What drives for these setups?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Revenger, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Revenger

Revenger Member

Redoing my HTPC and spare pc I am wondering what drives I should be using.

I put my spare 256GB Samsung 840 pro SSD into my rebuild HTPC X58A UD3R for the first drive.
    So now I need to work out what I want for the second drive for playing media and playing games on the couch any recommendations?
    That drive I want about 1-2TB of storage so was thinking a standard drive over SSD (costs) but not sure what one.

Also I have another X58A chinese mobo was my HTPC now my spare / second PC.
    For this I run Windows and Linux so want a decent drive for this as I use Qemu in linux and will be my linux learning system (though I can always use my main in sig for linux if I needed but run linux on a second pc).
    I was thinking the Pioneer 1TB SSD but I heard while its basic it slows on larger file reading and transfers.

Basically I have 2 systems that need 2 drives one a HTPC for media / games and my second for windows / linux.

2. FOTW

FOTW Member

Why don't create a plex server out of your second PC, and not worry about storing media on your HTPC just get a 1TB or 512GB SSD for games?

For the second PC I would recommend small SSD for OS and what ever HDD/SSD you can get for second drive.

My plex server is a old HP desktop with pentium quad core 120GB SSD connected to USB3.0 port with win 10 to go installed and 2 x 2TB Western Digital hdds in software raid 0 to give 4TB. PC was given to me for free and only has 2 sata ports on MB and no PCIE at all. Basically a laptop in a desktop chassis. Works fine as a plex server to my chromecast and my in laws LG smart TV. Its shit at transcodeing H.265 however H.264 is fine.

Plus you can now play around with linux and plex.

3. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Have a Linux server here and a Synology Nas I store my media on as well as some virtual machines.

Main thing is just getting a good second drive for the HTPC for steam and games couch playing and temp media storage as I don't actually use my HTPC for long term that's my NAS's job, I copy files over when I watch stuff and delete afterwards.
    I use MPC-HC with MadVR and bitstream audio and PowerDVD for some ISO's.

As for the second pc I need about 1tb for the OS's can be a couple drives depending etc for Windows and Linux to be installed.
    As I'll be playing with both systems with Qemu etc etc.

4. FOTW

FOTW Member

Personally I wouldn't put my steam library on a standard HDD, not anymore, I cant stand loading times. Just get the largest SSD you can afford. I recently moved my game libraries over to a second hand Fusion-io Scale 2 1.65TB PCIe SSD, I picked 1 of these up for €140, its insane how much quicker games load from these.

If you don't want to go for a SSD drive maybe go for a large capacity hybrid drive maybe a 2TB Seagate Firecude SSHD gaming drive. Not sure what they sell in AUS for but their about €130 here in Ireland.

5. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Atm I am not playing around with this but for those wondering my thoughts are this:

I will get a 1TB SSD for the Media PC,
    - For now games are on a 80GB applications partition on the main SSD with a older 750GB AAKS WD for media.

My Second PC I will be planning a few drives mby a Crucial MX500 as they are cheap and its a extra Linux / Windows box.
    I am also thinking of looking at using Proxmox on this system for hosting various testing VM's, while my Synology NAS works its not as fast or flexiable.
    - So the NAS will host VM's that I keep running and Proxmox for stuff I spin up for a bit or need a faster system for and for learning as I try to not have all my pc's on together everyday 'power bills'

6. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Even get an 860 QVO over a HDD, you can get them as low as $130 on discount/cashback.

7. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Yes, but it will be initially slow as once you fill up the 30? GB SLC buffer the 1 TB QVO's only do about 70 MB's but since OP only needs to do this once with regards to filling it up it won't be a huge issue and will be much cheaper than the EVO's, also turning on NTFS compression for the whole drive would probably be a good idea because even if the data gets fragmented later on when its updated the SSD is unaffected by the low random 4K IOPS issue that spinning rust suffers from. Also 2TB and 4TB QVO's speed is currently about 150 MB's and next gen QVO's should hopefully have higher speeds as my 250 GB Samsung 840 was about 70 MB's and the same sized 850 bumped that up to about 150 MB's.

8. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

The 850 EVOs are the same (I can hit 80MB/sec in about 30 seconds), heck even the 970 EVOs get super slow after the cache fills up and you're waiting for it to write it out.