1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What does the industry want from youngbloods?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by trackhappy, Jun 17, 2015.

1. joe_sixpack

joe_sixpack Member

Join your local Toastasters to improve your communication skills.

2. millsy

millsy Member

Haha I don't find the Dutch as bad as their reputation would indicate. It's quite refreshing to not beat around the bush on issues. They're not rude though, they just don't fuck around.

3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

1. If you tell me your a gun at something and I ask a basic question and you fail to answer then your done. Be truthful, you have no real world experience you are not a gun but a knowledgeable newb ready to learn.

2. Manage your expectations, 1st job is the hardest to get, and as stated previously people want to see someone whom they will be able to depend apon no matter what the position is. You get 1 chance so make the 1st impression a good one, I have never meet you before so impress me with manners, punctuality, communication and basic level of knowledge when asked technical questions. Most people over 25 think hipsters are wankers so act like a normal person.

3. FINISH something, if I read what you told me in a resume you would not make the short list because you haven't completed anything and i want someone who does complete what they start.

4. Write a proper cover letter that is individualized for the position you are applying for, and modify your resume to emphasis the skills required for the job. Cookie cutter letters and resumes do work, if you have an employment history to wow me with, but first jobs you need to stand out because everyone else is in the same boat.

5. FINALLY, do not give up, continue to teach yourself, do certificates even non related IT ones like First Aid, Fire Warden, ITIL or Helddesk Software. All the additional little skills make you better then the 100+ others with the same CCNA Certificate.

Good Luck, don't give up once you crack it, it will be all worthwhile.

4. FiShy

FiShy Member

Yea but is everyone being like that.

Try being dutch in a Anglo country... but just think you are a ****