1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What electronics or electrical did you do today?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by /invariance\, Jun 9, 2019.

1. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

That is so so sick. I've got an avo meter model 7 from the mid 1930's. I absolutely love these meters.

2. _zak

_zak Member

Got my boards back from OSH Park today, so set about building the first one.

image0.jpg

I foolishly decided to try and skimp on load capacitors for the crystal as the MCU data sheet states that it can drive ones with load < 12.5 pF, but it looks like my faith there was a shade misplaced:

clock.png

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  3. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Amp board populated, testing tomorrow
    8DADDB26-6E81-4A04-8C86-7B70C9E6EFC9.jpeg

ericks likes this.
  4. dakiller

Heat sink mounted, powered up and sound tested 1 channel.

Spent a good hour troubleshooting why the 12v switching regulator wasn’t working. I had 4.2k resistors and the 180k resistors swapped around in my smd resistor kit, and the regulator wouldn’t startup properly. Damn 0603 resistors and their tiny writing on them.

7CBC9AF7-AB69-479C-990C-BD940BFB8A35.jpeg

5. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Busy day for me actually (sorta), for a change:

- had a quick look at chassis-bashing my little gasless MiG welder back into shape, after acquiring it back from the arseclown I lent it to earlier this year who managed to cleverly drop it off the bench.

- short road trip to acquire a 500 gig SSHD at a reasonably sane price. Currently Ghosting a 320 gig spinner drive across to it even as I type.

- dismantled a Soniq 40" HD LED Idiot Lantern that won't come out of standby, nothing blindingly obvious on any of the boards. 10 minutes tickling Uncle Google, looks like I might need a couple of 1117 adjustable regulators in SOT223 to get it going (hopefully!), then either give it back to it's owner or inherit a 40" monitor... Anyone got a couple of 1117-ADJ that need a new home?

- dismantled an AEG 18 volt 1.5 amp battery pack for the same owner that won't charge. Now have to work out the cost effectiveness on him buying a new pack against me dicking about sourcing 'n shoehorning 5 higher-capacity 18650 batteries into it, 'coz 4 of them are shot.

- and about to start dicking about with a Logitech Harmony 300 remote that someone was going to throw away, simply because they lost the battery cover. People these days, I dunno...

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Tested some 2kv tubes for my next audio amplifier project. Custom designed supply and tester to test up to approx 2kv on the anode and beefy supply for the filaments 4v @ 5amps. Had to sit behind the plexiglass shield to test. Scary shit.

dakiller likes this.
  7. dakiller

Pictures, details, schematics, theory of operations?

8. OP
    OP
    /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

I'm looking at a busted Astral Pool robot but need some help with what to do next (here).
    The unit doesn't move in the normal horizontal position, ie on flat ground, but the drive motors operate then it is oriented 90-180 degrees on any side.

9. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

that'd look right at home in my evil doctor secret island lair.

11. OP
    OP
    /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Nicely finished :thumbup:

12. money_killer

money_killer Member

Started my tool box lighting project. Basically use 18v DC tradie power tool battery to power 12v led in ya tool box lazy man way so ya don't have to run cables

so 18v battery to DC to DC digital step down transformer to 12v DC, then power a 12v led light .

Last edited: May 29, 2020 at 3:00 PM
  13. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Thanks. Now I'm going to work on a tractor.