3-4 metres away from the original nest on my balcony, will the muma bird come back and find them in the box? Can she identify their chirps?

I don't want them to die because it will be my fault for getting the light changed/fixed!

Bird lovers, halp!

Here's a pic of the chicks:

[​IMG]

They are sparrows right?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  2. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

unless something has happened to the mother, she should come back. Just makes sure the nest is easy to get to and out of the way of cats/whatever.

3. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske (Taking a Break)

Okay sweet! I went and hung the box up from the roof with some rope haha. It's very close to where it originally was. Hopefully the muma comes back soon because they are still hungry and chirping.

4. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

5. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske (Taking a Break)

Always an option.

It doesn't look like the mum came back to feed them last night. I couldn't hear them chirping this morning so either they've been moved by the parents, been fed, or died :(. On that note, how does an adult sparrow move it's chicks, they aren't exactly small.

I'll look in the box properly after work. If they're alive, I'll set up an enclosure on my balcony and try take care of them.

Apparently there's a wiki-how to take care of sparrows lol.

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

If they are very young, they'd need mum to snuggle with in the night or the cold could do them in. They could also have been taken by other predators. Don't beat yourself up over it if they are gone, it happens. Nature can seem cruel.

7. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske (Taking a Break)

I spose I did my best, fairly sure they're about 0-2 weeks old. Bit sad (but completely understandable) that the vets won't take them in as they aren't native birds.

We'll see tonight if they've survived.

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

That young, I'd expect they'd need a heat source, I wouldn't expect them to survive outdoors alone, but you never know, mum might have found them and they aren't chirping because they've had a hearty breakfast.

It's ok to dream.

9. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske (Taking a Break)

2 of them died :upset:.

The third one wasn't in the box, so I dunno where it went. Maybe the mum found it and took it to the new nest. Or i just couldn't find it with all the crap in there.

I was pretty upset when I found them dead :upset:.

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

I didn't want to rain on your parade, but they were goners the minute they were left. You shouldn't blame yourself, they could have been abandoned before the nest was disturbed.

11. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske (Taking a Break)

Yeah, fair enough.