What do you use as your HTPC/ Media Player

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Pugs, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Copie

Copie Member

The 400 is good, it's what I have, but with PHT and intels remote mouse/keyboard app I never use it

2. miicah

miicah Member

I used to use it when I had a laptop as my HTPC, but my TelstraTV does all that now.

It's not bad for being a Telstra device, just wish I could install more apps on it.

3. Scandrew

Scandrew Member

Thanks, will give it a go :D

That's what I'm currently using :thumbup: Just comparatively not as simple vs the browsing phone/casting method I find.

4. htpcfan

htpcfan Member

I use a $45 AUD Amlogic S905X chipset Mini M8S Android media player, but I run LibreElec from an SD card so I don't use Android at all. LibreElec supports auto frame rate output depending on the content being played (23.97/24/25/30/50/60 Hz) as well as giving me optical audio output to my ancient AVR.

Content is mostly 720p/1080p HEVC encoded material on my NAS (HP n36l running Xpenology) and streamed over wired network.

Recently added an air mouse ($25) for ease of use.

Currently fiddling with LibreElec and installing RetroArch plugin so I can also have some retro gaming fun when I'm not watching an episode or movie.

Total media centre cost including the 32GB SD card is about $90 AUD.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  5. NerfDude

NerfDude Member

400 plus arrow keys :sick:
    I have the older k400r and k830. Happy with both of those.

Edit: those s905/s905X boxes are tremendous value for money. Definitely recommend using librelec as you are, stock android ROMS are generally terrible on those.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  6. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I'm running an Android box in my daughters room loaded with Kodi and the TVheadend addon, Works great, but no good in the home theater as it can't bitstream audio (can't even send multichannel PCM for that matter).

In the hometheater I'm still running a custom built HTPC running a Sandybridge i3 and an Intel iGPU, it also runs Kodi as well as the TVheadend addon, works perfectly as it can send multichannel PCM - It's running Ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS.

My Nexus 9 also runs Kodi as well as the TVheadend addon, great for sitting up in bed watching media.

The server is located in the equipment rack in the garage. It runs an i7 2600 with 16GB of ram, 60GB SSD for the OS and 5TB of storage as well as dual PlayTV tuners and TVheadend server software, also running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

I've got a Chromecast, I find it next to useless for streaming media as I'm not really interested in Plex and haven't had much success with anything else.

7. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Mine:

CASE: Silverstone LC-10M (about 15 years old and has had the internals upgraded 3 times). Silverstone silent power supply.
    Media Player: VLC
    MB: Gigabyte something or other
    CPU: Intel i3 maybe? I forget.
    HD: 3 x 3TB WD Green drives
    RAM: 4GB
    logitech wireless keyboard and mouse.

Connected to a sony Standard Definition TV about the same vintage.
    Really need to upgrade my TV, so i can use XMBC or Kodi or whatever the cool kids are using these days.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  8. NerfDude

NerfDude Member

Kodi can definitely run on that computer.

9. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

Agreed. My kodi pc for the main home theatre room is a core 2 duo e8400. So you'll be fine. As long as it has a vid card in the last 5 years (for decoding video) . i3 might also decode video okay. And whack an ssd in there if you're anal about speed (I am).

10. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Sandy bridge i3 htpc here on kodi, zero issues with 1080 content, x264 is accelerated and CPU handles HEVC

11. grrrr

grrrr Member

Smurfs were all male except for Smurfette that Gargamel created. It is no surprise that MaximusSmurf is anal. :Pirate:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  12. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

It wasn't the computer that was the problem, it's the old SD TV. Whatever I tried to run on it before (Don't think it was Kodi) didn't scale well to the lower SD screen res. IIRC there were control icons I couldn't get to very well. eg, mostly off the screen, so I gave up. On HDMI the TV input is slightly cropped, and VGA it's slightly too small (black borders around the edge of the screen).

I just noticed I actually have Kodi installed on it, will give it another try to see if it's usable, although I only really installed it for live TV, since windows 10 killed windows media center.

13. NerfDude

NerfDude Member

You should be able to overcome that by changing your GPUs scaling settings, or failing that by Kodi's video calibration in video settings. Use the / key to change to window mode to navigate to there if need be.

14. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Any updates on a decent and recent Android box that has come out? Looking to replace my dads mygica 1800 pos.

15. redav

redav Member

I'm using a Minix Neo X8-H. It's generally fine but it requires a regular reboot as it will lock up. It's using Android 4 something which isn't so crash hot. I haven't looked into whether I can do anything about that or not. Allegedly it's good for 4K but it's struggled with some 720's, 1080's and x265's I've thrown at it (tried VLS, XMBC and their 4K player. Funnily enough, Windows Media Player played some of those file just fine) but it usually works without issue.

I think there might be a newer model out?

16. NerfDude

NerfDude Member

have you tried LIBREELEC on your X8-H ? Should breathe a bit of life into it although I think it can't decode 10-bit HEVC.

There are newer models with the s905 or s912 cpu, plenty of info about them on Kodi hardware forum.

17. NerfDude

NerfDude Member

Start reading https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112

What android apps do you require ?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  18. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

For the princely sum of $38.13 I bought a MECOOL M8S PRO+:
    https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/328404

Flashed the ROM as per:
    http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player...cool-m8s-pro-tvstock-nexus-rom-android-tv-7-1

Now I have a Kodi box for the bedroom sometimes makes me wonder why I spent $240-250 on a NUC...............

Haven't done any meaningful testing of it yet (apart from watching some 1080p TV shows) especially as I don't have a 4K TV and I had to throw the HDMI cable into the bin (it came all folded up - display kept dropping out if unit moved - swapped to a spare cable and unit is solid now) but for the price it is looking like a good unit.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  19. sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

have any of you guys heard of these yearly subscription android boxes with 300+ channels that come from se asia?

my mil brought one back here from singapore and she pays the guy $50 a year for this plus $100+ one off for the box

how or what is the system they run on there? the menu is very basic with a few large icons down the bottom and movies are not something you have a choice, it just gets update with latest 1080p rips monthly or so but its got all sports channels and se asia channels plus some indian and chinese channels but heaps of sports channels

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/android-set-top-boxes-for-tv-streaming-copyright-or-wrong

20. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Really don't need random freezes, as it's for my dad.

Ok. It's for dad, so Kodi, Youtube mainly. I find the YT plugin for Kodi is pretty shite. Me personally I use a HTPC so I'm sorted.