What do you look for in a HTPC software

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Revenger, May 28, 2010.

?

Why do you chose your HTPC program

1. Its easy to use even though I cant customize it that much

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  2. I can customize everything even if if it has too many of the same thing and isn't really easy to use

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. It just works to a extent but allows me to customize somewhat even if I cant change everything

15 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. Its super shiny I don't care what it can really do or customization

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Other please state

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Revenger

Revenger Member

This poll is asking what you look for and choose in a HTPC program above anything else and the reasons why you chose that.

As well as the poll list what HTPC app you use and why you chose that over all others below.

And what features you personally want to see in HTPC apps.

Also please list what features really annoy you in HTPC apps like for example 'too many options' 'not easy to use' etc

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. Segression

Segression Member

i chose the first option, mainly cause i use win7 media centre, its kind of shit but due to the fact its somwhat easy to setup and just watch stuff, i use it.

If anyone knows better lets hear some programs =p

3. nipper575

nipper575 Member

I'm a big MediaPortal fan, never looked back since I made the change.

If you asked me of my opinion of it when I first tried it out years ago, I wouldn't of had much to say in regards to it. It was a hassle to get working correctly, was considerably buggy also.

Good things come to those that wait, especially if you are active on their forums. It is now as stable as any other HTPC program for me, and it is very customisable due to it being open source. There are heaps of plugins for it.

4. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

XBMC using VDPAU on *nix. Simple, customiseable, stable, full of features, great performance. :thumbup:

5. pie123

pie123 Member

I am using Windows 7 Media Centre + Media Browser, it is simple, easy to use, and very customizable.

6. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

CODEC and container support is the big one for me. If it cant read dvd ISO's off the network then it doesnt get a second look from me.

7. pie123

pie123 Member

Windows Media Centre will run pretty much whatever you have codecs installed for, i use it mainly for 720p/1080p X264 Matroska's, but also play the occasional DVD ISO and Xvid file.

8. Nitrov8

Nitrov8 Member

Something that just works, for computer noobs. Like rest of family.

It has to work day in day out even when I'm not here.
    I would love something I can customise to an inch of its life but reality and life gets in the way. :weirdo:

9. cicada

cicada Member

Tried a few different options. Win7 Media Center is still quite a long way ahead of anything else out there for me. It's got niggles still yes, but it's slick looking and very family/wife friendly. Needs a couple of addons installed to really make it fully featured, but it's super easy to setup now too.

I'll be using it until DRM and content protection cripple its functionality to the point I'll need to move to an open source alternative.

By then open source alternatives should be just as good, if not better.

10. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

XBMC with Aeon skin for me, functional and looks pretty to boot.

11. Predator

Predator Member

Something that works just like MP-TVSeries in Mediaportal. Best plugin ever made IMO.

12. Cadbury

Cadbury Member

Another vote for XBMC. But i havent tried it under Unix where you can team it with other apps for TV support.