What does the industry want from youngbloods?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by trackhappy, Jun 17, 2015.

1. |jay|

|jay| Member

I'm about to start a cert 4 which includes ccna 1 and 2 so I can't tell you if this is good or not but I found this YouTube channel. I believethe guy is a ccna lecturer, he covers everything you need to know for free with 84 videos, it could be a good resource. I found it on reddit in the ccna section, which is another good resource.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmdYg02XJt6QRQfYjyQcMPfS3mrSnFbRC

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  2. Dutch Wink

Dutch Wink Member

Yep - I think it's Pearson who hosts the exams. Very straightforward, simple to book.

3. OP
    OP
    trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Thanks again, guys. Awesome, awesome advice. Will look at getting the materials asap (as soon as finances allow, really). Also, slightly off topic, but am in the market right now...

P's in September. Will a car be beneficial for work/getting work? Have my eye on a couple and I figure it can only increase my chances of work, if having any effect at all?

Cheers

4. zachnedwich

zachnedwich (Banned or Deleted)

Don't have a car, have an IT job

5. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

move to Perth and get a job with Kinetic. They will hire anyone at all related to IT!

6. colmaz

colmaz Member

Actually, Perth isn't the only option with new contracts in Sydney (Qantas) and Melbourne (Vic Police).

Good company to work for with plenty of opportunities. They have hired people for non-technical skills previously, where it makes sense, e.g. people with good customer focus for SD roles.

7. digian

digian Member

Welcome to the enterprise! Strap yourself in for a few years of shit pay and get yourself onto the contractor hourly rate as soon as possibly my friend. Following that, pick a niche (storage, security, vendor XYZ) as soon as possible if you want to break into the big bucks.

8. OP
    OP
    trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Hey guys, thought I'd give a little update.

Just had an interview today with a rather large domains company, doing level 2 helpdesk for managed services. They seemed impressed with what I knew, even going as far to say that I'm selling myself short on my resume, and that AWS and S3 knowledge was more what their level 3's did, which they described as "the guys that have halos on their heads". I didn't think I was that good... :Paranoid: I'm probably misinterpreting, though. There's still huge gaps in my knowledge, particularly Linux. I also don't know quite as much as I'd like to about cloud computing.

For what that's worth, there's a part of me that still feels like it's too good to happen. For all my apparent technical knowledge, I was still a bundle of nerves in the interview. I know I'll be fine in a job and a routine, but it doesn't help when for job interviews I tend to have the memory of a goldfish. :tired:

Either way, it's gonna be a long arse couple of weeks. How do people handle nerves in interviews, or is it kind of expected? I'm rather worried about that.

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  9. millsy

millsy Member

If you are interviewing to be a sales rep and you're a mess in an interview you're fucked. If you're new to the working world, have little work experience and you're not customer facing 24/7 I wouldn't stress if you're a bit wobbly.

Being aware of knowledge gaps is important and actively aiming to address them is a good thing to demonstrate.

Hopefully all goes well :)

10. Ding.Chavez

Ding.Chavez Member

Go in there with a good attitude and almost a "nothing to loose" mindset, talk to the person like a PERSON not a boss/interviewer, be calm and talk slow and with confidence, don't umm or ahhh but rather take a pause it shows you are thinking more than 'shit I dont know' or stumbling. After that your "kick ass skills" will answer the questions for themselves.

With things like "so what are you linux and cloud computing skills like" try to say things like I have used *nix before and I am really interested in learning more, instead of "not very good" - words like I am learning and want experience and shit like that win me over in interviews and I hire/fire 3-4 a year, so I guess I know something by now... but then again.

11. OP
    OP
    trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Went for another interview with another company today; same story I've heard pretty much every other time. "You have the technical skills but we need more customer service experience".

Well what the fuck. It seems like you can be Stephen Hawking but if you don't know how to talk to people, lol good luck, A for effort, but you're still fucked.

I felt like a complete retard this time around. Tuesday was alright, those guys were pretty cool, the one I spoke to today... I could see entirely where she was coming from, though. Anyone can do the technical shit but the majority of the job is talking to people (I know this much), and apparently I fucking suck at it. No real surprise considering how well I handle interviews. I'm sure I'd be fine given the chance, problem is no one is willing to give me the chance. I'm too much of a liability, it seems.

As of yesterday I've been palmed off to *yet another* employment place that I've literally never heard of, so I guess now's a great time for shit kicker jobs. Already tried McDonalds and KFC, took all of a day for them to discard my resume and email back essentially "thanks but don't call us, we won't call you either".

I'm at the point now where I would clean toilets if it meant a paycheck. I'd happily do manual labouring, fucking jump at the chance, but when you're having nerve issues that makes the left side of your body go numb, that might be a bit of a liability. I'm fine for office work, though. I would move 600km west of Charleville if it meant a bloody paycheck. I would literally pack my shit and jump on a plane tomorrow if it meant a paycheck.

I'm going out of my mind sitting at home but every interview just either feels like a complete waste of time for all parties involved, spinning my wheels, or would just otherwise be out of my league (I'm not going for 100k engineering jobs here, I'm happy to start at the bottom, I expect to start at the bottom, but I can't even get there).

I just want to work. I want to be productive and make something of myself. Hopefully this new employment provider will pull their finger out as I fully intend on showing up every day. None of this phone contact once a month bullshit, I want to fucking work and if that means I have to clean toilets, I'm happy to do it. That'll be my first stop after I get off this train.

</rant>

12. power

power Member

If you want those soft skills you need to develop them. It's pretty easy to tell if someone doesn't have them and even easier to get rid of them later if it turns out they don't have them.

13. Ding.Chavez

Ding.Chavez Member

I know you know this, but just keep doing it, you will find something. The law of averages will prevail.

14. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Do you have any skills that you could sell on freelancers.com? It won't pay bucketloads but it will give you something to do.

15. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Interviewing well is a valuable skill, and it pays to learn it.

Have pre-canned answers for the usual HR questions. I've been using mostly same spiel for 'so tell us a bit about yourself' for the past 10 years... each time, the older or less relevant stuff gets left out, and the newer or more relevant stuff gets highlighted.

Communication skills aren't useful purely for entry level jobs, they will help you out in almost any job you want to do, and time should be spent learning them.

I detest people. My circle of friends is Tiny and hasn't changed for a very long time. I don't like new people, and hate strangers. But I can pretend I care for long enough to get through basic interactions in a professional environment, It took a decent amount of time for me to learn how to do it, and I don't really understand why people do it, but If someone makes small talk at me, I can do a passable impression to make it back.

The time of the Basement dwelling neckbeard has all but passed us by.

16. bcann

bcann Member

If you want people skills go work for someone like hardly normal or good guys. Go full retail sales for a few weeks/months.

If you can't talk to a person after that experience, go live in a cave somewhere for the rest of your life.

Unfortunately to get to the point where you don't need to talk to end users, you need years of experience generally, its the shit kicker jobs where you talk to people all day every day, and that's where retail sales will really help you learn how to talk to everyday people and improve your people skills.

17. millsy

millsy Member

He's already said there he's trying for fast food and whatnot.

All I can suggest OP is volunteering at charity places, at least you can build up soft skills and they'd be happy for the help. Doesn't help money of course but it's something.

18. OP
    OP
    trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Thanks guys, I just had to vent a bit. I never really thought my soft skills were actually that bad, but maybe that's not as apparent to others when in an interview (i.e. when stressed). But I'm honestly not sure, clearly they do need work.

A small part of me has always wanted to try my hand at being a barista, so maybe that's an option, but I feel like 22 is already leaving things late to start an I.T. career and the last thing I want to do is prolong that if I don't need to. That and taking up a career in would feel like my studies have been a complete waste of time. But as I said, I just want to work.

Will see how this other interview turns out, I guess...

Cheers

19. millsy

millsy Member

The worst thing you can do is nothing, better off making coffee and applying for jobs and studying vs not :)

Hell in the Netherlands most people don't even enter the workforce until they're 25-26 odd

20. FiShy

FiShy Member

Also dont soft skills in the netherlands.