What do you use as your HTPC/ Media Player

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Pugs, Oct 30, 2015.

1. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

We are now on an AppleTV 4K after upgrading the TV (the last one literally let the magic smoke out :( ). I bought it to maintain the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) since it works exactly like the last ATV4.... only in 4K.

In reality the new TV does CEC and ARC really well and the apps (though the Samsung store) are actually pretty good (the built in YouTube actually does 4K vs the ATV YouTube which doesn't... but that's a whole other story) to use and cover all the things I use, so I could have not bothered with the upgraded ATV4 4K, but it's there now and it works.

We haven't watched any FTA in years, although I have maintained a PVR until about two years ago and now just have the antenna plugged into the TV (which could do recording if I plugged in a USB drive) but we just don't use it. As was just said, ABC news has a stream or I can turn it on live if I really really needed to. I also have an Elgato network TV tuner which I've just plugged back in so I can watch the live news feeds from my laptop in my home office should there be something happening live re COVID19... I think I've used it twice :p

I'm also finding myself using my own Plex server less and less and streaming things more and more. The need for anything more complicated than an off the shelf box like the ATV is almost zero, screen mirroring is setup from other devices should we need it (which is not often) and I have near-zero management/upkeep :D

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Does Kodi on XBox allow custom refresh rates? i.e.: Play 24fps media and Kodi will set the TV's refresh to 24fps?

This works out of any Raspberry Pi (all models new and old), but not from the Kodi Android App on my TV.

3. power

power Member

when the NBN installer wanted to know where to put the HFC cable socket, i told him to rip out the FTA antenna socket and put it there.

ChinoPD and elvis like this.
  4. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

We just use an ATV4 on each TV with Plex on a Synology NAS in the comms rack. The ATV4s have plex plus the streaming services we use.
    We also have a FetchTV mini on each TV as well (except one, which has a FetchTV maxi for recording) for FTA on the odd occasion we want it (not very often now it seems)

Does everything we want, and simple for WAF :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    th3_hawk likes this.
  5. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

There's an SMB plugin? Tell me more.

6. NerfDude

NerfDude Member

It does support this feature.

There are some issues with the Xbox KODI and certain addons, I’m pretty sure all the addons that require Widevine for DRM don’t work.

if you want an android device with framerate switching you need to go nvidia shield or mi box. This is a decent option if you want Kodi and other apps. Although getting framerate switching to work in Netflix requires hacks on android.

If you just want a pure Kodi experience for local playback the odroid n2 has a great reputation.

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Works very well for me on RPi. Zero complaints there.

You mentioned hacks to potentially make Android support multiple refresh rates. Got any links?

8. NerfDude

NerfDude Member

9. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Well, it looks like this is just about done. My reasons for using an xbox are rapidly dwindling.

Late last year, one guide stopped working as a tv guide in Australia. Microsoft don't give a shit. Fast forward to a few days ago, and the tv started blinking on and off, so it seems that the xbox USB tv tuner is fucked (when I tried to pull it out, I discovered that the tv cabinet was sitting on top of the cable). I went looking for a new one, and in my google adventure, I found out that none of the new xbox's have an IR blaster, and they're dropping support for TV completely.

Couple that with my current TV having a dark segment, it looks like I'll be buying a new android tv and ditching the xbox.

Raptor_Eye likes this.
  10. kbekus

kbekus Member

As mentioned by NerfDude, I run Kodi on a Shield gen 1 and it does sync the TV's refresh rate to that of the media I'm playing. No experience on any other recent platform though sorry.

As an aside, I've switched my backend to Emby after many years running a shared SQL library across my several Kodi devices.. I use the Embycon plugin and allow it to take over the Kodi UI which is not ideal (quirky things happen when the photo screensaver kicks in and the default Kodi UI is way nicer) but the added functionality including streaming over http(s) to any browser anywhere and multiple user accounts make it worth it. I only run the free version of Emby.. I tried Jellyfin but it was a bit crashy.

elvis likes this.
  11. highkick05

highkick05 Member

I still have my 2 AMD Kabini based x86 HTPCs. I have now moved from DVB-T/S2 to IPTV streaming - thanks to NBN50 plans (2 HTPCs streaming HD channels).

I urge anyone with x86 HTPCs to try Android x86 (64 bit) https://www.android-x86.org/changelog.html
    Oreo release candidate 2 is amazing, uses a virtual LAN device for ethernet and sets up nicely.
    Also, sets up infrared remote reciever nicely, and when you take out all of your USB keyboard/Mouse seems to work on reboot/sleep.

Use the Apps -
    Button Mapper - will allow you to map remote button presses to Android/App functions.
    Tivimate (Tivimate must be downloaded as an APK)

Android is without doubt the best streaming OS for IPTV I have used - Kodi and Kodi Apps were ridiculously buggy and too slow for TV as importing playlists and EPG just never designed well for KODI.
    Now I'm just baffled how to setup my Movies & TV Shows. Perhaps I'll automate a m3u8 creator on the network drives and setup playlists from within Tivimate or just install Kodi in Android and exit the app when I need too.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  12. kbekus

kbekus Member

My mate just keeps Kodi in the foreground on his MiBox - that way it syncs EPG and Emby data frequently so you never have to sit there and wait for it to get it's shit together.

highkick05 likes this.
  13. Tinian

Tinian Member

I still run Kodi on my main workstation. Every time someone at work hears this and starts talking about plex my eyes roll back.

flu!d and Dr Evil like this.
  14. trevor68

trevor68 Member

haha yep, still a very happy Emby user here, does evevrything we need. I might update to a Android TV one day in the future, and move the Emby Server off to a NAS, but for now the MCE/Emby/Logitech One Remote combo is unbeatable, to the point where I can't be assed touching it.

15. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

still kicking along N40 user here... but pretty much overkill for my usage now.

16. Elmf

Elmf Member

I use my TV's built in Plex and Netflix Apps, when that screws up which it does occasionally I switch to my wired network PS4.

If I can come across a 3400G and ITX mobo on the cheap i'm going to make an ITX rig just cos I can though, but can't justify spending big bucks on it when they're only 4c/8t which is simply being superceded in future gens.

17. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Any particular Kodi skin? I lost my shit when I found Kodi supported Milkdrop for live radio. Triple J never looked so good.

18. highkick05

highkick05 Member

Turns out with buttom mapper App on Android-x86 , you can map both Kodi and Tivimate to long press buttons on One for all remote.
    Then just switch between apps running in the background. Pretty amazing ease of use there. Kodi from Google Play is buggy, hit up the kodi mainsite android-x86 archive server for ones that work (Krypton 17.3) (and update scrapers). Disable Google Play Store > automatic update apps. Or it will install the crashing Kodi again

Still haven't figured out how to wake it up with remote after sending it into standby with power button -> after prelonged sleep it seems to not wake up. Perhaps this is the OS compatiblity though, as these x86 releases are still only in release candidate stages.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  19. Tinian

Tinian Member

No, never bothered. But now you've got me looking. :thumbup:

20. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

I run Kodi on a Shield Pro, Arctic Zephyr 2 skin. I use MySQL and headless-kodi to scan for file changes every 5 minutes so the shield can sleep but still have an up-to-date library. It's better than plex.

[​IMG]