What do you use as your HTPC/ Media Player

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Pugs, Oct 30, 2015.

1. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Can your TVs' plex clients play 4K UHD natively without transcoding?

2. slickric

slickric Member

similar story here. I had a Netgear ReadyNAS for ages but these does doesn't have enough power so built a small PC as a NAS running FreeNAS. Serves as a plex server to the ATV4 in one room and Xbox One in the other.

3. aokman

aokman Member

PLEX is pretty garbage when it comes to knowing what a players capabilities are. Both my ATV and LG OLED can play natively with no transcoding yet the server refused to do anything else.

frnak likes this.
  4. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Plex has always been like this, from what I understand this was because there were using Apples player (which had to be in just the right format) rather than their own which could decode locally. I tested with MrMC at the time and confirm it had zero issues playing back any of my files over a wired connection and decoding locally.

While I haven't looked into it in any detail, I believe Plex now uses it's own player so it can do more work locally, although this is a switch I was prompted to press when they introduced it recently.

5. neRok

neRok Member

If you lot are having trouble with HTPC, you should get my companies IT department to hook one up for you. I just found out they re-purposed one of our CAD machines to run the TV in the reception area. Nothing like a 10 core Xeon, 32GB ram, and a GTX1080 to run your 720 videos on a 1080 TV :lol:

6. aokman

aokman Member

I abandoned them for Infuse Pro quite a while, they seemed disinterested in feedback and stupidly focused on useless cloud garbage.

7. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

It was this type of shit that made me jump off plex and start using Emby instead.

darknebula and aokman like this.
  8. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

Been trying to use my Samsung TV with Plex app, but it's rubbish when there's subtitles involved. Lots of hitching during playback from Synology NAS. It seems with Plex, either a powerful server, or a powerful client(s) is needed. If it's ARM on both ends it seems to be pretty frustrating. So right now I'm using my i5 laptop with Open PHT as the client. I'll get an intel NUC in the future and make that the client.

I've also been looking into Emby though, the way Plex is going I may jump ship.

9. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

That’s why I strictly set PLEX up for my local network only. Specs of my unRaid server hosts a PLEX server in a docker container, and specs are laughable. But zero transcoding work, still going very strong on my local gigabit network. And TV apps are always going to be rubbish regardless, so I have HTPCs for each major room in my house as PLEX clients which can also play games via Steam, browsing, work/study, using my old gaming PCs, repurposed for HTPC usage. Multipurpose and minimal set up.

10. miicah

miicah Member

I am going to be switching away from Plex as I found out recently (due to our NTD dying) that Plex doesn't work without an internet connection!

WTF is the point of a streaming/playing app that cannot play locally hosted content without an active connection? Dumb design. Looking at Emby or Kodi if anyone has a recommendation? Player is a Telstra TV, but willing to change that if necessary.

11. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

So they can capture your viewing habits for sale, of course!

Having said that, Plex needs a cloud service that remembers viewing history so it doesn't reset after updates.

12. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

I'll bite:

Running MythTV:

Backend:
    • i5-6400
    • 8Gb RAM
    • 120Gb NVMe
    • Storage:
      • Server 1: 72TB RAIDZ-2 on ZFS sever
        • 1 dataset for recordings
        • Separate dataset for videos and relatively static media files
        • Server is also backend storage for home lab/virtualization server.
      • Server 2: 12TB NAS (6 Disks in RAID 6)
    • 2 x separate storage servers lets me take one offline for maintenance and still have recordings ticking along. Gives high WAF.
    • Recorders 5 x PS3 PlayTV Tuner cards (dual tuners)
    This many tuners lets me have a permanent template that makes adds 30 minutes to the end time of any recording to avoid missing the end of shows due to anything but the worst cases of shows running late. (looking at you MasterChef and I'm A Washed-up Celebrity Get Me OutaHere.​
    Frontends:
    • Lounge room:
      • i5-7400
      • 8Gb RAM
      • 480GB SSD (Thanks to giveaway on here from Andy3008)
      • HDMI going though amp to TV.
      • FLIRC for the remote receiver.
      • Logitech Harmony 650 for remote for TV/Myth box/Amp. FLIRC lets me power up Frontend via remote as it maps remote buttons to keyboard button presses.
      • GeForce GTX 960 (Works well with SFF case)

• Bedroom :
      • Intel NUC i5-4250U
      • 4Gb RAM
      • Attached to VESA mount on back of 27"
      • USB-powered speakers for sound
      • Same remote and receiver as lounge room

• Have VM running as a slave backend with 10 CPU cores allocated to it for commercial flagging.
    Takes most of the load off the backend and with potentially lots of recordings going at once, means commercials get flagged much quicker across all recordings than if they were being done on the backend.
    Have frontends running on other Linux workstations.
    Cat 6 to all rooms in the house (32 points in total, patched back to rack).
    MythTV setup is scripted so can easily set up a new backend in any room if required.

Have recently upgraded front/backends to Ubuntu 18.04 from 16.04. Similar to others in this thread had niggly intermittent NVidia issues on frontend which went away with 18.04.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  13. flain

flain Member

Short answer - pretty much ALL 4K TVs with a plex client will play 4K UHD as directstream (native, no transcode)

Long answer:
    I have 5 TVs in my house, 4 x 4K TVs (3 x sonys of different models, 1 x samsung MU7000 - last gen, 1 x 1080p hisense). All of my 4K TVs can play 4K UHD native without transcoding using either plex or emby. IF a movie/episode (usually only movies) starts transcoding it's immediately obvious because my plex/emby server isn't fast enough to transcode 1080p let alone 4K. It's always either unsupported audio or unsupported subtitle format. So you either download a new subtitle file, or select the correct audio format (AC3/dolby 5.1 works on everything). For 1 or 2 movies i had that were really large downloads (50GB) i used mkvmerge to replace the subtitles rather than re-downloading another one that would of worked.

Basically the video portion for 4K content is nearly always HEVC/h265 and all but the very early 4K sets have hardware decode for that codec. HEVC/h265 asics are mass produced, cheap and are in every new TV these days. Audio and subtitle formats - not so universally supported.

As for that 5th TV - i put a roku on it with a plex and emby client. There should be plenty of sub $50 plug and play solutions for that now.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  14. flain

flain Member

BTW if emby is missing from the samsung store thing, you can change your TV to the US region (which i did), the TV clock is always wrong which is annoying but it works. The Emby app is only in the US store and while i love Emby their lack of care for aussies is a little annoying (their TV guide solution is crappy).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    maldotcom2 likes this.
  15. Azrael

Azrael Member

So my HTPC has finally basically died, and im goign to make the switch to something else.

Was planning on a Apple TV 4 as there is a native Kayo app, but they have jumped back to RRP recently. Considering then an Xbox One S for the BD player and Kodi etc. Seems to have native apps for everything i use, except for Kayo but that apparently works ok in Edge. Any reflections on how well these work with different codecs?

Roku/Shield are basically a no go currently with the Kayo settings.

Any other suggestions, especially on the physical media front?

16. frnak

frnak Member

If you're going to be using a lot of streaming apps, I'd recommend the Apple TV 4K. Universal search is a godsend.
    For physical media I just use an old console.

17. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I refuse to run Plex for this very reason. I run Kodi with a Linux server for storage/FTA HDTV via TVheadend with Kore as the official remote control app on my Android handheld devices and it's faultless.

If the device can't run Kodi, IMO it's worthless.

18. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

18.1 on Win10 has been crashing like a mofo for me, seems random, might crash when trying to skip a video or at the GUI, but if you say start a movie and don't touch it, it will play fine. Latest drivers.

Not installing from scratch, the point is my custom settings / skin menu settings and smart playlists etc., if I restore my config then that doesn't count does it?

on the plus side, unlike 17.6 its playing not only HEVC but 4K UHD HEVC with HW acceleration (Nvidia 1030GT) and doing the HDR to SDR mapping without a hitch, so at least there's that. Waiting for stability fixes.

Since 99.99% of my stuff is not 4k and I don't even have a 4k TV, back to plex it is for now.

19. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Correct answer. "It just works" :)

By the way, Infuse 6 has just been released.

20. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Hence why my HTPC isn't running Windows....