What do you feed your dog? (Looking for recommendations)

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by acap, Oct 11, 2018.

1. acap

acap Member

[​IMG]
    My dog ultimately isn't too fussy but i try buy food that's actual food for him.

My parents buy him this Aldi garbage that is just empty calories. so while they're away i binned it and bought 5 big bags of Farmers Market Dry food - which isn't too bad. He seems to enjoy it but i'd like to get some diversity in there - ideally without compromising quality.

At the moment I'm between wet-food, trying to find one that's grain free and artificial/preservative free.
    Using Hills Canine Senior Cans atm, because he's an old boi but am very keen to hear some recommendations

Some products I'm looking at atm:
    Natures Table
    Optimum - one i'm not too sure about, usually 'celebrity' endorsed products are shit. the online reviews that seem legitimate are quite negative (why does it have garlic in it?)

Looking forward to hearing from you :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

I give my coovodle, optimum daily.

Wednesday cheapest beef (not mince) usually some kind of diced beef from Coles, fed fresh for the first feed, afternthat is portions of frozen cooked.

Saturday or Sunday in the park, frozen solid raw chicken necks or boiled than frozen full breast or boneless thigh.

His treats are carrots and bananas what I’m eating or kangaroo or duck jerky from Coles.

I’d say optimum is decent, but the extras give him a good boost of protein and minerals.

3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

3 star mince is cheaper per kg then dog loaf.

4. Radley

Radley Member

I have 2 golden receivers. They get 3 chicken necks and a cup of Royal Canin for golden retrivers for breakfast and dinner. They also get a dentastix before I leave for work because it's their favourite treat. If we don't use chicken necks I'll get mince or whole chuck fillets that I cut up. I prefer the necks though as they are better for their teeth. I tried turkey necks once and they are fucking enormous and disgusting.

5. OP
    OP
    acap

acap Member

that's actually a fair point, do you add veggies to your mince?

6. OP
    OP
    acap

acap Member

For the most part we try avoid little bones for him, we had a little scare where some bones had did some damage to his stomach and it got infected. what do you think about the quality of dentastix? have you looked at purina dentalife?

7. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Quality dry food as mentioned by most, and I give them the meat raw as dogs require more fat in their diet then humans and human food isn't the best for our canine friends. I also give them brisket bones once a week for their teeth health.

Also pour some olive oil over their food once a week, apparently good for their coats.

My dog is a pug, and they can be fussy eaters, to avoid this I just give em food once a day, with 3 dogs one of em will eat it, eventually they will eat whatever you give em, provided you don't feed them off your plate showing your weakness to em. Dogs are a pack animal, always be the leader.

PS - I do vary it up form them as eating the same thing every day would be boring so we do chicken and turkey mince and offcuts from the butcher, I also buy roast chickens as treat, and they love the meatball things from VIP, and sausages cooked with chili sauce is his favorite treat.

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

A wide variety, sometimes tinned, sometimes real meat, sometimes kibble (cheap or on special, it varies), sometimes dog sausage, leftovers, whatever.
    Cheap dog food is still food. It's waste meat/offal and other stuff cooked up, just like the expensive stuff. Buying meat from the butcher isn't any more meat than the meat boiled up and stuck in a tin at a factory, and the prepared food has other stuff added that is needed in a diet. Just don't stick to any one brand and type (and that includes the "premium" food, remember the Royal Canin debacle?)
    I've never had any pet with any deficiency disease. You don't need to pay a fortune to keep them healthy.

9. Radley

Radley Member

Quality is not the best (I've actually got no idea what's in them, but it's Pedigree so must be shit), but they go mad for them. I have tried Purina and Greenies but they don't like them very much.

No, this is incorrect about cheap meat. The cheap tinned/dried foods are full of fillers like grains and fats and the overall quality is very poor.
    You do not need to spend a fortune though, I agree with that, but the cheap stuff is very nasty.

10. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

The main food our girls get is the Royal Canin dry food, we switch them between two slightly different ones recommended by the vet, so it's not always the same thing. If we're cooking pasta or rice, we cook extra for the dogs. Same goes for things like (uncooked) Lettuce and Carrots, to get some veggies in their diet. (Plus, watching dogs eat lettuce can be hilarious.) They also get bones from the farmers market 2-3 times per week, but that's more for the entertainment and the teeth cleaning, not a lot of actual meat there.

11. OP
    OP
    acap

acap Member

Sorry i managed to miss this completely, my sister also has a covoodle and feeds it ivory coat dry almost exclusively, i guess some dogs are more sensitive to Optimum than others - in reading the user reviews there are so many claims that it made their dog sick or have digestive problems

ipv6ready likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    acap

acap Member

This has definitely been pretty insightful thus-far. Im definitely going to look at the cost of uncooked mince to supplement his diet.
    I'm probably as much of a dumpster as most of our dogs probably are (being able to eat nearly anything) but i still feel its important to optimise my dogs nutrient profile, ultimately because food without nutrition is for short term vital maintenance but when nutrients are lacking it draws away from things that ofset aging and deterioration (focusing primarily on living).
    What kind of treats do you prefer to give? At the moment the main thing my dog enjoys is those aldi julius biscuits but I've been looking at jerky options lately. I take trips up to newcastle fairly often and the farmers market on sundays has big bags

13. Kurt

Kurt Member

We have two large dogs, a Great Dane (male, 70kg, 4 years) and a Great Dane X (female, 35kg, 9 years), so we use quite a bit of food ;)
    Luckily, I work in a large commercial kitchen so I have access to a lot of good quality left over food. I bring home steamed veggies and left over cooked meat, which we chop finely and mix together, somewhere between 50/50 and 70/30, then freeze in 1kg packages. They share one of these packages for dinner each night. If it isn't chopped finely, they'll pick around the veg and just eat the meat.

They always have access to dried kibble as well, we switched from Science Diet to Kirklands Nature's Own. The Costco food is half the price and contains no grains, unlike the Hills one.

They also occasionally have a whole chicken carcass or large cow bone each, they enjoy the treat and it's good for their teeth.

According to the vet, both dogs are in excellent health, they've been on this diet almost 4 years.

14. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

I didnt have any issues, but my sisters coovodle had issues with all kinds of food.

The difference I deduced was, Buddy my dog shares a flat with me, so I know exactly what Buddy eats, where as her Missy have two loving teens and hubby sharing chips, bread and all kind of left overs and have become a lot more fussy.

The two coovodles are from the same litter.

But I will look up these reviews, thanks for the heads up.

15. Revenge

Revenge Member

I have a golden retriever.. so far the only thing I have found that it won't eat is lettuce.
    Once went out the back and the fucking dumb shit was chewing on the remains of a dead possum..
    She has gulped down more than one dead bird on a walk if we didn't see it first.

Generally gets a variety of whatever quality dry dogo food, Royal Canin, Advance & Black Hawk etc is on special.
    Cup in the AM and again in the PM with either some chook necks, wings or beef/lamb off cuts and any veggie scraps from dinner

While we try to give her variety and quality... at the rate a GR gulps down food I really doubt she can taste a difference.

16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

WoW I feed my dogs once a day, and I only leave the food bowl on the floor for 30mins. This is done in the evening at 6PM every night, then 1 or 2 times during the week they are given a bone when I leave for work and they are locked outside of the house for the day,other then that they get the odd treat.

My dog was over weight 10kgs+, he is now 9.2kgs and much more mobile and happy, don't over feed your dog, spend more time taking em for walks or playing with them then feeding em.

EDIT - my pug is 4+ years old now and is considered an adult not a puppy, so feeding him less often is advised by the vet.

17. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Your routine is almost identical to mine, cept I usually give em a bone every day.

Since you have a pug it's especially important to not overfeed.

18. WildWebb

WildWebb Member

Lol sounds like mine any dead animal hes all over it, and hes amazing at get mice and rats! I bet she has a nice shiny coat with that feed

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

The Aldi tins aren't. They look and smell good enough for people to eat.
    A lot of the information about the "terribleness" of cheap options come from the premium brands who want to get you to pay top dollar for whatever they are flogging.
    If you feed a variety of brands and types, any deficit in any brand or type doesn't cause any issues. A dog is no more going to get some horrible consequence from a meal of "crap" than we are from the odd hamburger. It's the overall picture that's important.

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Basically the BARF diet...bones and raw food. A variety of meals adhering to this principal. But of course he gets snacks etc that deviate outside this which is fine. Also gets some traditional dry food.