What do you use as your HTPC/ Media Player

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Pugs, Oct 30, 2015.

1. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I have an existing htpc and my tv is ancient, no point replacing a thing. Browser and plex and straight vlc off smb works perfectly why spend more

I also have multi language libraries and subtitles. Clients have issues or restrictions always. I don't use netflix

At worse I could go linux

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  2. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

That's my point, I'm using Linux. Why pay for a full bloated install of Windows just for a HTPC? I had so many issues with Windows, Linux 'just works'.

3. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Can't be bothered just to fix kodi. And WAF

4. flu!d

The system automatically boots straight into Kodi, my Wife uses the HTPC just fine.

5. Azrael

Azrael Member

Yeah. Given my physical media machine is now dead I’ll need something for physical media too.
    Plus not a huge amount of streaming. Currently just Kayo, Netflix, and YouTube

6. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Your use case is not my use case, your preference is not my preference or my wife's preference or my kids' preferences, news flash at 11.

Did you miss the bit where I said I only really need Kodi for 4k UHD and I don't have a 4k TV so I don't care?

I don't know why you're trying to convince me to do what works for you.

7. flu!d

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I'm stating that your idea that Plex is the only option really isn't the case, I'm stating that you still have options under Kodi that are more effective than any option involving a bloated and expensive OS for use as a HTPC operating system.

Stop getting so defensive.

8. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

I think you have that arround the wrong way, at worst you could use Windows... ;)~

Use what you are used too and willing to accept as a user experience, and whatever short commings that brings as no setup if hassle free, and don't try to convince me differently as I have been doing this media on TV since the late 90s.

flu!d likes this.
  9. Copie

Copie Member

It can work fine without internet, there are plenty of guides on how to set it up

10. miicah

miicah Member

Yeah but you need internet to set those up :rolleyes:

11. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Emby is great, just point it to the local address and you're good to go :thumbup::thumbup:

I dont think there is a roku/telstra TV client for Emby though, I've got it running on a Shield and a Vodafone TV with no issues at all.

12. Azrael

Azrael Member

I ended up impulse buying an XBoneS on Thursday evening. Kodi works quite well on it once I figured out the SMB plug-in. No issues with any codecs so far.

13. Jaco

Jaco Member

I don't have any dedicated media player / HTPC, though I will one day when I centralise all my viewing from a nice loungeroom for instance

At the moment I just watch it from whereever I can, 55" TV in the bedroom, at my main computer, on the phone, on the laptop, etc

All media is served from my Plex server however,

2x Intel Xeon E5 2650 v2
    256gb DDR3 ECC (have a nice chunky ramdrive for transcoding)
    1x Samsung QVO 2TB (os+vms)
    8x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10TBs
    Windows Server 2016

Have a couple of things hosted on there, but it's primary use is for Plex and that's what 90% of the storage is delegated to

Only have ~100gb free space though lol

14. mjunek

mjunek Member

Still running an 2015 i5 NUC w/ 16GB RAM and 2x 500GB disks as my media player.
    Recently upgraded to Win10 from Win2012R2 server w/ Hyper-V role - it used to also serve a few VMs for home.

Media Player Classic (still the same version over the last 5 years, works a treat) - and just browsing using Windows File Shares.
    The Mrs knows how to use it, and the lifecycle of the media, so it works well.

Storage -
    QNAP TS451+ NAS - 4x 5TB disks (Raid 5 = 13.2TiB usable)
    Intel Core2 E6400, 8GB RAM, w/ Dell PERC H800 RAID Card and 2x Dell PowerVault MD1200 chassis, 24x 2TB drives (Raid 50 + 2 Hot Spare = 36.3TiB usable) - data deduplication enabled

daehenoc likes this.
  15. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I've been using Kodi, and it's very sweet. Came from using Windows 7 Media Center about 2 months ago when I finally called it quits on my 12 year old HTPC - grateful that almost a solid decade of random BSOD's are finally behind me.

With Kodi, I can't help but want to also run Youtube, Netflix, Curiosity Stream, Disney+ and Amazon Prime from within the Kodi environment... is this a thing that people do? And if so, how? Or should I just run these services in the Windows environment via the browser?

16. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

I'm using MythTV for recording everyday FTA TV, as well as watching movies and series. MythTV strips out all the TV commercials for us so we never watch TV "live", we always watching it 30-60 minutes after it has finished airing at the earliest to give MythTV time to flag everything and we happily jump all the breaks. Haven't yet looked at seeing if Plex can flag commercials from FTA TV recordings, but also don't think it does multiplexing either. Will find out later.

Tied into the MythTV media pool is Plex to allow mobile watching either in bed during sleepless nights with headphones, or when we are away on holidays - we just plug one of our phones into the Hotel/Motel TV via HDMI, control it with a Logitech K400R keyboard we carry with us, and away we go. Also serves other family members and some friends too.

Linux doesn't break a sweat with this stuff.

Dilbery likes this.
  17. power

power Member

plex player cannot be beaten on a media pc (the console versions suck otherwise i would have switched to one). also android apps for tablets, ahh and for FTA what little there is i'll drop out of plex player and use my phone as a mouse and just open the streaming in a browser - if i watched more than 1 or 2 things in a blue moon i'd do something else.

for youtube i like the switch app (probably got something to do with the mobile hw living in it) of all things either controlled with my pro controller or cast from a phone, i'd be even happier if there was a media remote for the switch the app is very snappy and responsive unlike whatever the fuck just happened to the PS4 app which went from average to laggy as fuck after the last update, the xb1 app doesn't cut is as the media remote is IR and microsoft's remote isn't much chop over the PDP BT remote on PS4 which has the added benefit of being able to control speaker volume as well as the PS4.

FWIW I still have a tv with no apps/smarts built in.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  18. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Emby still does it all for us, FTA, PVR and all our media on mobile devices.

19. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

PC is a giant PITA for streaming services themselves (netflix amazon disney etc).
    Broadly speaking often there is no app and you have to use remote/WAF unfriendly website, or, the website is gimped e.g. limited to 1080p. Obviously it differs between services and how good/bad their website is if they don't have a PC native client.

+1 for plex for the media library.

If I didn't need a full fat browser because reasons (not my reasons ROFL) and if I wasn't a tightarse (i.e. my HTPC exists and works) I'd just buy a Shield, as it is even my TV is still FHD so I'll wait until I upgrade the whole thing to 4K to redo it

20. neRok

neRok Member

Back in the day ( :p ) I used MediaPortal, and eventually switched the "back end" recording duties to ArgusTV. Neither of them would handle the ads, that was left to another program/plugin that I forget the name of. The recorder once finished would call that program to scan the new vid file, and it would find the ads (and had all sorts of config options for doing so). So this program could be run on any file/platform I imagine.

But with regards to live TV, if it was an hour long broadcast, I would just start watching it half an hour after it started and then manually skip the ads. This meant I would finish the TV show on time, and thus be at no risk of spoilers on social media.

But I've given up on FTA TV. The aerial cable hasn't been plugged into my HTPC for a few years now. About the only show I watch is ABC News, and that has a youtube stream. So I've just got a keyboard and mouse on the coffee table, and stream whatever through the browser.

I would consider one too. LinusTechTips reviewed it and found that it's machine learning based image upscaling was doing a good job. I would just want to make sure it has a full featured browser. Being Android based, perhaps that means it can run Firefox with uBlock :thumbup: I would also want to know if it upscales video coming through the browser.