1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What fender amp to buy?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by shino, Oct 31, 2019.

1. shino

shino Member

seen a hot rod 40Watt fender combo amp for $455. s/h. how much is this a bargain.
    I think 40 watts is too loud anyways. I like the jangly surf sound guitars. Recommend me a tube amp.

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Good luck figuring it out. My guitar teacher liked an amp a friend has, and I looked it up, thinking I'd keep an eye out on gumtree for him. There are a million different ones all called the same thing.

3. alexb618

alexb618 Member

definitely 100% a blues jr, they are 15w i think and probably still too loud to get a nice broken up tone in the house but they are so nice sounding, and i think they are fender's lowest wattage tube amp.

i had a 5w tube amp and i think my neighbours still hate me for it. if i was getting back into electrics i would be going for a good SS amp but that's just me, everyone's situation is different.

4. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I've always liked the low end distortion and mid range from some older variants using EL34 output tubes. If you get some of the older Mullard's they don't break early. What's your spending budget and how much does maintenance matter to you?

5. OP
    OP
    shino

shino Member

there a youtube vid of 1Watt amp all tubes. What do you guys reckon? I'm currently using a Blackstar Fly 3. I've never had a good sounding amp.. before this. Or if I had one I don't know how to adjust the setting.

6. ndt

ndt Member

I have at Vox AC4(the blue one) which I love. Great, compact clean amp that can get a little gritty if needed but without blowing the roof off. Only downsides are no built-in reverb and I’ve never really found that 10in speakers take distortion pedals very well. I’ve also got a Peavey classic 30 which is also a great amp, good reverb, good tone from clean to classic rock.

Comes down what you like, Vox have the AC4(4watt, 10in and 12in speaker versions) and the AC10 and AC15. Fender has a bunch of low watt amps now days. The blues junior(15w 12in speaker), junior pro(15w but 10in speaker), champ X2/XD which is 15w valve but had digital stuff going on, not sure the speaker it has, and they also have the bluesbreaker series which is like 7w or 15w too. Peavey have started doing 20w versions of the classic 30. Marshall have 5w origin combos which is more vintage hard rock sounding. The fender blues junior is the gold standard when it comes to clean, low watt amps.

7. hello people

hello people Member

Fender Super Champ x2 is a great amp with sweet reverb. It has modelling but if you don't like that, just use the clean channel. That's what I do and it's a sweet, sweet Fender amp tone. Great with Strats and Teles

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

Johnny Diesel's up at the music shop today, demonstrating Vox products. Obviously, he must rate them.

9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

10. bangmango

bangmango Member

Is the amp only for home/bedroom use,or jamming/practice with other noise makers..ie drums bass etc..?

11. OP
    OP
    shino

shino Member

home. bedroom.

12. johnd16

johnd16 Member

Probably overkill for your needs, but the new Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb seems to be getting quite good reviews for a digital amp.

13. alexb618

alexb618 Member

honestly you dont want a tube amp in your bedroom, even getting a 5w to sound good is going to annoy everyone within 100m of you.

go for a solid state, there are tonnes to choose from for what you want.

where are you located?

14. OP
    OP
    shino

shino Member

Got a black star fly3. Think there 1 watt amps

15. GarethB

GarethB Member

I'm going to suggest a Chinese brand, Joyo. They have a range of 20 watt hybrid (valve preamp stage, solid sate power stage) mini amp heads called "Bantamp". Each model in the range is based on some other brand, the Bantamp "Zombie" is designed for Mesa Boogie tones, the Bantamp "Meteor" is designed for UK Orange tones, etc. There are about 6 or 7 different models in the range at the moment. The model closest to a classic clean to moderate distortion Fender amp is the Bantamp "Bluejay", All the Bantamp heads are priced in the Aus $230 - 250 range. A matching 1x8 inch speaker cab from Joyo costs Aus $200, so you could get 1 head and the cab for around Aus$ 430 - 450, new.

All Bantamp models have a built in effects loop, Bluetooth, and a headphone socket,

Have a look at some demos of them on Youtube, As for sellers, look at Artist Guitars based in Sydney or Swamp Industries in the ACT.

Actually, I just had a quick look and Swamp Industries is currently offering a package deal of a Bantamp Bluejay head and the Bantamp 1x8 inch speaker cab for Aus $330, shipping is extra at that price. https://www.swamp.net.au/joyo-bantamp-bluejay-20w-hybrid-tube-amp-head-us-clean-w-8-cab

16. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Did you find an amp yet?
    455 bucks for a hotrod deluxe is a great deal. 40w is definitely too much for at home play though, but they do have a master volume knob...
    Jangly surf sounds = Fender amps, with spring reverb. Either grab that HR deluxe, or as alexb618 says, a Blues Junior.

17. OP
    OP
    shino

shino Member

got a blackstar fly 3 and a marshall dsl1c. mmm, so loud. think something is missing tonewise. youtube demos sound great. i don't sound great at home.

18. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Marshall make great tube amps, and the DSL1C is great if you're into modern rock/heavy rock tones, but its about as far from jangly surf sounds as you'll get..
    The fly 3 I have no experience with, but Blackstar are borne of Marshall goodness, so I'd imagine it'd have that british flavour..

You need a fender dude :)

For purely at-home playing, try a Yamaha THR10C (make sure its the C model). This will give you some variety of tones, based on models of high end amps - Fender twin, Vox AC30, etc. All at bedroom volume, and with effects you can add/tweak - reverb being what you want. Otherwise, go get that Hotrod deluxe or a Blues Jr.

19. OP
    OP
    shino

shino Member

may I say the 1 watt marshall is so loud even if on 0.1 watt.... i don't think a higher wattage amp will suffice. am I wrong?

20. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Yeah, tube amps are super loud. Try the Yamaha THR10C I think.. You'll get a used one for fairly cheap, 250 sorta thing.