What do you do with photos?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by hochiroku, Mar 12, 2019.

1. hochiroku

hochiroku Member

Hey guys I'm really keen into getting into photography. Just want to know what you guys do with photos? Sell, album, share online? Print?

2. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Blackmail :Pirate:

firey4059 likes this.
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Store away for years and years and never look at them again : p

firey4059, Dark Orange and herzeg like this.
  5. havabeer

havabeer Member

I've taken a bunch a of Polaroid and now have no idea what to do with. Other then shove them in a box and let my kids deal with them when I'm dead

firey4059 likes this.
  6. Athiril

Athiril Member

Uhhhh.... :confused:

lol

Maybe Ill make a book

7. TonyR

TonyR Member

For holiday photos I build them into DVDs. I tend to take a lot of video as well as stills while the better half takes mostly stills.

I use Lightroom and Photoshop to clean up the stills and Nero to combine stills and videos to build the DVDs.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Scan or take pictures of and at least have them electronically somewhere.

9. herzeg

herzeg Member

Great question; I have been toying with the idea of getting an uber quality large, mountable digital picture frame for this purpose, for domestic use - struggling to find something with some sense of workflow. Thinking about this one.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 at 4:13 PM
  10. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Depends why you take photos.

For all my paid/work work it gets seen/used/printed/displayed a lot more than my personal work.

For my personal work, I have printed it and created numerous galleries and things with it. A big part for me is the enjoyment/challenge I get from actually taking the photograph. Quite often the result is the icing on the cake (hence why I have such a backlog). But I intend on having some lovely fine art printed albums of different trips, adventures and stories in the future.

My long term goal is to have more curated galleries of work I have created over the years. Whilst the idea of selling this work is appealing, I already make a living from photography and understand the challenge of monetising and how that can take away from the enjoyment if you dont have the passion there.

Personally, I think you cannot go wrong with a solid gallery system where you keep archives of your shot and edited work for you to be able to enjoy, look at and show whenever you like/wherever you like.

11. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I enjoy the process more than the result.

Come up with a concept
    Find a suitable location
    Find a time/date when the location is suitable
    Find a suitable and willing model
    Find a suitable wardrobe
    Find a suitable makeup/hair person
    Organising a time/date when the location, model, MUA and myself are available.
    Set up lighting
    Take the photo

That is all the fun stuff.

As to your original question, what I do with the photo is polish it up a little and then deliver to the model/mua then archive it never to be seen again. If it is one I like or want feedback on, I will post in a photography forum somewhere. Occassionally I will post one to 500px as everyone needs a portfolio.

12. redav

redav Member

Lose them when the hardware fails. I printed a couple once. They probably represent .01% of what I've taken over the years so I guess wasting time is a big component? :lol:

13. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Sell hopefully, delivered digitally to clients either pre-paid or post event
    Print out some for myself for the walls, done a few coffee table books too which are nice for holidays
    Share plenty on the socials

14. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

i don't do any work for others anymore, so all personal. We use some of them to decorate walls at home. I use a couple at work for testing printers. Mostly they go on facebook for friends to see or sit there collecting digital dust.