What do you do with legacy office Hardware?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by [RMS] ST1NG3R, Apr 11, 2019.

1. [RMS] ST1NG3R

[RMS] ST1NG3R Member

Hey all.

I've found my self in a predicament with a number of old laptops, desktops and phones at work. As the IT guy I had been telling staff whos computers I've been replacing that they'd probably be able to buy the hardware from the company thinking nothing more of it.

Accounts have now told me that it'd be a conflict of interest to offer hardware to it's previously assigned user before anyone else within the company and that fair method needs to be followed. This prompted me to do some googling and find that a lot of vocal sysadmins on reddit suggest selling it direct to e-waste programs. I've got a moral objection to this as I would rather it gets another 2-4 years use before reaching landfill.

How do you guys handle deprecated laptops, desktops, etc at your workplaces?

2. olie

olie Member

We use a government approved auction house to sell all of the equipment, a link is then sent around if staff wish to buy anything.

Accounts like it, because they get the money, and it can be easily audited.

Staff often pick up 2-3 year old machines with great specs for $15-$50.

3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Liscensing doesn't transfer only the OS if their is a MS sticker on the laptop/desktop, also you will be required to wipe all the machines and provide a certificate that all the data has been wiped, epecially if Gubermint hardware or any bidness that stores user information. This is why there is a whole industry that charges gubermint/bidness money to dispose of old hardware.

firey4059 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    [RMS] ST1NG3R

[RMS] ST1NG3R Member

That doesn't sound too bad. What's the site if you don't mind disclosing?

5. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Well then just offer the hardware to everyone in the company. Presumably their old users would value them more than others.

6. OP
    OP
    [RMS] ST1NG3R

[RMS] ST1NG3R Member

Would you offer it with a set price/ reserve, or do you set up a bidding war? I can't settle on a nice 'fair' way to do it.

I'm liking the 3rd party auction giving staff the option to purchase from that.

7. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

I mean how were you doing it before? Just put up the same price you would offer to the previous owners, but to everyone in the company.

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

I remember such a thing at a previous workplace. It wasn't so much an auction as they had shitloads (everyone always had the latest and greatest, so the just not so latest or greatest were always getting dumped) and there wasn't a demand for them all, you just said you wanted one and they organised it (or didn't in my case, they stuffed it all up and I said "forget it"). The "mob" they used wiped everything and organised the OS (they did have an OS).

firey4059 likes this.
  9. olie

olie Member

We use evans and clarke, but I think they are only SA based.

Also we pull all drives prior to sale.

Our reserves are $15.

10. slavewone

slavewone Member

My experience was 10-15years ago and pc’s felt like they cost a larger part of one’s pay packet.

Accounts wanted it to be fair because we had 50 people. So, I took a list of everyone who was interested, put a (low) price on everything and then drew names out of hat, the 3 interested people all got their choice/s and $100 into the warehouse bbq fund. I reckon it cost 2-3x that in wages.

After that, accounts let me do whatever I wanted with it.

firey4059 likes this.
  11. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

When I was with QLD Govt, it used to be handled per business unit/per department. In the dept. I worked for, IT would wipe them all and re-install OS. There was a list you went on to purchase one with original user being given first preference, then whoever was next on the list. That stopped around 2012 and they were then handled by external companies (Aust. Computer Traders/Data#3 and such) for a while before the option to buy fizzled out.

Best bet I think is a global email/notice board post etc. accompanied by the first preference/next on list.

firey4059 likes this.
  12. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Last time I considered 'selling' to an ewaste mob they happily provided me with a quote to pay them to take it off my hands. Pass.

I generally keep stuff around and hand it over free to anyone who needs it, usually mums/dads with kids etc. Can't see the point in milking anyone for gear we are otherwise discarding anyway.

13. Gunna

Gunna Member

User devices we donate to schools that help under privileged kids or we work with women centres to help domestic violence victims escape. Phones, laptops and iPads are a great tool to help empower these women to flee and can help them with any courses they are put into.

Server gear we usually run to the ground and then recycle.

firey4059 and /invariance\ like this.
  14. scrantic

scrantic Member

In Melbourne Use Green Collect for recycling of equipment that doesn't hold any value but want to ensure it gets ewasted properly.

HP also to Hardware buybacks. The way the guy explained it to me was they refurb and ship it to developing nations where they are happy with older generation hardware or spares.

15. tensop

tensop Member

does any of it actually get ewasted?

dont they just melt down the pcb's with acids to strip the gold and other components, then dump the chemicals straight in to their surrounds? :)

16. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Take out the hard drives and wipe them 50x over to make sure they are clean, and give the machines away to poor students/families.

Contact the salvation army or St Vincent de paul, contact the local primary and high schools, your local church usually knows who in their congregation don't have much funds...

Hell, even here there's likely a few local kids to you who use the school computers and wish they had their own at home. I was one of those kids in school who worked for $4.90 an hour and bought every piece of my computer little by little, i still remember it

Athlon XP 1800+
    a7n266-VM
    256mb ddr ram
    40gb HDD
    onboard GPU until i got Geforce 4 MX 440

Hell, if you were in Brisbane i know of a few places/people that would love them.

firey4059 likes this.
  17. scrantic

scrantic Member

I deliberately selected Green Collect as they undertake some reasonable vetting over the distribution of their e-waste recyclers. While it's not ever going to be perfect end to end control of processes and distribution I believe their core purposes is more environmentally aligned than some of the bigger e waste recyclers out there.

18. bcann

bcann Member

I just normally rip the HDD's out and take them our to the gun range and turn the platters into swiss cheese. anything that is left that the staff don't want (I fully tell them they NEED to supply a hdd, as we keep the recovery disks so can give it to them OOB once we have the HDD) we flog off on fleabay/local for sale groups.

19. koopz

koopz Member

go to the top.

speak your mind.

20. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Sorry?