What do you use as your HTPC/ Media Player

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Pugs, Oct 30, 2015.

1. frnak

frnak Member

Likewise I haven't found any OS-level software that makes a HTPC easy to use on a big screen.
    I'd say most people auto-boot into their media player and increase the UI size in Windows for when they have to use it. Clunky, I know.

2. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I have mine set to 125% for 1080P (Projector) and 200% for 4K on the TV. Works fine, I just have the 3 icons I need on the Desktop, Chrome, Kodi and Jriver.

3. Azrael

Azrael Member

Im still on Win 7, which means it is still quite clunky (and there was some game that scaled menus as well, which was terrible).

Is it any better on Win 10?

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I run the following on my NUC HTPC Win10 Pro and it makes a massive difference, especially the capacity to change the size, style and bold of fonts for many aspects of the OS;
    Winaero Tweaker
    https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

https://winaero.com/blog/the-list-of-winaero-tweaker-features/

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  5. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Just bought an Nvidia shield, holy shit its an amazing bit of kit.

qwake likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Member

Anyone using Kodi on an XBone S as their main HTPC solution? Any comments on what it is like 9 months in, especially for codecs.

Vaguely tempted to get one as a replacement for my ageing Q6600 box, especially for the BD capability (see above)

7. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I ran Kodi forever on a Mac Mini. Compact, powerful enough, built in IR and everything else I needed.

Then along came the Apple TV 4. MrMC was a Kodi fork which worked fine (enough) but I've since migrated to Plex (and am so much the better for it). The ATV does Netflix and Youtube as well as plenty of other stuff, but it's mainly those three. We have two of these setup and they work perfectly. I can't think of a reason I would want to go back to a HTPC over the ATV4 for my use.

Backend is a QNAP NAS with i7 and 16GB RAM to keep everything ticking along.

8. aokman

aokman Member

I used to use Kodi a lot but Infuse Pro is far superior to it on the ATV that I have completely ditched it now :)

9. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

I use an xbox one. It turns my tv and surround sound system on when I turn it on with the xbox remote, it's got a tv tuner, plays blurays, has apps for all the on-demand paid and FTA catchups (Netflix), MyTube for youtube and plex for all my network media.

No fuss, easy to use, and it just works.

10. n3m3515

n3m3515 Member

I'm running the QNAP TS-853A which runs KODI and I just use the HDMI outputs on the NAS. Only problem is the output is limited to 4K@30Hz so I might look at on-the-fly transcoding and wondering if you find the picture quality to be just as good via streaming compared to direct connection?
    The reason I ask is I've got 1:1 copies of blu-ray's in ISO format (KODI supported format) which can range between 15-40GB in file size and therefore I would imagine on-the-fly transcoding does some compression and reduces the overall quality of the image?

11. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I saw no difference when I went to the ATV4, although I'm also only using a 1080 TV and everything is connected via ethernet. Even x265 and high res files work fine in my setup.

I do have another ATV4 on WiFi and other than a very short lag from play to video start (I'm assuming buffering) playback is also fine, again only 1080.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  12. CrazyDez

CrazyDez Member

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

13. Cadbury

Cadbury Member

I'm wanting to get an xbox eventually for playing Blurays.
    For now i use an Odroid C2 running Kodi. It does everything fine but, of course, cant play disks.

14. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

What. SO all this 3rd party info is bogus? Or have Nvidia changed the goalposts? Or is NVENC only referring to workstation/encoding scenarios, not pure HTPC playback?
    Plus posts on plex forums etc. from people saying it works fine....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo#Table_of_GPUs_containing_a_PureVideo_SIP_block
    https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=318937
    https://www.reddit.com/r/htpc/comments/741id0/psa_the_nvidia_gt_1030_does_hevc_hardware/

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  15. sobie2000

sobie2000 Member

I use both Infuse Pro on an apple tv plus Plex, but as all my tv's now have android os built in I have the Plex app on all the tv's.

Infuse on apple tv and ios devices is brillant.

16. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

I've messed around with HTPCs in the past, had windows MCE with a remote, also a keyboard and mouse in the loungeroom.

And honestly, it was all just a PITA. I got an original 500gb xbox one with Kinect, and it just works. The xbox one S or X have an IR blaster built in so they don't need Kinect.

17. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

I'm just running my PS4 Pro. Thankfully over the last few months there has been a big update to Netflix (added HDR + 4K), and in the last month there has been a significant update to Plex that finally brings 4K to it (HDR to come). Hopefully they keep improving... Was tossing up whether to get a Mi Box, but will hold out for a while longer.

18. miicah

miicah Member

The original Telstra TV now has Plex 'official' support in the store. I find it runs 1080p/DTS rips over WiFi just fine.

the_antipop likes this.
  19. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Panic over, did some light research, upgraded from MPC-HC to MPC-BE and also Kodi 16.1 to 17.6 and 4k HEVC native rips (60Gb+ size) play back fine without having to touch anything in both MPC-BE and Kodi. Happy camper for now, will worry about netflix 4k once/if I ever actually subscribe

Damn, I might have hung onto mine had this been the case, oh well took the OCAU trade money and ran lol

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  20. flain

flain Member

I'm running both Plex and Emby now. 3 of my TVs have native HEVC support when using them and my 4th TV (old 1080p TV) that had no support i got a Roku and run plex/emby on it.

Why both? Well Plex had no grid view TV guide for live TV viewing (untill recently) while Emby always had it. Not all the Plex clients have support for it yet either. Plex also never seemed to want to transcode live TV while Emby does. This has recently changed and Plex now has a TV guide in grid format. The only thing i allow to transcode is live TV, any other media is directplay. If something fails to directplay i find out why and fix it :). Often something as simple as renaming the filename or remuxing the subtitle track will fix a directplay issue. Pretty much all the 4K TVs these days do native HEVC and x264 decoding, along with dts 5.1 decoding in hardware as a pretty standard thing.