What do you use as your HTPC/ Media Player

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Pugs, Oct 30, 2015.

1. highkick05

highkick05 Member

Watchdog kodi app/service does an ok job updating media etc

2. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

I don't think that works when my Shield is turned off... doesn't cost me much more to run kodi-headless in a docker container.

3. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Bold claim. I used to do the same with Kodi, Do you still have to import .xmls for new clients to point to mysql? Or is there a better mechanism to do this nowadays?

How do you deal with remote access to the media?

Admittedly I've been using Kodi lately with the plex plugin, works an absolute dream.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    highkick05 likes this.
  4. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

I've got ADB over TCP so I can just do adb push or shell in and edit the config, not that I'm adding clients often.

I don't often remotely access media but SMB over Wireguard works well enough when I need to

Dilbery and highkick05 like this.
  5. highkick05

highkick05 Member

Had a look at docker and Kodi-headless. Quite time consuming setting that up albeit confusing. I do not bother if these days if it looks too technical or takes up too much of my time. Linux can be like that. I certainly will automate some scraper to check new additions , watchdog add on is not working on Kodi Android x86. Might hit up github for something that automate from python command line on my main win10 box

6. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Code:
    cat docker-compose.yml
    version: '3.7'

services:
      kodi-headless:
        image: milaq/kodi-headless:leia
        restart: always
        depends_on:
          - db
        links:
          - db
        volumes:
          - './sources.xml:/config/userdata/sources.xml'
          - './passwords.xml:/config/userdata/passwords.xml'
        environment:
          - KODI_DBHOST=db
          - KODI_DBUSER=kodi
          - KODI_DBPASS=kodi
          - KODI_CLEAN=yes
        ports:
          - 8544:8080

db:
        image: mariadb:latest
        restart: always
        volumes:
          - '/docker/kodi-mysql:/var/lib/mysql'
        environment:
          - MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD_FILE=/run/secrets/mysql_root_password
        secrets:
          - mysql_root_password
        ports:
          - 3306:3306

secrets:
      mysql_root_password:
        file: ./mysql_root_password.txt

That's about all I have setup wise for it

highkick05 likes this.
  7. highkick05

highkick05 Member

Yeah too much :)

8. randomman

randomman Member

Yep, Microsoft really bullshitted everyone with the complete media package. They ticked me off when they removed split-screen, I don't care their reasoning (new OS couldn't support it, apparently) as it's a feature I paid for. One reason I'm avoiding them this generation.

PS. I got an Android TV, while it was nice at first the experience has worsened. Random crashes and the TV's slow-at-release hardware is really failing it, the crashes lag... so if you get one don't cheap out on the processor etc. The crashing is probably Hisense's fault because Hisense.

9. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

I've recently switched my media app on my Shield from Kodi (to Plex briefly but didn't like it), now using MrMC. Not nearly as feature filled as Kodi but pretty nice and straightforward, and can use a Plex library (as well as other libraries) which is pretty slick. Never liked how cumbersome Kodi central DB was to setup and configure. Worth checking out for anyone wanting a fairly 'simple' solution.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tv.mrmc.mrmc&hl=en_AU&gl=US

archie likes this.
  10. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Microsoft fucked a lot of things. With the power of the Xbox, not only could it do games and streaming, but they could have positioned it as the always-on home automation server with cortana voice control. They had a wireless speaker that supported cortana which could go in every room, and there would have been lots of people who would have happily bought it and put it in a cupboard just to control their house.

There was a lot more potential if they had bothered to actually stick with some things instead of just dropping them because they weren't instantly successful.

Zenskas and BurningFeetMan like this.
  11. randomman

randomman Member

Ironic that I've moved most of my stuff to Google just as it seems they've done the same - feels like there's no longer any real noticeable improvements to Google Home, Wifi or Android (Pixel 5) and Android TV. The Android TV home "suggestions" (ads) really ticked me off recently but looks like they may now only be using content from services you have installed.

Zenskas likes this.