What fender amp to buy?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by shino, Oct 31, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    shino

shino Member

My guitar is a westone (masumtou)... wonder if I should buy a strat HH or just up grade the pick ups.. wonder if that make the different. there one for $670 on fb right now...mimexico. do like les paul sound

2. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

well for surf tones you want a strat into a fender amp with splashy reverb. I'd recommend grabbing a strat - Fender MIM or MIJ are good. Mex should be about 500 bucks used, MIJ are about 750+. The MIJ strats are commonly made to vintage fender specs for added mojo, but most MIJ fender pickups are kinda average.. The new MIM 'Player series' strats and teles I've played have been really good. Up there with the MIJ counterparts!

3. OP
    OP
    shino

shino Member

how much is a mim hh humbuckers worth?

4. sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

If you're still looking, I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, best amp I've ever owned. I paid $550, so $450 is a good deal, but it may need new tubes and/or new reverb tank.

They're loud as fuck but there are attenuator mods available. Or just run into a pedalboard and reduce the volume coming out of there.

I tried the Blues Jr, didn't have the tube sound I wanted (sounded shit IMO). Prior to this had a Orange Tiny Terror running into a 212 cab (Yamaha speakers... something from the 80's, can't remember the exact model), nice clean tone and easy to get those tube drive tones too, but clean wasn't loud enough for me (has to get over drums/bass etc when we jam).

Also looking at a USA Tele, played a couple at the music swop shop, there is an amazing difference between them, even all USA, same pickup config. Just different years. Played about 5-6 with a mate, all priced $1200-$1800. 5 were twangy and shit and not warm at all, one was amazing, twangy and bluesy and also warm (into a Hot Rod Deville, closest thing to my Deluxe).

Wouldn't waste your time with MIM guitars unless you're planning to upgrade the pickups.

But in that case, get a 90's/Early 00's MIM Squier, and upgrade the PUPs in that :thumbup:

Just my 2c :)

shino likes this.
  5. bangmango

bangmango Member

Ok So you paid $550..did it have new tubes and good reverb tank then?

6. sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

Yeah it had a new reverb tank insyalled just befode I bought it, but not sure about tubes.

7. Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

Tubes are pretty easy to replace and unless you’re a heavy user, should last a long time.

I’m a bit of a tube amp snob though.

8. bangmango

bangmango Member

Ah ha, so u like using Chinese tubes ,,ha ha JK..

9. ndt

ndt Member

Really? I have a 2004 MIM SSH strat and I think the stock pickups sound pretty good.

10. sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

Yeah I'm not an expert, just my 2c and from what I've heard.

- I have a 2001 MIM Squire Strat. SSS. Plays like butter, beautiful action, pickups sound very average, 0 tonal clarity.
    - I had a mid-00's MIM Fender Strat, SSS, pickups sounded better than the Squier but no wow factor. Action was shit even after 2 setups by different people. Sold it.
    - Guitarist in my old band has a 2010ish MIM Fender Deluxe Players Strat. Beautiful guitar, better action than my Fender was but not as good as my Squier, still no wow factor.
    - Drummer in another old band has a 1990's USA Fender Strat. Road worn AF. Plays amazing, at least as good as my Squier, and sounds amazing, especially on the Fender Deluxe or a Twin Reverb
    - My uncle has an early 70's USA Tele. Also fucking amazing in every aspect.

Plus demo-ing quite a few at Music Swop Shop over the years :thumbup:

But it does seem like there are some terrible instruments and a few amazing instruments all MIM so who knows :rolleyes:

11. bangmango

bangmango Member

Yeah ,the Tex Mex is a very good Strat sounding pup...over 7 Ohms..comes down to how well you play..certainly good enough with eq..ing

12. ndt

ndt Member

There's a great fretted americana video where phil x plays purple rain on a strat with Texas specials and it just sounds amazing.

13. bangmango

bangmango Member

Yeah,Texas specials, Tex-Mex very good strat..sounding..rumoured to be a progression of the X-1 strat pups from 1979..hotter strat wound..

14. OP
    OP
    shino

shino Member

next question... what guitar pedals should i dig into?

15. bangmango

bangmango Member

Lol Ha HaHaHaHaHaHa..you just need to start playing..it will all become very clear..

16. OP
    OP
    shino

shino Member

been playing a lot lately

17. GarethB

GarethB Member

If you're asking about pedals for a classic surf tone, it's really just tremolo and spring reverb.
    If you're asking about other tones/styles of music, it depends on the tone/style you want.