1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What electronics or electrical did you do today?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by /invariance\, Jun 9, 2019.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

CRTs scale at about 1KV per 1" of diagonal screen. How much fun is working on a 30" / ~30KV CRT? :)

2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Cathode ray tubes are easy to work with. When you get to work with klystron and big transmitting thyratrons or triodes more can go wrong.

3. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

IMG_1963.jpeg

I populated the DAC board a few weeks ago, but I'm getting around to coding the firmware to run it now.

I spent 3 hours trying to work out why I couldn't program the micro. It would read the device signature just fine, so it was doing something. I managed to use the low power footprint of the micro on the board instead of the normal version, as that was the one in the PCB library to use and I assumed that they had the same pinout. They do, except for the Vcore pin locations, so the internal core regulator didn't have a cap on it. Bodged in a wire to jump from the other pin I wired the cap for Vcore to (that was just some unused io pin I don't care about) and thought I was in business to program it.

Nope.

My Jtag programmer, a Segger EDU Mini, only works with micros running on 3.3v, and this setup has it at 1.8v.

Time to buy another Jtag programmer.

No firmware coding this weekend.

4. mtma

mtma Member

Ah footprints. It seems they can't be checked enough!

Underway with a little amplifier unit of my own. Digital bi-amped 4 channel amp system for use in the car. This is the primary, another amp will live up the rear with a digital connection to it.

I thought about making it a head-unit but the scope promptly exploded with DAB+ etc - cbf, I just want to enjoy the car. But I am going to put an expansion connector on the board in the case that I want to expand them to BCM units or something else in the future.

[​IMG]

5. dakiller

IC’s used? Schematic?

DAB+? Who listens to broadcast radio anymore?

Car audio just needs to be a CarPlay/Android Auto for me, or straight Bluetooth at the minimum.

6. mtma

mtma Member

LOL

In the car I don't fuss about what it is that's on most of the time so it's radio. I listen to completely different music/stuff at home compared to in the car. The car radio just has to start fast, respond to user inputs crisply and do its job without bugs.

Tech stuff...
    ADC: ADAU1978
    Digital: AK4103 (TX) AK4113 (RX)
    MCU: RX231
    Amps: BM28783A
    AVDD Reg: ADM7154
    DVDD Reg: ADM7160
    5V: BD9G102G

The secondary amp will only have the amps, digital RX and the mcu, everything will come down the digital RX to it including configuration.

Some logic chips doing selection/buffering. USB port for config and the CAN tx/rx to be added as well as a couple of other things. CAN's not on the plan to be used, but it's a just in case thing.

The amps have 12 integral bi-quads, but the MCUs will supplement those to provide long delays, FIR or anything else.

Rather boom-box way of doing things but I wanted to see it for myself :lol:

7. Dice

Dice Member

I have a Segger Edu (non mini) which appears to cope with that voltage, are you in Victoria?

8. dakiller

I am, I also ordered the Segger Edu as well. Element14 have them locally, should get it by Tuesday

9. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Excitement City here - changed the headlight bulbs in the Foz to LED ones, ditching the one that blew low beam. Also replaced the front parker bulbs to LED ones and the dead rear parker for a stock T10 incandescent.

Stop yawning. It's now legal after dark...

10. koopz

koopz Member

baked another NVidia card for another one of my mate's kids to fix it.

The little bastard and his Dad didn't even say thank you.

Gonna buy him a Sony console for his birthday so I never have to help him or his Dad again.

I hate people.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    money_killer likes this.
  11. izablue

izablue Member

Fairly mundane here. Replaced two, of 4, LED downlights in the kitchen. One about a week ago with a spare I had. They are nameplated as SAL S9041WW WH 23 volts DC @ 350mA i.e. 8W. The reason for the failure is that the transformer PSU failed - zero volts output. They are labelled AcTEC Pluto DIM 350mA/12W.

Are the LED downlights still working? Cobbled two laptop battery packs together - aluminium cooking foil and sticky tape, the packs are out of working laptops! - and we have light. Tested with an Ozito 18V pack and lights dimly - good for go/no go test.

Order 4 (so they will all look the same eventually) and they arrived today. No way could I reach the socket base of the second downlight to plug in the new unit. Out with the ladder and into the ceiling. That base is a bloody long way from the downlight hole and no way to get it closer. Get Director, Finance and Planning to pass the plug end of the new unit through the hole - just barely reaches.

Tested the second unit with the Ozito pack and it works so now I have two 23VDC LED downlights to play with.

12. OP
    OP
    /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Wish me luck replacing an smd :lol::lol::lol:

221AEDFE-E5B2-4ACB-9CBC-B097F581A3DA.jpeg

13. Elder

Elder Member

Making myself a STM32G0 QFP48 dev board atm

Click to view full size!

Going for separate daughter board design, divided up by comms port... makes most sense for what I'm going to be doing with it, plus I really don't like stacking boards and fussing over pin contention, but this way does sort of lock me into GPIO availability decisions (short of making daughter boards that span across multiple "slots").

Size is 10cm x 10cm to abuse JLPCB pricing.

The 0.1" pins at each daughter board slot are doubled up so I can easily get a logic analyser onto them.

Vdd is broken out separately for each daughter board "slot" plus ones for the mcu / base board and aux. These each go through a 2x1 0.1" short jumper (the 2x11 header) so I can put a current sensor on them.

Still gotta add a couple more power supply connector options in the space down the bottom, prob one of the fairly standard JST style battery connectors and a screw terminal.

Anyone know what Mouser shipping is like at the moment? Need to buy myself a Segger EDU and its a bit cheaper than Element14 for both the Segger itself and for a 20pin 0.1" to 10pin 0.05" SWD adapter (Mouser has the adafruit one in stock).

14. dakiller

Digikey via DHL has been good. 7 days for delivery.

Elder likes this.
  15. C0V3R

C0V3R Member

Send them an invoice :D

16. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

I had a $2k order from Mouser fulfilled recently, ordered 22nd, delivered 26th! That was UPS.

17. mtma

mtma Member

Yeah Digikey has been fulfilling fine via DHL, as long as they have the stock you should be good. Use less of Mouser but seems to be ok too.

18. heller44

heller44 Member

Unless you are in W.A. Makes it quickly to aus, but then most times it has to come road freight east-west due to lack of air cargo capacity. Even had fedex express come road freight from another supplier..

19. mtma

mtma Member

Leave no signals behind.

No wait, still need some things... on my 5th A3 sheet and the 1st is embarrassingly messy from all the last minute reshuffles.

Also does anyone know if there's any convenient USB-C cables/breakouts made up that have both CC's exposed so you can pull it up for USB-C Debug Accessory mode? I've implemented my debugger this time around to the connector so it will be interesting to see how it goes!

(Also Designspark sucks at handling things like micro-controllers where you might reassign pins at some points in time. I guess it's only a free package from a component supplier but still)

[​IMG]

20. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

I replaced the dome switches in an XBox one controller that had unreliable / repeat click problems with the + pad (left and right). It was absolutely unsuccessful despite a bunch of tests including manual actuation of the domes.

I think the controller must have had some sort of electronic failure. Most likely a failure of some sort of switch de-bouncing components/logic. I think it has always been a bit flaky, not sure if it deteriorated or just finally got the better of me.

Salvaged some spares and threw most of it in the bin.