What do you do with legacy office Hardware?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by [RMS] ST1NG3R, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Hive

Hive Member

instructions not clear enough, nuts caught in ps2 mouse ball receptacle. Send help.

2. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

How did you fit one let alone both?

I am deeply disturbed by this.

Explains those fuzzy rollers.

Hive likes this.
  3. Ezy2Confuze

Ezy2Confuze Member

We set our Finance department straight a few years ago because of the beggerising around they wanted us to do which wasn't worth our time, so Servers, Switches etc. we use a company that wipes the config's, drives etc. for us, although the Operations IT staff get first dibs on Switches etc. for their home labs and the Devs. for their higher end desktops - although we have now gone notebook's throughout the company for our "flexible work spaces", which really isn't hot desking by another name, just ask Senior Manglement.

Desktops - we had Lenovo M92p's with 8GB's and SSD's - we paid $15.00 each to have them wiped as the CEO wanted to give them to staff. which we were happy with and did, after the SSD's were wiped and Windows 10 installed.

Otherwise I donate stuff to the Musketeer's http://www.mandurahmuscateers.org/

4. davros123

davros123 Member

This. Tell the accounts team to go fuck themselves - you run IT so fuck off.

Matthew kane likes this.
  5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Sounds like accounts are volunteering to take over the process. I'd place all the used computers in their office, and let them deal with it.

freshmania and phrosty-boi like this.
  6. archie

archie Member

we run our own charity in a remote rural village in india.
    this place didnt have electricity till we wrote to the prime minister and it was connected finally in 2017.
    its my ancestral village in India.

since then we've installed solar panels. I've donated 7-8x intel compute sticks to setup a "PC lab" for students to use computers. They are all running Khan Academy off a raspberry Pi.

We're also running PC classes for adults in the area to learn some basic PC skills. pay their bills, help filling/printing/emailing various govt forms etc.
    to give you an example, the govt has a scheme at the moment that they will help everyone in building a toilet in their house (yep! no need to go running to the fields to dig a hole), however forms need to be filled in and sent off to the relevant departments. most villagers want the toilet but aren't educated enough to fill in the forms

If you guys have any half decent laptops I'd love 2-3 of them to send over there :)
    keep the HDD if you wish and I'll buy one and put one in myself, with a clean install of windows.

you can see our facebook page here, https://www.facebook.com/Goodwill-Public-School-Bokaro-Dist-330625153804128/

sorry for "begging" but i really feel its a worthy cause.

freaky_beeky likes this.
  7. Jaco

Jaco Member

Hard drives get pulled and nuked, either sent back into production if they're a certain type we're still using and pass testing - or offered up to staff if they want it - or get boxed up for the crusher

Servers get pulled and put into storage if they're past a certain age (offered up to staff if it's decent but can't be used again) - or put into automated testing before releasing back into the availability pool for new customers to lease.

At my last job during its acquisition, 95% of the gear that was hoarded over the past 9999 years and carried from datacentre to datacentre when they moved around during that period, was dumped or sent to an e-Waste facility local to me that I organised, which harvest anything with value out of everything (same as that recycler LinusTechTips features in some videos, FreeGeek?)

8. Dr Kildare

Dr Kildare Medic!

Has evolved over the years but we currently offer EOL laptops to staff on a first come / first service basis to keep it "fair"
    Limit of one per person per refresh cycle.

We do also donate laptops to charities as well upon request.

Other kit (servers, switches, etc) is recycled. We currently use https://buyequip.com.au/