What do you think re superUHD vs OLED ?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by vladtepes, Aug 10, 2018.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I don't want to be that arrogant arsehole on the Internet (too late?), but if you're concerned with the image quality OLED is offering, you're not watching Channel 9 (nor any free to air).

Get yourself some nice UHD/HDR/Rec.2020/Rec.2100 footage, and, you know, some decent content.

PersianImmortal likes this.
  2. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Yep, I mentioned this earlier and it’s also noted in the manual (but not prominently) - OLED is susceptible to direct sunlight as well as moisture damage. Also, static content containing yellow, orange or red is more likely to cause image retention or burn-in.

3. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I've said similar on other forums. People saying that they only watch sport on pay TV and will an OLED be good for this. My response is always, it will be fine but you're wasting the potential of the panel and your money as they're designed for 4K/HDR content.

elvis likes this.
  4. frnak

frnak Member

Yeah I don't know why Harvey Norman was demonstrating free-to-air on their TV's. Certainly doesn't do the OLED justice. Might as well get a cheap IPS or PVA LCD for that, it'll be brighter.

5. elvis

Here in Qld, JB HiFi used to have "Big Buck Bunny" running. It's an open source film made by the Blender Foundation, and technically 100% legal to show in store fronts (unlike other copyright media).

I think it's a bit dated these days, so maybe that's why they stopped using it. But because it's open source, you can render it yourself at any framerate - 4K and high frame rate versions of it were available very early on.

There are newer Blender films out now:
    https://www.blender.org/about/projects/

All of them can be downloaded, watched, distributed and used in store fronts without royalty, charge or copyright infringement.

6. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Oh how I'd love a Kuro.... :(

The funny thing regarding FTA DTV is that in every instance where I've dumped the internal tuner for a HTPC or even a RPi with digital tuner the image quality has improved noticeably.

The tuners built into the sets themselves seem to be pure garbage.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  7. Zee

Zee Member

True - the Kuro was a monitor only, part of the reason I loved it! no crappy tuners.

Z...

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Mine gets plenty of workout with those 4K movies I throw at it all the time. And they are absolutely stunning too.

Still looks great for watching sport on Foxtel but those 4K movies....mmmmm.

9. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

TV tuners in showrooms are not individually programmed, The signal in simply dasiy- chained together, irrespective of the program, be it a TV broadcast, a demo DVD, etc
    It's a case of one on, all on.
    A while ago I had a nice little Chinese remote, that would turn on or off all the screens , regardless of make or model. Great enjoyment was to be had watching the sales staff, trying to restore order in the TV screen department. The object of the game was to wait until they had restored order to half the screens , Then hit the button again. All the screen on, went off and all the screen off went on.
    It memorialized the term "Headless Chooks"

10. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

OLED panels have reliability issues. You get fading pixels over time.

11. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Nope. Read the information earlier in this thread.

12. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

What information, just bunch of opinions. The OLED screen panels on LG phones from the G3 onwards is a clusterfuck at best showing specific pixel colours fading to bright white. Ok phones aside, look at the huge amount of information with a simple google search result returned from "OLED fading pixels" and you get a vast amount of evidence that patches of pixels on LG OLED screens fade over time, time also varies, I'm not talking about becoming dimmer but losing there colour contrast as well. We have 4 large panel LG OLED's at work returned back to us at after 8 - 10 months of constant usage at stores, this tally's up to 34 in the past 39 months, my LG G3 also have the issue I speak of. It's also a reason why big time tech manufacturers in the engineering industry stopped using OLED panels in multimeters because they do in fact lose there original brightness, no matter how sparse you use it and how much you take care of it. From memory there was an article early this year indicating Samsung coming up with new ways of mitigating this issue.

Plasma screens on the other did suffer from burn in from whatever static images left too long causing certain pixels to stick. Ways of fixing stuck or burnt in pixels was by playing flashing black images bombarded with full screen colours.

13. nico6

nico6 Member

Nah, the G3 phone is several years old. My G6 is perfect. Your plasma comment re burn in (only) is also true but based on old/early tech. My Samsung E8000 plasma is still perfect and people still comment on the PQ

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  14. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Er, no, unlike your stream of conjecture and anecdotal evidence, I posted actual evidence such as a 52 week 20 hour a day burn-in test over at rtings.com which shows clearly that burn-in only starts occurring on an OLED only after 5+ weeks at 20 hours per day of bright logos, and also shows clearly that the OLED is not "fading" in general in terms of contrast or uniformity. Take a look at the photos for yourself (post is here). Compare the OLED on the left to the atrocious uniformity of the LCDs on the right.

Pixels do age on organic-based emissive displays such as plasmas and OLEDs, but the panel electronics driving the pixels is designed to compensate for this over time so it is not particularly noticeable.

Your story regarding the store display units is an extreme example in any case, as I'm sure you well know that store units rack up literally thousands of hours at very bright settings in a very short space of time, which has never been reflective of home usage.

Plasma pixels don't "stick" due to burn in, stuck pixels are another phenomenon altogether.

15. flu!d

Still running a plasma, no burn in to report after all this time.

16. elvis

I know folks love their Plasmas, but they're not perfect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CRT,_LCD,_and_plasma

Plasmas have nice black levels (OLED is better), but are missing both the gamut and brightness required for modern colour standards. If you're still watching DVDs, then sure, Plasma is great. But even for 4K Netflix, you want something nicer to look at in 2018.

Burn is appears to be the go-to everyone uses as the justification for their purchases, and that's fair enough. My most recent purchase was a Sony Bravia KD-55X8500E 4K LCD that supports HDR by spec. It doesn't look anywhere nice as the Bravia OLED range, but I have kids who love to leave video games and content paused for hours on end despite my ranting, so LCD was the purchase option.

BUT, if I didn't have kids to worry about, I'd buy OLED in a heartbeat. There is objectively no better display for the same money you can buy right now, even with its (very minor) flaws. Most OLEDs have a better response rate than LCD which is good for gamers, has far better gamut, black and white levels for HDR, and with neat pixel-moving tricks that good quality manufacturers are offering can avoid most burn in / image persistence issues that displays from even a couple of years ago suffered.

flu!d likes this.
  17. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Blasphemy!

You speak the Devil's Truth though, OLED has taken the top TV crown from plasma. Still, like fluid I have zero uniformity/burn-in issues with my plasma, and it looks too damn good compared to even the latest LEDs * for me to consider anything less than an OLED when the time comes. Let's just pray that the prices keep coming down on OLEDs!

I know predicting the future is difficult, but I can't imagine anything other than near-ubiquitous OLED usage in the medium to long term, and most likely it'll be similar to the wallpaper OLED screens LG is already putting out:

Untitled.jpg

If you have children, the obvious solution will be to sell the kids to a major corporation, neatly solving both the potential burn-in issues and also raising the funds needed for a 120" wallpaper OLED in one stroke.

* For 1080p Blu-rays

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018 at 10:28 PM
    elvis likes this.
  18. elvis

I've threatened as much. They think I'm joking, but I swear - one more broken remote control, and that'll tip me over the edge!

19. power

power Member

stretched 4:3 SD Foxtel.

elvis likes this.
  20. flu!d

Totally agreed, I keep hoping for this screen to die so I can justify replacing it but the damn thing won't die. Sometimes half the display renders with lines and I get all excited, but then it rectifies itself and is fine for another six months before it plays up again. It's not our only display device, I also have a projector and screen that pulls down in front of the plasma for large screen viewing.

If it dies I'll be going OLED, not really interested in LCD.