What do you use as your HTPC/ Media Player

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Pugs, Oct 30, 2015.

1. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Can your TVs' plex clients play 4K UHD natively without transcoding?

2. slickric

slickric Member

similar story here. I had a Netgear ReadyNAS for ages but these does doesn't have enough power so built a small PC as a NAS running FreeNAS. Serves as a plex server to the ATV4 in one room and Xbox One in the other.

3. aokman

aokman Member

PLEX is pretty garbage when it comes to knowing what a players capabilities are. Both my ATV and LG OLED can play natively with no transcoding yet the server refused to do anything else.

frnak likes this.
  4. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Plex has always been like this, from what I understand this was because there were using Apples player (which had to be in just the right format) rather than their own which could decode locally. I tested with MrMC at the time and confirm it had zero issues playing back any of my files over a wired connection and decoding locally.

While I haven't looked into it in any detail, I believe Plex now uses it's own player so it can do more work locally, although this is a switch I was prompted to press when they introduced it recently.

5. neRok

neRok Member

If you lot are having trouble with HTPC, you should get my companies IT department to hook one up for you. I just found out they re-purposed one of our CAD machines to run the TV in the reception area. Nothing like a 10 core Xeon, 32GB ram, and a GTX1080 to run your 720 videos on a 1080 TV :lol:

6. aokman

aokman Member

I abandoned them for Infuse Pro quite a while, they seemed disinterested in feedback and stupidly focused on useless cloud garbage.