What do I need? A Switch or Router???

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Menthu_Rae, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Hey,

ATM I have my home network like this...

[​IMG]

Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

Now, I want to upgrade to Gigabit ethernet- seeing that two of my PCs support it (Server and my main Desktop) - so I can do my weekly backups a lot faster between these two.

Currently my Billion 7402GLM assigns IPs via DHCP, and this seems to work fine through the, what I think is a 10/100 8 port Switch... all the PCs on the network get the necessary IPs and can access the internet fine.

What I want to know, is can I just buy an 8 port Gigabit switch? Or do I need an 8 port Gigabit router?

To summarise:

* Billion 7402GLM w/DHCP
    * 10/100 "Switch" (pretty sure it's a switch) - allows all PCs connected to it to get an IP via DHCP from 7402GLM, and can access the net fine.

* Want to replace 10/100 "Switch" with gigabit version... so do I need a Switch or a Router?

Thanks. :thumbup:

2. STIK79

STIK79 Member

just change the switch to a gig version - however anything hanging off the modem (top PC) in the pic will be obviously limited to the switch built into the modem/router

3. OP
    OP
    Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

OK cool, I'm aware of the limitation of the modem... once I get this gigabit switch, the PC on the modem will be transferred to the switch. :thumbup: No point in doing that now, as I don't benefit from higher speeds, annnnd the power point the switch is plugged into isn't surge protected :Paranoid:

So yeah, switch will be fine? Sweet. Do I need to upgrade to Cat6 cabling, too or would Cat5e be sufficient?

4. HeXa

HeXa Member

all on the same network and subnet... so just a switch

go with Cat 5e to test... normally works fine with GbE

5. OP
    OP
    Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Because the other PCs only have 100MBps network cards, does that mean I won't need to upgrade their cables, because it'll auto-sense the speed and work as it is now?

6. tin

tin Member

You won't need to upgrade cables at all anyway (probably). Assuming you only have a short run (20m or less), any old Cat5 should handle the GBE.
    Only replace the cables if you feel like spending money, and/or your cables are already dodgy (kinks, strange ripples, broken clips, etc) or if you get errors after switch to GBE.

7. OP
    OP
    Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Alrighty, no worries - thanks for the info :thumbup: The cables for the two PCs that'll be running @ 1Gbps are quite short, only around 2m or so.

BTW I'm looking at this guy, ASUS GigaX 1108N for $95

http://www.jantech.com.au/product.asp?pID=46621&cID=1196

Should be fine, hey?

8. Lodion

Lodion Member

If either of the PCs you want to backup are the one connected to your router, replacing the switch won't make any faster. So if that is one of the two PCs, I'd first move that to your switch and see how that helps :)